News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Service Changes August 29th 2021.

Started by 2206, July 15, 2021, 04:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBS

Quote from: 2206 on July 17, 2021, 11:04:31 PM
I'm not sure what your point is none of the routes you mention even exist anymore, the 90, 72?
But it makes sense for it to be 94/95, which both run to Ward End/Washwood Heath which is a busy section and half the route. I'm not saying the 55 isn't busy beyond there though. The 55 has a joint frequency with the 94 as well on that section.
The 14 doesn't need to be renumbered when that goes to Alum Rock/Glebe Farm/Kitts Green does it and the 58 goes to Yardley and Solihull not Ward End and City so again has nothing to do with it.

Neither is there need for Claribels to come back on the 55. When there are double deckers running on this service.

Its what they've done in other areas 23/24 to Harborne, X20/X21/X22 to QE/Uni, X3/X4/X5 to Sutton and makes sense I think.
I think AG still has a 72 might be on about that one
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

ellspurs

The 72 is the main route between Solihull and Chelmsley Wood, running at "frequent intervals". Lots of love for North Solihull services over here.

It's actually faster than the X12 as well. 36 minutes in afternoon peak (X12 is 46 minutes for the same 5pm ish departure from Chelmsley to Solihull).

I did have a whole thing typed up ages ago where I showed that all the Chelmsley Wood services could be fitted into the "90-99" series of numbers if we wanted things to be all nice and tidy. I went through my posts but couldn't find it so it must've been one of those ones where I typed it up and then deleted it.

Gareth

Quote from: Jack on July 17, 2021, 09:16:37 PM
the 55 has been around for years, pretty sure it was to fit in with Kingshurst/Shard End (not Washwood Heath/Ward End) services...

It was number 55 because it was just the next available number to use. 8 and 10 trams withdrawn 1950 and became 55 and 56. Trolleybus replacements in 1951 became 57/8/9/60. Bristol Road Tram replacement in 1952 became 61/2/3. Then Erdington/Tyburn tram replacements in 1953 became 64/5/6/7

don

Quote from: Gareth on July 18, 2021, 10:36:31 AM
It was number 55 because it was just the next available number to use. 8 and 10 trams withdrawn 1950 and became 55 and 56. Trolleybus replacements in 1951 became 57/8/9/60. Bristol Road Tram replacement in 1952 became 61/2/3. Then Erdington/Tyburn tram replacements in 1953 became 64/5/6/7

Importantly, the 55 and 56 were BCT routes (Washwood Heath depot), along with 53 and 54 along the Meadway corridor (those were Coventry Road depot routes). However BCT never ran across the boundary to Chelmsley Wood (despite Midland Red apparently offering a joint operation - perhaps like Dudley Road. The Chelmsley services were run by Midland Red (variously 193,4,7 along with 160/1 (Kingshurst circular) and 168 (Bacons End)). They ran along the old A47 (Washwood Heath Road) or Meadway/part of Coventry Road corridors. WMPTE took over the MR services in Dec 73 and within a couple of years harmonised the service provision on those corridors (one of the biggest such operations)  - subsequent routes being 93/94 (notice the similarity) and 97. BCT's 14 and 55 were retained but extended and remain to this day as the Alum Rock/Glebe Farm and Shard End estate corridors.

There's something to be said for retaining historic route numbers, as long as they don't depart too far from traditional haunts - I couldn't imagine the 14 and 55 as anything else!!

Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

Quote from: don on July 18, 2021, 11:29:06 AM
There's something to be said for retaining historic route numbers, as long as they don't depart too far from traditional haunts - I couldn't imagine the 14 and 55 as anything else!!
55 used to run along Alum Rock Road like 14, now runs with the 94 on a joint frequency in Ward End/Washwood Heath instead. Claribels changed the route later than NXWM.

One thing that was a bit unique, one of the Fox & Goose trident routes used turn right  off Nechells Parkway and go through Great Lister Street over 10 years back instead of going straight on with the 94. Might have been 56? Don't see double deckers going that way anymore.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

ellspurs

Quote from: 2206 on July 18, 2021, 11:33:26 AM
55 used to run along Alum Rock Road like 14, now stregthens the 94 frequency in Ward End/Washwood Heath instead. Claribels changed the route later than NXWM.

One thing that was a bit unique, one of the Fox & Goose trident routes used turn right  off Nechells Parkway and go through Great Lister Street over 10 years back instead of going straight on with the 94. Might have been 56? Don't see double deckers going that way anymore.

All the 14/90/92/93/94/95 and other services used to go up Great Lister Street and through Aston University. I don't remember any service actually going up Jennens Road to Birmingham during that time. I remember the 55 going through Duddeston, unsure whether the 26 followed that route as well.

The road they used through Aston University got pedestrianised so they ended up going direct. I remember the 14 being the last one to go up there (and through the way the 66 does now), until it got changed over to doing what the 26 used to do past Millennium Point.

Quote from: ellspurs on July 18, 2021, 12:08:10 PM
I remember the 14 being the last one to go up there (and through the way the 66 does now)
& 56 I think. While the 94, etc used Jennens Road.
Strange route that, it ran evenings and sundays only. And originally early mornings I think. So only quietest times of the week, not surprising its not about anymore. It might be the way centro specified for it to go, or something.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

ellspurs

Quote from: 2206 on July 18, 2021, 12:12:41 PM
& 56 I think.
Strange route that, it ran evenings and sundays only. And originally early mornings I think. So only quietest times of the week, not surprising its not about anymore. It might be the way centro specified for it to go, or something.

Well the 66 provides the need for that area to the city centre. Back in the 90s, I'm sure Jennens Road was just a slip road connecting the ring road through to the concrete roundabout that used to be there. Made more sense to go through the university.

Jack

Quote from: ellspurs on July 18, 2021, 12:20:35 PM
Well the 66 provides the need for that area to the city centre. Back in the 90s, I'm sure Jennens Road was just a slip road connecting the ring road through to the concrete roundabout that used to be there. Made more sense to go through the university.
They moved onto Jennens Road some point during the mid 2000's, there's videos on Youtube of them all going through the old route back in 2002. The 14/14A were going through that way the 66/66A was also doing that route which is still does, it use to be a bus only lane to do the right turn onto Jennens Road which that junction has completely changed now into a crossroads junction with traffic lights.

The 26 (pretty sure) and 55 also went through that way they all used to prior to them running along Jennens Road (Curzon Street for the 26...)

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Jack on July 18, 2021, 02:10:26 PM
They moved onto Jennens Road some point during the mid 2000's, there's videos on Youtube of them all going through the old route back in 2002. The 14/14A were going through that way the 66/66A was also doing that route which is still does, it use to be a bus only lane to do the right turn onto Jennens Road which that junction has completely changed now into a crossroads junction with traffic lights.

The 26 (pretty sure) and 55 also went through that way they all used to prior to them running along Jennens Road (Curzon Street for the 26...)
The 55 originally went via Vauxhall Road and Duddeston, the 26 went via Jennens Road. Both were swapped around in around 1995ish to make the 55 quicker due to Claribels 55 going via Jennens Road.

Jack D

Perhaps the 58 will go via yorkswood, then take the old 55A route towards kingshurst and Chelmsley and the 95 will take the 58 route towards Chelmsley

ellspurs

Quote from: Jack D on July 18, 2021, 07:38:29 PM
Perhaps the 58 will go via yorkswood, then take the old 55A route towards kingshurst and Chelmsley and the 95 will take the 58 route towards Chelmsley

That does make a bit of sense. The main issue would be Rowington Road/Longmeadow Crescent losing its link to the City Centre that it has had for ages.

Jack D

Then 95 go via 96 towards cHelmsley 96 and 71 go through kings hurst to keep that frequency through kings hurst

Jack

Quote from: Jack D on July 18, 2021, 08:45:59 PM
Then 95 go via 96 towards cHelmsley 96 and 71 go through kings hurst to keep that frequency through kings hurst
And Kingshurst will lose its bus to the City Centre, nice one...

ellspurs

Quote from: Jack D on July 18, 2021, 08:45:59 PM

Quote from: Jack on July 18, 2021, 08:50:42 PM
And Kingshurst will lose its bus to the City Centre, nice one...

If that were to happen I'll send you all the pamphlets that'll get shoved through my door from the Green Councilors moaning about it, like when it happened in 2017!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk