News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Bus Services axed/changed from 1st January 2023

Started by 2206, October 11, 2022, 07:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sh4318

Quote from: winston on November 28, 2022, 04:04:45 PMThe Mon-Sat Evenings & Sundays on the 3 are tendered, a tender was issued for this to continue

The 46 Mon-Sun evenings is also tendered, a tender was issued for this to continue

There is no point everybody trying to second guess what the changes are post 3/1/23, tenders are still being awarded.
Fair enough. I completely forgot about tenders  :angel:

Still, it's interesting to see which journeys of a route are tendered and which are commercial
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

BBS

QuoteThe Mon-Sat Evenings & Sundays on the 3 are tendered, a tender was issued for this to continue

The 46 Mon-Sun evenings is also tendered, a tender was issued for this to continue

There is no point everybody trying to second guess what the changes are post 3/1/23, tenders are still being awarded.
I believe someone said before that the 41 was retained by NX
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

metrocity

Quote from: BBS on November 29, 2022, 07:31:39 PMI believe someone said before that the 41 was retained by NX
I'd be surprised if NX are awarded any tenders based on their current performance issues 

winston

Quote from: metrocity on November 29, 2022, 08:32:17 PMI'd be surprised if NX are awarded any tenders based on their current performance issues
It's about time NXWM were hauled over the coals by the Traffic Commissioner for the amount of missing buses / unreliability... 

Gareth

Quote from: winston on November 29, 2022, 09:03:15 PMIt's about time NXWM were hauled over the coals by the Traffic Commissioner for the amount of missing buses / unreliability...
whilst I agree that the current service is horrendous and the worst I've ever known, what's the traffic commissioner going to do? Tell NX to magic some drivers out of thin air? Tell them to fix roadworks themselves? Is he going to ban all other traffic apart from buses so they can run to time?
I'ts not like they're running an awful service on purpose.

metrocity

Quote from: Gareth on November 29, 2022, 09:10:39 PMwhilst I agree that the current service is horrendous and the worst I've ever known, what's the traffic commissioner going to do? Tell NX to magic some drivers out of thin air? Tell them to fix roadworks themselves? Is he going to ban all other traffic apart from buses so they can run to time?
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/bus-operator-ordered-to-provide-free-services

winston

Quote from: Gareth on November 29, 2022, 09:10:39 PMwhilst I agree that the current service is horrendous and the worst I've ever known, what's the traffic commissioner going to do? Tell NX to magic some drivers out of thin air? Tell them to fix roadworks themselves? Is he going to ban all other traffic apart from buses so they can run to time?
Fine them for poor service or cut the licence...  If they don't have the drivers to provide the advertised services maybe they should give them up to those that do. Some operators seem to be struggling more than others.
Something needs to change, NX get away with more than most.... 

Often buses run on time and some people still moan.
Looking at todays tracking 4468 for instance ran exactly on time all day from 07:41 to 20:20. Also completing every trip on the running board.
https://bustimes.org/vehicles/tnxb-4468?date=2022-11-29#

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Gareth

Gareth

Quote from: 2206 on November 29, 2022, 09:36:40 PMOften buses run on time and some people still moan.
Looking at todays tracking 4468 for instance ran exactly on time all day from 07:41 to 20:20. Also completing every trip on the running board.
https://bustimes.org/vehicles/tnxb-4468?date=2022-11-29#

No one is going to notice a bus running on time if the ones before and after it are delayed and bunched together.

winston

Quote from: Gareth on November 29, 2022, 09:48:33 PMOh free bus rides, what a jolly good idea on an already overcrowded and late service!
Free is better than paying for a crap service.

Driver shortages & traffic excuses can only cover the shortfall for so long...

j789

The problem is QUALITY bus drivers can't just be magically created out of thin air. It takes years of experience to do the job really well, new recruits having two weeks training will not be at the same standard.

No local operator would currently attract any additional such drivers - the one main attraction for non- NXWM drivers in their companies is not having to work overly unsocial hours.

You put those operators on new routes operating 18 hours a day suddenly all those drivers would say no thanks and head off for an easier life on coaches or something. Then you're back to square one with driver shortages. Anyone thinking 'oh that operator has great drivers and no shortages operating a tendered 3 vehicle requirement route' is in for a massive shock if you honestly believe they could suddenly step up to operate a high frequency trunk route.  It is completely different operating territory and drivers wanting certain driving conditions wouldn't stick around with those changes. 

There is no easy fix on this and no operator has any clear solution either. Whoever operates on the route will have the same issue. I think a 10-15% pay rise is required across the board to at least keep the current drivers happy, yes it will cut into profits but at least it will stabilise things whilst new drivers can get trained up. Really £15 should be the minimum for driving a bus in a large city. The government should be willing to part subsidise this rise too to help out and actually show they are genuine about supporting the long term prospects of bus travel.

monkeyjoe

To be fair to NXBus they have admitted their faults and publish plans on social media to resolve and people still moan. Lets see if they will improve.

metrocity

Quote from: Gareth on November 29, 2022, 09:48:33 PMOh free bus rides, what a jolly good idea on an already overcrowded and late service!
I think you are misunderstood!

winston

Quote from: j789 on November 29, 2022, 10:45:24 PMThe problem is QUALITY bus drivers can't just be magically created out of thin air. It takes years of experience to do the job really well, new recruits having two weeks training will not be at the same standard.
No local operator would currently attract any additional such drivers - the one main attraction for non- NXWM drivers in their companies is not having to work overly unsocial hours.
You put those operators on new routes operating 18 hours a day suddenly all those drivers would say no thanks and head off for an easier life on coaches or something. Then you're back to square one with driver shortages. Anyone thinking 'oh that operator has great drivers and no shortages operating a tendered 3 vehicle requirement route' is in for a massive shock if you honestly believe they could suddenly step up to operate a high frequency trunk route.  It is completely different operating territory and drivers wanting certain driving conditions wouldn't stick around with those changes.
There is no easy fix on this and no operator has any clear solution either. Whoever operates on the route will have the same issue. I think a 10-15% pay rise is required across the board to at least keep the current drivers happy, yes it will cut into profits but at least it will stabilise things whilst new drivers can get trained up. Really £15 should be the minimum for driving a bus in a large city. The government should be willing to part subsidise this rise too to help out and actually show they are genuine about supporting the long term prospects of bus travel.
Even with NX's revised starting pay of £11.80/hr, it's barely above what Aldi pay for a Store Assistant, so it's not likely to entice anyone new to the industry to join their driving team & fill the hundreds of vacancies they currently have, plus it will then take 3 years of service to get up to the top rate of £14.40/hr.

I agree they need to offer a higher rate of pay for new starters & existing drivers, without bus drivers they will have no business, NX are currently losing passengers for ever due to their services being unreliable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk