News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

If you could bring back any old route what would it be and why?

Started by hlliwmai, October 09, 2023, 12:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Stu on October 10, 2023, 07:32:06 PMI think the numerous people who live in that eastern part of Yardley Wood would beg to differ. :rolleyes:

People can't always get direct links to where they want to go, however the 3 does connect with the 76 and 169 at Trittiford Road, which do provide onward connections to Kings Heath, Shirley and Solihull.

I agree.  Also, the 3 does provide a link - it's to Birmingham city centre!

The route up to the current terminus at the city boundary is good bus territory.  The section beyond was always very quiet, so I can't blame NXWM for cutting it back.

Wumpty

Quote from: Tony on October 09, 2023, 06:48:18 PMNever fully limited stop, It was always all stops between Walsall & Mere Green
I used to catch this to school in Aldridge and circa 1987, I'm sure it was partial limited stop thus:

Wolverhampton Bus Station, Willenhall (The Dale), Walsall (College bus lay-by), Mellish Road Island, Tynings Lane, Aldridge (Elms Hotel), then all stops to Mere Green via Little Aston, then the various other limited stop sections after that.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

B61 ANDREW

The 'Midland Red' 144 to go back to running through to Birmingham - although I doubt it would  happen.  :undecided:  

Steve3229vp

Quote from: B61 ANDREW on October 11, 2023, 01:17:21 PMThe 'Midland Red' 144 to go back to running through to Birmingham - although I doubt it would  happen.  :undecided: 
Not viable anymore

Straightlines

Quote from: B61 ANDREW on October 11, 2023, 01:17:21 PMThe 'Midland Red' 144 to go back to running through to Birmingham - although I doubt it would  happen.  :undecided: 

Quote from: Steve3229vp on October 11, 2023, 01:38:45 PMNot viable anymore
I think the enhanced train service, changes in travel patterns and the previous operators allergy to picking up passengers within the TfWM area has led to the demand and requirements for an end to end service to diminish.

The new 20 service seems a sensible balance between maintaining the link and providing onward connections.

spacecowboy150

hlliwmai

Quote from: spacecowboy150 on October 11, 2023, 04:48:12 PMX50 to Oxford would be mad

oh Diamond was operating the X50 to Chipping Norton via Stratford last summer from Birmingham as I recall that didn't last but there again it was one of the routes Johnson's had 

Sh4318

For me, it would always be the 444, just for ease of use, around the corner from my house, direct to Bearwood or West Bromwich on - usually - nightly loaded ALX200s or B6LEs
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Jack

Quote from: Sh4318 on October 11, 2023, 05:20:37 PMFor me, it would always be the 444, just for ease of use, around the corner from my house, direct to Bearwood or West Bromwich on - usually - nightly loaded ALX200s or B6LEs
I think a quite a lot of people miss the 450 too, 447 as well. 

I miss the 121, was a nice service with an ALX200, pleasant route compared to the 74 and a nice alternative. 

j789

I'd bring back the 10 (City to Quinton) route back full time. I know the route still clings on in the peaks but it's a shadow of its former self.

It was such a useful route and so much quicker to town than going on the 103 via Harborne High Street when it ran at a 20-30 min frequency. 

I'd also bring back the old Midland Red motorway express routes to Birmingham from places like Worcester, Shrewsbury, Nottingham, etc. It's a shame the driver regulations killed those routes off as they would need tachos these days.

Trident 4194

The 19 hasbury to Birmingham express. Or the 192 into Birmingham

Mike K

Quote from: j789 on October 11, 2023, 06:16:59 PMI'd bring back the 10 (City to Quinton) route back full time. I know the route still clings on in the peaks but it's a shadow of its former self.

It was such a useful route and so much quicker to town than going on the 103 via Harborne High Street when it ran at a 20-30 min frequency.

I'd also bring back the old Midland Red motorway express routes to Birmingham from places like Worcester, Shrewsbury, Nottingham, etc. It's a shame the driver regulations killed those routes off as they would need tachos these days.
I also have fond memories of the 10, although I didn't use it that much myself. Unfortunately patronage at the Quinton Road West / West Boulevard end helped subsidise the lighter usage through the affluent areas of Harborne and Edgbaston, and when the 103 was extended to cover this end of the route, the 10 became less necessary and ultimately unviable as an all day service.

Stu

I've thought long and hard about this, and to be honest I can't think of any old route that I'd like to see brought back that would actually be any use to me.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Rachvince53

Quote from: Wumpty on October 11, 2023, 07:43:28 AMI used to catch this to school in Aldridge and circa 1987, I'm sure it was partial limited stop thus:

Wolverhampton Bus Station, Willenhall (The Dale), Walsall (College bus lay-by), Mellish Road Island, Tynings Lane, Aldridge (Elms Hotel), then all stops to Mere Green via Little Aston, then the various other limited stop sections after that.
That's how it was originally.  It replaced the 366 between Mere Green and Aldridge (which had also served Walsall as the 6 does now) hence that was all stops. However the rest was mostly covered by other services at the time so ran limited stop over most of those sections. After Mere Green, it stopped at Four Oaks Station and Tamworth Road (for Sutton Park) and the High Street I think before serving Sutton itself.  I know it served Erdington but I'm trying to think where it went from there. 

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Rachvince53 on October 11, 2023, 08:13:57 PMThat's how it was originally.  It replaced the 366 between Mere Green and Aldridge (which had also served Walsall as the 6 does now) hence that was all stops. However the rest was mostly covered by other services at the time so ran limited stop over most of those sections. After Mere Green, it stopped at Four Oaks Station and Tamworth Road (for Sutton Park) and the High Street I think before serving Sutton itself.  I know it served Erdington but I'm trying to think where it went from there.
From Erdington it went 'Limited Stop' via Wood End Road, Kingsbury Road, Chester Road, Collector Road, Chelmsley Wood and then to Airport

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk