News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

If you could bring back any old route what would it be and why?

Started by hlliwmai, October 09, 2023, 12:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Quote from: Ronnoc on October 10, 2023, 07:40:51 AMThe 3/3A serving Acocks Green was very weird, but I'd love to see it back (viable or not lol).
Forgot about that one, but I agree the 3 should be extended back to either AG or at least Shirley Town Centre, since it's been shortened it does feel more of a pointless route.

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Jack on October 10, 2023, 09:28:36 AMForgot about that one, but I agree the 3 should be extended back to either AG or at least Shirley Town Centre, since it's been shortened it does feel more of a pointless route.
How can it be a pointless route ?
It was running the same route when it was a 12 in 1990 and a similar route to the original 13.

Jack

Quote from: Steve3229vp on October 10, 2023, 11:01:59 AMHow can it be a pointless route ?
It was running the same route when it was a 12 in 1990 and a similar route to the original 13.

It basically goes nowhere, there's no link... least when it went to Shirley, Solihull and even Acocks Green it was giving that part of Yardley Wood a link to a shopping area that isn't Birmingham. I think most users around that side would actually like a direct link to somewhere instead of the middle of a dual carriageway.

Tony

Quote from: Jack on October 10, 2023, 12:40:44 PMIt basically goes nowhere, there's no link... least when it went to Shirley, Solihull and even Acocks Green it was giving that part of Yardley Wood a link to a shopping area that isn't Birmingham. I think most users around that side would actually like a direct link to somewhere instead of the middle of a dual carriageway.
So Yardley Wood is 'nowhere', does that apply to all Birmingham Suburbs?

Jack

Quote from: Tony on October 10, 2023, 12:43:40 PMSo Yardley Wood is 'nowhere', does that apply to all Birmingham Suburbs?
Stops in a random part of a road which the services only links to Birmingham and the Outer Circle. Half arsed since they cut it back, funnily enough there always people on it when it went to Solihull and to Acocks Green. Bit like the WB 46 'let's just give up after how many years carrying a decent patronage'.

Ronnoc

I do think that it should be at least bought back to the Shirley station area, of course with improvements to Shirley station if needed.

Jack

Quote from: Ronnoc on October 10, 2023, 12:49:41 PMI do think that it should be at least bought back to the Shirley station area, of course with improvements to Shirley station if needed.
I've always thought it should at least go to Shirley town centre, well as far as the Sainsburys and turn back round. Gives that part of YW a bus to Shiriey again.

Tony

Quote from: Jack on October 10, 2023, 12:48:17 PMStops in a random part of a road which the services only links to Birmingham and the Outer Circle. Half arsed since they cut it back, funnily enough there always people on it when it went to Solihull and to Acocks Green. Bit like the WB 46 'let's just give up after how many years carrying a decent patronage'.
That was always the traditional terminus dating back many years to Birmingham corporation and no real difference to the Perry Beeches terminus of the 52. It was the extension that was pointless, hence it being put back to the traditional terminus

Ronnoc

Just in the past 15 years the terminus has been changed a lot. I think Shirley town centre is too busy to accomodate a terminus, I believe it was a bit problematic back when the 3 used to terminate at Shirley Green.

Mike K

I find it strange that the 3 is described as a 'pointless' route. It's existed more or less in its current form for c70 years. It's no different in that respect to many routes from Birmingham city centre that cross the outer circle and finish in residential areas towards the outskirts of the city.

Tony

Quote from: Mike K on October 10, 2023, 03:35:14 PMI find it strange that the 3 is described as a 'pointless' route. It's existed more or less in its current form for c70 years. It's no different in that respect to many routes from Birmingham city centre that cross the outer circle and finish in residential areas towards the outskirts of the city.
Like the route that has changed the least since BCT days, only changes being due to city centre road closures which is the 60, is that pointless?

spacecowboy150

962 would be a cool route the one that went Chelmsley Wood

Rachvince53

Quote from: Tony on October 09, 2023, 06:48:18 PMNever fully limited stop, It was always all stops between Walsall & Mere Green
No it was originally non-stop between Walsall and Aldridge (it stopped outside the Arboretum but otherwise was non-stop after the Ring Road). It became all stops to Aldridge only after the revision of local buses to Aldridge.  I should know, I used it almost every Saturday. 

Tony

Quote from: Rachvince53 on October 10, 2023, 05:41:09 PMNo it was originally non-stop between Walsall and Aldridge (it stopped outside the Arboretum but otherwise was non-stop after the Ring Road). It became all stops to Aldridge only after the revision of local buses to Aldridge.  I should know, I used it almost every Saturday.
Still never fully limited stop

Stu

Quote from: Jack on October 10, 2023, 12:40:44 PMIt basically goes nowhere, there's no link... least when it went to Shirley, Solihull and even Acocks Green it was giving that part of Yardley Wood a link to a shopping area that isn't Birmingham. I think most users around that side would actually like a direct link to somewhere instead of the middle of a dual carriageway.
I think the numerous people who live in that eastern part of Yardley Wood would beg to differ. :rolleyes:

People can't always get direct links to where they want to go, however the 3 does connect with the 76 and 169 at Trittiford Road, which do provide onward connections to Kings Heath, Shirley and Solihull.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk