News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Small Operators

Started by j_rp_wright, August 17, 2012, 02:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j_rp_wright

Just wondering the average these companies last, there's a lot of small operators but centro never seem to take them that seriously regarding all this bus reviews. Is there much space to find a gap in the market these days are is there only chance to survive is by competing on major corridors and bus routes.

BU07 LGO

I have never understood why so many small operators set up in the West Midlands because there really isn't any gaps left. NXWM have everything covered really, and it seems the small operators have to resort to doing the little estates dropping old biddies off at the front door as that is the only way they are able to get by!

j_rp_wright

That's exactually what I was thinking and apart from a few, if they were all taken off the road tomorrow would they be missed Or even noticed by passengers!

Badger

Banga Travel for one has lasted a long, long time. It seemed to get completely ignored in the bus reviews (still even has 5xx route numbers). Then there's Travel Express who don't seem to be going anywhere soon and compete directly with NX on the 32, 33, 11, 1 and 598.

A lot of the small operators around here though have been eaten up by Midland so now Arriva.

To be fair a lot of them didn't start out so small at all. Take the Green Bus Service for example (not "The Green Bus Company"), they used to be massive, but ended up with a fleet of a few merc vans. They eventually became Whitewings and then their routes gobbled up by Midland and Arriva.

Isn't there one in Perry Bar thats been whittled down to one bus and one driver?
My local's the 3 and 63.
Casual bus user. Doesn't know much other than some buses look nicer than others.
Contractual web developer, self employed game designer/programmer, Wolverhampton bjorn and bread.

John

Quote from: Badger on August 17, 2012, 05:16:53 PM
Isn't there one in Perry Bar thats been whittled down to one bus and one driver?

Yes, that is Hi Ride on the 40X from One Stop to Bearwood.

http://www.wmbusphotos.com/Hi-Ride/hi_ride_g447lep.html

I was never aware that they done more than 1 route! I only thought they have ever done the 40X.

fleetline6477

Central Logistics / Redwing Contracts must have been operating for 10 years or more now.

Central Logistics with their green Iveco 16 seaters and 1 white Merc began on the 17 (City - Tile Cross) running placing journeys on the 79E (Birmingham - Hill Top), they also had a brief attempt at 14E (City - Tile Cross) running placing journeys on the 16 (City - Hamstead) as Redwing Contracts.

They then ran 88E City - Londonderry changing and re-routing to 89E now terminating at the Town Hall. They seem to finish by about 3 p.m. in the afternoon.

The company is run by a father and 2 sons.

monkeyjoe

Claribels in East Birmingham continue to hold their own. I would like to see them expand their bus operations.

Ash

Quote from: monkeyjoe on August 17, 2012, 10:50:31 PM
Claribels in East Birmingham continue to hold their own. I would like to see them expand their bus operations.

Its seems really difficult and financially risky for smaller operators to expand their bus operations at the current time even the larger companies like rotala have been reducing there services and havent started any new commerical services for a few years now i think the 59 was the last one black diamond started commercially but monkeyjoe as i dont know East Birmingham services that well which services would you suggest they tried or make up from new?

BU07 LGO

I remember Diamond on the 451 for a few weeks a couple of years back then they abandoned it!

Discodave

Quote from: BU07 LGO on August 18, 2012, 12:54:16 AM
I remember Diamond on the 451 for a few weeks a couple of years back then they abandoned it!
Petes did ok on the 451 but let it die with old buses and not responding to NXWM if like the 401 and 2 they stuck at it I think diamond would have inherited a good route the short time i was at petes and used a good bus on it I picked up good loads all day and a bonus (by doing things correctly and by the book it was TWM who were the bad ones cut up by them by agressive behaviour not saying all WB drivers are like that)

vinh1000

I noticed that small operators do tend to do routes that are generally not main routes (ie housing estates)
Just wondered how long Joe's Travel had been running now ..
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

nx4737

On that note, GRS have been around for a few years now haven't they, I remember the first time I saw them, using those half black half Arriva Lance things!

BU07 LGO

Quote from: Discodave on August 18, 2012, 06:37:31 PM
Quote from: BU07 LGO on August 18, 2012, 12:54:16 AM
Petes did ok on the 451 but let it die with old buses and not responding to NXWM if like the 401 and 2 they stuck at it I think diamond would have inherited a good route the short time i was at petes and used a good bus on it I picked up good loads all day and a bonus (by doing things correctly and by the book it was TWM who were the bad ones cut up by them by agressive behaviour not saying all WB drivers are like that)

I remember the Pete's Travel 451, it used to only go from Sutton to Kingstamnding Circle and my cousin caught it wanting to go to Pheasey and had to walk from Kingstanding!

Discodave

Did do full route when I worked there

Justin Tyme

Quote from: j_rp_wright on August 17, 2012, 02:07:08 PM
Just wondering the average these companies last, there's a lot of small operators but centro never seem to take them that seriously regarding all this bus reviews. Is there much space to find a gap in the market these days are is there only chance to survive is by competing on major corridors and bus routes.

I don't work in the bus industry, but I expect that Centro consult with all operators in each area.  As the small operators mainly compete head-on with NX, it may well be that they wait to see what NX intend to do and then decide what they themselves will do.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk