News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Driver/Staff Shortage & Retention

Started by Wumpty, July 26, 2021, 11:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wumpty

With the lifting of Covid restrictions on 19th July, many employers are facing staff staff shortages and retention, with people leaving for "better" jobs elsewhere.

Following a meeting I've had with a large bus operator today, they are suffering hugely with swathes of drivers self isolating following pings from the Test & Trace app, or leaving to drive HGVs or for other PCV based companies with higher rates of pay, though not necessarily better conditions.

A couple of questions I'd love your replies to (and please adhere to forum rules):

Have you seen an increase in self isolation where you work (bus/coach companies especially)?

Would you leave your current job just for better money?

Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Tony

Quote from: Wumpty on July 26, 2021, 11:48:42 AM

Would you leave your current job just for better money?

No, there's a lot more to it than that. Because I am an ex WMPTE employee NX put around £900 pcm into my pension pot, no new employer would do that

Wumpty

Quote from: Tony on July 26, 2021, 12:02:29 PM
No, there's a lot more to it than that. Because I am an ex WMPTE employee NX put around £900 pcm into my pension pot, no new employer would do that

This is part of what I'm looking at through retention analysis. If you're nearer the start of your working life, then your outlook and opinion may be different (which is what I'm finding - living for today rather than saving for tomorrow).

I'm two thirds through and think like you do - I'm planning financially for the future and look at the greater benefits by staying - we receive great private health benefits and whilst salary is ballpark, the implications of leaving and potentially sacrificing this for better pay don't add up.

Westy

The company I work for has been advertising for Hgv drivers across our sites.

(Those of you who have worked out who I work for, may have seen the posts on social media!)

Wumpty

Quote from: Westy on July 26, 2021, 12:42:43 PM
The company I work for has been advertising for Hgv drivers across our sites.

(Those of you who have worked out who I work for, may have seen the posts on social media!)

Genuine question: Why do you think there's a huge demand for HGV drivers, and how do you tempt them away from their current employer?

cardew

Quote from: Wumpty on July 26, 2021, 01:41:38 PM
Genuine question: Why do you think there's a huge demand for HGV drivers

IR35, Covid, Brexit etc.

This article pre-dates all the latest "pingdemic" talk.

https://www.contractoruk.com/news/0015112ir35_reform_fuelling_100000_hgv_driver_shortage.html

Straightlines

Quote from: Tony on July 26, 2021, 12:02:29 PM

I think you should consider yourself an exception rather than the rule.

Most operators, including National Express West Midlands are finding ongoing staff shortages and retaining drivers a nightmare!

You only have to see how many operators are advertising including some with cash joining incentives and the agencies advertising for driver vacancies currently at National Express garages...

Steveminor

We are fine for staff at the moment and some of those who have left for greener pastures have returned or are wanting to return.

My advice during this pandemic is to stay put with your current employer as you have no idea of long term prospects with an unknown employer, how financially stable are they what are their working conditions during this crisis and what are the long term employment opportunities for the end of the pandemic.
Look at all those that decided to go to uber eats as it was an easy buck during lockdown well mobile ordering has dropped down now. Same with delivery drivers there will be less work if people return to high street shopping.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk