News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Old route 48 to Druids Heath

Started by j789, October 25, 2021, 10:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j789

What route from the city centre did the old 48 to Druids Heath take? Was it the same as the current 50 or a variation of it?

Was there also a similar 49 too as I think the current 49 was previously the 4 route?

Mike K

Quote from: j789 on October 25, 2021, 10:34:24 AM
What route from the city centre did the old 48 to Druids Heath take? Was it the same as the current 50 or a variation of it?

Was there also a similar 49 too as I think the current 49 was previously the 4 route?

Around 1980, when I was at school in Kings Heath, the 48 route was what is the current 35 route between Moseley and the City Centre, i.e. Salisbury Rd, Willows Rd, Hallam St etc. At the time the 35 followed the same route as the 50 as far as Highgate, then went via Leopold Street towards city. Not sure of the dates, but it was around this time that the 48 was withdrawn, the 50 extended from Maypole to Druids Heath, and the 35 amended to serve the Balsall Heath section of the 48. This is from memory - I'm sure someone will be along with the full facts and dates.

Mike K

In fact, this article (under the section "Platinum on the 50") has the full history of these routes - interesting reading.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/buscapade.wordpress.com/2019/01/20/something-old-something-new-15-1-19/amp/

j789

Quote from: Mike K on October 25, 2021, 10:57:59 AM
Around 1980, when I was at school in Kings Heath, the 48 route was what is the current 35 route between Moseley and the City Centre, i.e. Salisbury Rd, Willows Rd, Hallam St etc. At the time the 35 followed the same route as the 50 as far as Highgate, then went via Leopold Street towards city. Not sure of the dates, but it was around this time that the 48 was withdrawn, the 50 extended from Maypole to Druids Heath, and the 35 amended to serve the Balsall Heath section of the 48. This is from memory - I'm sure someone will be along with the full facts and dates.

Many thanks for that. The attached link was interesting reading too.

I only asked after seeing a picture on FB of a Fleetline running the 48 route to Druids Heath. I'd recommend joining the 'old pics of Brum' FB group as they have regular photos of Brum's buses on there (plus lots of interesting historical photos for added interest), many I've never seen before.

busfan2847

The tram service on Alcester Rd only ran as far as Alcester Lanes End. On 19/3/1928 Birmingham Corporation started route 17 from Maypole to Erdington (Chester Rd) via Bradford St and the City Centre. From 17/8/1936 the 17 towards Maypole was renumbered 35 and additional buses in both directions between City and Maypole was numbered 35. From 11/9/1939 through service to Erdngton was withdrawn and all services from City to Maypole numbered 35

On 2/10/1949 the Alcester Rd Trams and the 35 bus were replaced by bus services 48, 49 and 50. 48 and 50 ran to Maypole via Lincoln St and Bradford St respectively while the 49 ran to Kings Heath via Leopold St. (Over the years the main 49 service was cut back, and frequency reduced, to Moseley Village operating to Kings Heath rush hours only).

On 31/10/1965 new one man single deck service 35 started from Kings Heath to Brandwood Road. On 10/7/1966 the 48 was extended from Maypole to Druids Heath.

WMPTE revised the 35 and 49 in May 1975. The 49 was withdrawn and the 35 extended from Kings Heath to City via the 49 route down Leopold St and at the other end extended from Brandwood Park to Pool Farm (the route went down two of the steepest roads in Birmingham traveled by buses Leopold St and Hillmeads Road!)

On 24/10/1981 the 35, 48 and 50 were revised again. The 48 was withdrawn and its route between Moseley and the City, via Lincoln St, replaced by the 35, which abandoned the Leopold St routing. The 50 was extended from the Maypole to Druids Heath.

For the history of the current 49 service (which is essentially replacement of the Midland Red Maypole to Solihull services 170 & 172) see https://uktransport.fandom.com/wiki/National_Express_West_Midlands_route_49

Mike K

Quote from: j789 on October 25, 2021, 01:34:44 PM
Many thanks for that. The attached link was interesting reading too.

I only asked after seeing a picture on FB of a Fleetline running the 48 route to Druids Heath. I'd recommend joining the 'old pics of Brum' FB group as they have regular photos of Brum's buses on there (plus lots of interesting historical photos for added interest), many I've never seen before.

I love seeing pictures from the WMPTE era and earlier, but I'm not on Facebook and generally avoid social media. There are some excellent Flickr sites out there, including Lady Wulfrun's (Claire Pendrous) and Walsall 1955's (was a member of this forum but sadly passed away a couple of years ago as I understand). If anybody has any links to other similar sites, I'd be keen to know.

Thanks as always to busfan2847 for the comprehensive route history 👍🏻.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk