News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Christmas and New Year 1988

Started by SO6597, December 29, 2021, 03:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SO6597

I have a vague memory of the period between Christmas and New Year 1988, where WMT didn't run services on Boxing Day (and possibly another day?) with lots of other operators doing these instead.

I used to catch Bristol Rd services to a part time job back then and seem to remember getting a Ludlows operated 63 to work. Does anybody remember anything about this or is it a figment of my imagination?!

Gareth

WM didn't operate on Boxing Day for many years.

Westy

Famously the late Ed Doolan on Wm campaigned for Boxing Day reintroduction for a few years on his show!

PB2938

WMT never operated on boxing day until 2000 service was very limited only main line routes running between 10 - 6pm
952A Rugeley
Via Great Barr,  Walsall, Cheslyn Hay, Cannock, Heath Hayes and Hednesford

Justin Tyme

Quote from: SO6597 on December 29, 2021, 03:38:09 PM
I have a vague memory of the period between Christmas and New Year 1988, where WMT didn't run services on Boxing Day (and possibly another day?) with lots of other operators doing these instead.

I used to catch Bristol Rd services to a part time job back then and seem to remember getting a Ludlows operated 63 to work. Does anybody remember anything about this or is it a figment of my imagination?!

I recall that this was because of a strike at WMT, so I have dug out my old Omnibus Society Midland Branch Bulletins to check exactly what happened.  Here is a summary of what it reported at the time.

The strike was from midnight on Christmas Eve to midnight on New Year's Eve 1988 by drivers at Acocks Green (except the minibus unit), Birmingham Central, Lea Hall, Washwood Heath and Yardley Wood.  It was over the level of service to be provided during that period.

The following operators provided replacement services: -

Smiths (Your Bus): strengthened services on its 37Y, 47Y, 50Y and 53Y.
Caves: Solihull - Maypole section of 49.
Ludlows: City - Leach Green Lane section of 63 (so your memory is correct!).
De Courcey: City - Sheldon section of 58.
Burman Travel: additional journeys on 73 Solihull - Chelmsley Wood, extended to Castle Vale.
Birmingham Coach Co: strengthened service on 6 City - Solihull.

I remember riding on the De Courcey 58 at that time.  The vehicle was an ex-London DMS Fleetline with a conductor.  In the city centre, I saw that Your Bus were having a field day using seemingly every bus it could get to run - and they were well used.

SO6597

Quote from: Justin Tyme on January 02, 2022, 10:17:24 PM
I recall that this was because of a strike at WMT, so I have dug out my old Omnibus Society Midland Branch Bulletins to check exactly what happened.  Here is a summary of what it reported at the time.

The strike was from midnight on Christmas Eve to midnight on New Year's Eve 1988 by drivers at Acocks Green (except the minibus unit), Birmingham Central, Lea Hall, Washwood Heath and Yardley Wood.  It was over the level of service to be provided during that period.

The following operators provided replacement services: -

Smiths (Your Bus): strengthened services on its 37Y, 47Y, 50Y and 53Y.
Caves: Solihull - Maypole section of 49.
Ludlows: City - Leach Green Lane section of 63 (so your memory is correct!).
De Courcey: City - Sheldon section of 58.
Burman Travel: additional journeys on 73 Solihull - Chelmsley Wood, extended to Castle Vale.
Birmingham Coach Co: strengthened service on 6 City - Solihull.

I remember riding on the De Courcey 58 at that time.  The vehicle was an ex-London DMS Fleetline with a conductor.  In the city centre, I saw that Your Bus were having a field day using seemingly every bus it could get to run - and they were well used.

That's filled in the gaps - cheers and pleased that my memory is still holding up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk