News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

WCML

Started by winston, August 12, 2012, 10:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Looks as though First Group is set to be awarded the new 12 year franchise for the WMCL, after submitting a superior bid over incumbent Virgin Trains

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d9db0dd4-e473-11e1-affe-00144feab49a.html#axzz23Mvh6sqc

Isle of Stroma

Frying Pan..... Fire....  ::)

winston

Quote from: NEL111P on August 12, 2012, 10:41:00 PM
Frying Pan..... Fire....  ::)

Doesn't look as though the Dft have learnt any lessons from the East Coast fiasco, they are literally awarding the franchise based on the highest premium payments, whether these are realistic again remains to be seen over its term

Isle of Stroma

I'm just wondering how many more seats they'll cram into a pendolino cigar tube....

windy miller

Cigar tube? couldn't have have put it better! although to be fair I recently used a 'new' 11 car pendolino from Euston to New St (20.43) and actually had a decent seat in one of the 'New' carriages-so at least one of the two new additions are standard class thank god! incidentally, if you have a senior railcard a single tkt from euston to new st is (normaly) £4.95 using the 20.43 or 21.05. the 20.43 is first stop coventry.
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

winston

Quote from: NEL111P on August 12, 2012, 10:58:32 PM
I'm just wondering how many more seats they'll cram into a pendolino cigar tube....

The First Group premium bid is reported to be based on cutting costs during the term of the franchise, have the Dft not seen the effect of Firsts cost cutting on its Uk bus division????

Tony

Quote from: Winston on August 13, 2012, 08:42:11 AM

The First Group premium bid is reported to be based on cutting costs during the term of the franchise, have the Dft not seen the effect of Firsts cost cutting on its Uk bus division????

Look on the bright side, at least it is not Arriva (see Cross Country!)
First Great Western still has reasonable fares compared to most franchises, I personally would prefer Virgin out of the final 4 though.

winston

Quote from: Winston on August 13, 2012, 08:42:11 AM

Looks as though it First Group do win the WCML, it is unlikey to be operated under the First name, First have registered Horizon Trains with companies house, it looks as though it is now also likely to be Wednesday before the winner is announced as Virgin Trains are lobbying the government

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/9473715/FirstGroup-could-rename-West-Coast-service-Horizon-Trains.html

winston

Looks as though you are right, First may be planning to do away with the shops / catering to increase seating capcity

http://www.rail.co/2012/08/13/first-group-expected-to-pip-branson-to-west-coast/

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Winston on August 13, 2012, 10:33:30 PM

Looks as though you are right, First may be planning to do away with the shops / catering to increase seating capcity

http://www.rail.co/2012/08/13/first-group-expected-to-pip-branson-to-west-coast/

That's one comfort at least. There'll be one less annoying announcement to endure every few minutes or so as Ada rambles on peddling the unappetising wares!  ;D

There's hope yet. If First could then sack all of Grinning Richards mumbling Train Managers that have a vastly inadequate grasp of the English language, that woud be a huge step in the right direction.

Discodave

Virgin good and know what they are doing First cant even run a bus service they are selling it all good job it is not arriva like cannock they use recycled crap and charge double for the privilage

Ossie

The planned extension of (presumably just some) services from Wolves to Telford and Shrewsbury from 2016 (?) is interesting. I wonder if they will be brand-new Bi-mode units, loco-hauled Pendolino drags like the N Wales line, or even HSTs cascaded from the Great Western route ....... now that would be fun!  8)

Tony

Quote from: Ossie on August 15, 2012, 10:42:12 PM
The planned extension of (presumably just some) services from Wolves to Telford and Shrewsbury from 2016 (?) is interesting. I wonder if they will be brand-new Bi-mode units, loco-hauled Pendolino drags like the N Wales line, or even HSTs cascaded from the Great Western route ....... now that would be fun!  8)

Just the Voyagers displaced off the Birmingham Scotland runs by the new mini pendolinos

winston

With First Groups share price plummeting yesterday on fears that it has overpaid & set itself unrealistic annual growth targets for WCML, analysts are forecasting that First may have to hand back the keys towards the end of the franchise as NX on the ECML. In the short term however, the additional profit, turnover & cash flow generated from the WCML franchise will help ease First Groups debt burden and reduce the risk of having to tap the stock market up for more cash to pay down debt via a rights issue 

Tony

Quote from: Tony on August 16, 2012, 07:02:30 AM
Quote from: Ossie on August 15, 2012, 10:42:12 PM

Just the Voyagers displaced off the Birmingham Scotland runs by the new mini pendolinos

Apparently tilting Voyages can not have the extra pantograph car added so First are trying to find some places off the electric network to use these when they are displaced from Birmingham-Scotland services

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk