News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Skipping part of route

Started by mesub, June 09, 2021, 03:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesub

Let's say that a bus is running quite late (to the point where you've got another one or two other buses behind that bus), outbound.

The bus is now returning inbound, still quite late (so another bus leaves with it)  Would it be able to skip part of the route in order to recover time?
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

Quote from: mesub on June 09, 2021, 03:48:17 PM
Let's say that a bus is running quite late (to the point where you've got another one or two other buses behind that bus), outbound.

The bus is now returning inbound, still quite late (so another bus leaves with it)  Would it be able to skip part of the route in order to recover time?
Not with passengers on I would think. As that would be confusing.

Normally they adjust them I think and sometimes terminate short.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

mesub

Quote from: 2206 on June 09, 2021, 03:55:12 PM

Ah, let's say there's no passengers on the second bus then, would that be fine?
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield

Stu

Quote from: mesub on June 09, 2021, 03:48:17 PM

Quote from: 2206 on June 09, 2021, 03:55:12 PM

Quote from: mesub on June 09, 2021, 06:49:00 PM

It would not be up to the driver's discretion, they would have to receive instructions from control first.

From previous experiences, overhearing the drivers radio, control will ask how many passengers are on board. Obviously if a bus is near full, it is not practical to just 'dump' passengers off, unless there is an empty bus just behind. One example I recall was being the last passenger on an outbound 2, the driver was running late due to the sudden closure of Stratford Road when it subsided earlier this year. He'd radioed control to ask to be adjusted, then he asked me how far I was going. As it happened I was only going to Billesley Fire Station, control then gave the driver the 'all-clear' to run dead to and turn around at the garage.

On more frequent routes, what usually happens is that the driver is instructed to continue along the route 'not in service', and only stopping to let passengers off, thus making up some time by not picking up passengers.

On a route served by other services, if there are only a few passengers on board, it is less of an inconvenience to get those passengers to continue on another bus (though those passengers might still disagree!) - for example with the Stratford Road services, a late running 2 or 3 might be instructed to turn around at Camp Hill Island, in which case passengers get 'deposited' at the Auckland Road stop for transfer onto any other service just behind.

But I stress again, any adjustments made like this are not done on the driver's initiative, it all has to be cleared with the control centre.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

mesub

Quote from: Stu on June 09, 2021, 07:35:47 PM
But I stress again, any adjustments made like this are not done on the driver's initiative, it all has to be cleared with the control centre.

Amazing. Thank you for this insightful post.
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield

MW

If you're a Diamond driver running very late on say the 50, drivers previously could just adjust themselves by terminating short, as long as you inform them of the lost mileage.

I cannot confirm if this is still the case though. I did hear about a dedicated inspector being put onto the 50 (Diamond) due to reliability issues when Redditch took over, so perhaps this freedom has been removed and left to the inspector.

mesub

Quote from: MW on June 09, 2021, 09:15:05 PM
If you're a Diamond driver running very late on say the 50, drivers previously could just adjust themselves by terminating short...

Interesting, thank you.
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield

Trident 4194

Quote from: MW on June 09, 2021, 09:15:05 PM
If you're a Diamond driver running very late on say the 50, drivers previously could just adjust themselves by terminating short, as long as you inform them of the lost mileage.

I cannot confirm if this is still the case though. I did hear about a dedicated inspector being put onto the 50 (Diamond) due to reliability issues when Redditch took over, so perhaps this freedom has been removed and left to the inspector.

They've stopped that now I'm pretty sure. You have to ring up the garage if you are running late or want to take a shortcut so to speak. At least that was my impression from one of the drivers from tividale.

Westy

Pre-pandemic(certainly prior to June 2019!), 529's were running to J10 only from Wolverhampton.

Haven't seen any for ages!

Quote from: mesub on June 09, 2021, 06:49:00 PM
I meant they don't skip out a part of route with passengers on they run dead between points as told by the control centre.

Quote from: Stu on June 09, 2021, 07:35:47 PM
On more frequent routes, what usually happens is that the driver is instructed to continue along the route 'not in service', and only stopping to let passengers off, thus making up some time by not picking up passengers.
Quote from: Westy on June 09, 2021, 10:25:00 PM
Pre-pandemic(certainly prior to June 2019!), 529's were running to J10 only from Wolverhampton.

Haven't seen any for ages!
Normally I see them run dead or as I saw a 87E turned short at Ladywood Spring Hill Island the other week, which was turned around to take up a service the other way.
Also you sometimes see 55E/94E to Ward End, 14E to Tile Cross/Chelmsley Interchange when those services are disrupted, etc.
I also saw an 11 branded bus running through Ladywood as well NIS, the other week, presumably adjusted to take up a service somewhere.
I don't normally see NX buses running as Unload Only. But Claribels used to quite a lot.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk