News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Strike Action

Started by monkeyjoe, December 14, 2022, 01:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Secondary trigger 28

Quote from: karl724223 on March 06, 2023, 05:32:29 PMTeachers on strike that day so kids can watch veg web all day reporting what buses they claim to have seen
But the strikes are continuous so won't be just that day 

karl724223

Just on itv news worse case scenario no buses for 12 weeks 

j789

Quote from: ellspurs on March 06, 2023, 01:11:01 PMIf NX cancel low-revenue services but put buses out on the 50 when Diamond are running the route then it shows where the true priorities lie. If anything, the TfWM routes should be the ones that have priority coverage as they are the routes they're being partially subsidised.
In your perfect world maybe but certainly not in the world of business. It makes perfect business sense to put your limited (very limited in this scenario) resources on your most profitable routes, other routes including tendered will miss out.
There may be some penalty for not fulfilling tendered services but it would still be far less than the loss of income from that bus not being on the profitable route.

Look at Stagecoach, you honestly think they prioritise their West Mids tenders over their profitable routes in Warwickshire? Driver shortage = tendered routes suffering first pretty much every time (unless the tender itself is particularly lucrative of course!).

NX is a business, they won't purposefully help a rival company by staying off a route they compete on, in the same way Diamond would prioritise the 50 over less profitable stuff if their drivers ever unionised and went on strike.

j789

Quote from: karl724223 on March 06, 2023, 06:07:45 PMJust on itv news worse case scenario no buses for 12 weeks
Happened in Sheffield with First about 15 years ago when I worked there. Was the beginning of a slippery slope that allowed Stagecoach in after taking over Yorkshire Traction.

Hopefully NX have more sense than First did then and meet the drivers half way. 

Tony

Quote from: karl724223 on March 06, 2023, 06:07:45 PMJust on itv news worse case scenario no buses for 12 weeks
12 weeks is when Unite run out of strike pay!

Coventrybususer95

Quote from: j789 on March 06, 2023, 06:16:02 PMHappened in Sheffield with First about 15 years ago when I worked there. Was the beginning of a slippery slope that allowed Stagecoach in after taking over Yorkshire Traction.

Hopefully NX have more sense than First did then and meet the drivers half way.
Just read this on the website:
Why can't you just pay what your employees are asking for and avoid strike action?
We have made an offer, which we believe is fair and responsible. We are continuing to talk to the union and assure you that we are doing everything we can to resolve this matter.
Seems like national express are sticking with there offer
All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

winston

That's good news for Diamond & other WM independents. 

Bad news for NX drivers on strike pay. 

MW

The reason why operators prioritise tenders over commercial (under normal circumstances) is because on the commercial side, it's just one bus missing. The passengers will get the next bus, particularly on routes like the 50 where the reality is, nobody would notice if one or two buses are missing. By doing this, the company does not incur any penalty with TfWM, as the tendered route is covered. Diamond employ the same tactic with the 57/58 in Redditch, where if a bus is needed elsewhere to cover a tendered service, they'll pinch the bus and/or driver and redeploy.

The scenario we have now is different. There will only be a minuscule amount of staff available to drive, therefore a minuscule amount of vehicles on the road. Common sense would be that these will be strategically utilised on where they'll return the maximum amount of revenue/passengers. Tendered services come nowhere near the amount of revenue/passengers as most Birmingham trunk routes generate.

I don't expect any tendered services to be operated, should the strike go ahead. 

Will we see NXWM approach other smaller operators to cover some of their mileage, or will any other operators step in themselves to contribute to mileage lost..? It happened in Manchester a few years ago with the Go North West strikes. 

Stu

Quote from: MW on March 06, 2023, 07:02:17 PMWill we see NXWM approach other smaller operators to cover some of their mileage, or will any other operators step in themselves to contribute to mileage lost..? It happened in Manchester a few years ago with the Go North West strikes. 
It's an interesting thought that I had myself, however with the few operators we have now, I doubt many have enough spare buses or drivers in order to fill in on some services, plus there's the issue of registering those services and journeys in time.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MW

Quote from: Stu on March 06, 2023, 07:08:58 PMIt's an interesting thought that I had myself, however with the few operators we have now, I doubt many have enough spare buses or drivers in order to fill in on some services, plus there's the issue of registering those services and journeys in time.

Timing isn't an issue due to the circumstances. 

There's loads of operators in the Midlands, just not bus operators. Don't forget, coaches were being used too.

https://flic.kr/p/2kJaWeU

j789

Quote from: MW on March 06, 2023, 07:18:20 PMTiming isn't an issue due to the circumstances.

There's loads of operators in the Midlands, just not bus operators. Don't forget, coaches were being used too.

One of the main issues is availability of Euro 6 vehicles, it would be horrendous press for TfWM to relax the rulings to allow more polluting buses into clean air zones, no matter what situation presents itself. Also, coaches are no good on stop start urban work, even the 'accessible' vehicles of modern times wouldn't deal with your average bus passenger with pushchairs, wheelchairs, shopping etc. 

Also, there is a reason coach drivers choose that work, absolutely no chance would they be willing to work multiple weeks driving through the sh*tholes  of Brum instead of cushy school workings or OAP tours. No chance!

winston

Quote from: MW on March 06, 2023, 07:18:20 PMTiming isn't an issue due to the circumstances.

The other thing to consider when comparing GNW vs NXWM strike cover is scale i.e. GNW 200 buses vs NXWM 1400 buses

the trainbasher

Couldn't NETS cover some of the work, like they did during COVID? Use coaches on the schools, registered as routes ran by Woods or TKF?

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Rachvince53

Quote from: the trainbasher on March 06, 2023, 09:22:51 PMCouldn't NETS cover some of the work, like they did during COVID? Use coaches on the schools, registered as routes ran by Woods or TKF?
Not sure if that would be possible in the short time frame. Would it be legal?

winston

Quote from: the trainbasher on March 06, 2023, 09:22:51 PMCouldn't NETS cover some of the work, like they did during COVID? Use coaches on the schools, registered as routes ran by Woods or TKF?
NETS had plenty of spare coaches & drivers during Covid, they're not likely to be in the same position this time around.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk