News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Who is a Driver?

Started by DC3, August 15, 2012, 05:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DC3

Just a curiosity after reading many of the posts regularly, I started to wonder who actually is a driver, or was a driver? (or even aspire to be one!) Even if you're not a driver, what started you're interest with transport? And what's you're story? Kind of like an introduction to everyone if you wish.

I worked for TWM/NXWM for nearly 6 years. Felt it was time for a change, So I moved on. Sometimes I miss the job, other times I'm so glad I made the move away! Still like to see whats going and keep upto date of all the goings on, and rumours that fly around!

Discodave

I have been for the big boys NXWM and Arriva enjoyed both of them but it was the so called expert bosses who know sod all and reckon they are better them you as they have a degree which tuned my view of the industry. The smaller ones were better as the bosses knew how to treat a driver being ones themselves knew the problems encountered diamond and petes were the ones.  When I first became a bus driver all companies were like the smaller ones but as the influx of uni know it alls came in most long serving staff were either sacked for stupid reasons or like myself having to clear my name at court after 10 years as a pcv driver.  I am a Class 1 HGV driver now and enjoy it plus paid a lot more and no weedends or bank holidays or nights out I keep in touch with mates who still do the bus job but I would never go back to it and if I was able to throw in my PCV I would but I would lose my HGV as well so it will only be on my licence for show   

Trident 4609

i was a little child about one or two when i became interested with buses. I'm 13 now and i'm obsessed with buses because i have high functioning autism(A bit like that edward littlehales who had 4817 named after him because it is his favourite bus). I hope to become a bus driver in 8 years when i'm old enough. I once visited the bus garage with my mom in 2005 when i was 6. I've been obsessed with buses always and i travel round on the buses alot. Everyone who knows me and my mom know that i like buses and my old teachers from primary school and nusery still ask if i like buses. i have a box full of toy buses and i have a couple of die-cast models. i also read buses magazine

Nathan4775

I want to be a bus driver when i reach the age of 18 & work from PB garage  8) life long dream
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

vinh1000

Quote from: NathanJC on August 15, 2012, 06:28:18 PM
I want to be a bus driver when i reach the age of 18 & work from PB garage  8) life long dream
Same here :D
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

BU07 LGO

I'v ebeen considering it but always had second thoughts. At the moment it is an hobby that I lover but fear been a part of it may make me think less of it?

I have a full car licence so can apply if i want to

Gareth

Becoming a bus driver was always my life long dream. Just one of those things I never got round to and took another career path instead. Looking at what bus drivers have to put up with now, I wouldnt want that.

Probably an exaggeration, but my Mum says that 'Bus' was my first word after spending most days as a very small child watching the buses on Washwood Heath road go past and waving at the drivers. And of course there were childhood trips up to Ward End park that meant passing the 'Mecca' of my bus world, a bus garage!

These days, in adult life its books, magazines the odd model and bit of photography. The bus driving dream wasnt totally unfulfilled. I got to drive 9062 at Park Lane open day a few years back  :D

Andrew1991

I've wanted to be a bus driver all my life, don't know when I started to be interested in buses but I used to love watching the bus going past my house everyday, until they changed the route and even though I've witnessed the abuse drivers get from scum I still want to do it.

Quote from: A1991 on August 16, 2012, 01:43:58 PM
I've wanted to be a bus driver all my life, don't know when I started to be interested in buses but I used to love watching the bus going past my house everyday, until they changed the route and even though I've witnessed the abuse drivers get from scum I still want to do it.
Attention all you wannabe/wouldbe bus drivers!!! It's really no different to any job, be a bobby, doctor, street cleaner or registered alcoholic you will never know until you are actually doing it yourself! It is only then when you find out weather you like it or not!! Personally ever sine the lottery started I've always wanted to win it and who ever I'm working for at the time go tell them.....I will be leaving soon...I wish you all the best in the future whatever it may or may not hold  :D
Enviro 200 Rebels......Venturing Out Into New Territory's!!

Discodave

Its nice to have a hobby but like some things keep it as a hobby like if you have a favourite car and you drive it and find its rubbish you are dissapointed look at me I said I was a bus driver and it was good but went in with some rose tinted specs my dad had a good service and I did see the problems and did my best but it was never good enough everyone got home in a safe manner but as I said in in an earlier post things never satisfy the boss hope all wannabes the best but go in and remember its not a hobby and its your life

j_rp_wright

I'm a former NXWM driver but now working for A.T. Brown Coaches!

Ashley

When I was a child, my first career ambition was to be a bus driver, being visually impaired meant that could never happen. If i had the sight I probably would, but probably not in the west midlands.

However the current eventual ambition is to start up my own bus company.

It's a hobby I've enjoyed during my childhood, I wouldn't give it up for anything and to be honest, I couldnt imagine myself in anything other than the bus industry

PM

University and then the rotala graduate scheme for me then working my way up possibly starting up a new company or going into politics with a view to being transport secretary and hopefully i think i could be successful in the bus indutry as unlike many of the graduates now going into transport im actually a bus enthusiast that has a great deal of respect for bus drivers-the people who, and managers could do well to remember this, earn them their salaries. It is they who are the eyes and ears that have to repond to a multitude of situations and ideally there should be a good rapport between manager and driver.

D10

Quote from: Peter123 on August 28, 2012, 06:10:37 PM
University and then the rotala graduate scheme for me then working my way up possibly starting up a new company or going into politics with a view to being transport secretary and hopefully i think i could be successful in the bus indutry as unlike many of the graduates now going into transport im actually a bus enthusiast that has a great deal of respect for bus drivers-the people who, and managers could do well to remember this, earn them their salaries. It is they who are the eyes and ears that have to repond to a multitude of situations and ideally there should be a good rapport between manager and driver.

Good luck with what you want to do Peter, but a  Transport Secretary who actually knows something about the bus industry, well that would be a nice surprise!

danny

Well im 21 and only got into buses because as a child i used to think leyland lynxs were happy buses and metrobuses were really angry lol, when i used to wait for the 120 in oldbury and a metobus turned up id grip the seat because after a while for some strange reason they used to make a wierd wooosh noise (if anyone nos what that was please share lol) i did drama at uni but it is my dream to work for johnsons as a rep on their excursions, im a massive fan of their work, i did want to be a bus driver but due to a condition i will not be able to drive lol. But i dont intend on letting that hinder me in getting a job in the transport industry
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk