News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Hydrogen vehicles

Started by Tony, April 30, 2021, 06:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BK63 YWP

Quote from: Jack on December 18, 2021, 11:39:09 PM
The ones that do get sent out seemingly can't do a days service without being swapped during the day and some days during the last week theres been 0 Hydrogens out. Teething issues or not the whole introduction to service is poor and sloppy compared to how YW's Electric's entered service!

The hydrogen are refuel out of depot, Electric chargers installed into YW/CV, currently a driver shortage, when the electrics entered there were ample drivers.

Brexit has caused the driver issues as foreign nationals have left the country that were driving most of the HGVs, lorry companies have put the wage up alot higher than bus companies can match so current drivers are being tempted by this so are leaving bus companies.

Also Hydrogen is fairly new technology and not many operators of these vehicles around the country. There also the infrastructure needed for this highly flammable fuel to be put in place also.

Electric on the other hand has been going for a while even before standard electric cars and buses took off. The technology there has been adapted through the years plus batteries are becoming more energy efficient, some cars can get up 200 miles on a single charge or more.

YWs electric can't really do a full day in service  and diesels usually do the late evening finishes. I believe according to bus times that Coventrys electrics can sometimes do a full day on the 9/9A as the route is less distance than the 6.

Wouldnt be surprised if certain garages in the future will just have one type of traction type. I.e. Walsall all hydrogen or Perry Barr all electric? But I'll need a crystal ball for that one
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

don

This is clearly a time of massive change in the industry and you would expect teething issues (the driver shortage is clearly a Brexit side effect some politicians are keen to play down/cover up).

Just in the January 2022 issue of Buses magazine there is the Beulas Jewel E double decker going on trial with Go Ahead London - this vehicle, using a U.K. developed drive train is an electric with claimed range of 300 miles. Also there are new Volvo double and single deck electrics, developed with body builder MCV, the first double deck example of the BZL double decker going into service with Metroline - Volvo is not disclosing the range of this vehicle currently.

All this points to ground shifting fairly quickly in terms of range of vehicles available so this may result in opportunities for operators - the electric for short and hydrogen for longer routes strategy may alter as a result - very interesting times.
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

Tony

This week and next week only 3 a day are planned to be out

windy miller

3 a day?  ..can someone tell me which service(s) they propose to
be in use on?    and are there any additional safety features in the event of a
collision?..I wonder.. ???
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Gareth

Quote from: windy miller on December 20, 2021, 09:06:39 PM
   3 a day?  ..can someone tell me which service(s) they propose to
be in use on?    and are there any additional safety features in the event of a

Im sure they are as robust as any bus in a collision. They're hardly the Hindenburg.

Solo1

On 51 service Walsall - Birmingham

Wumpty

Quote from: windy miller on December 20, 2021, 09:06:39 PM
   and are there any additional safety features in the event of a

Hydrogen buses are no more dangerous than diesel buses. In some respects they're safer as hydrogen is 14 times lighter than air and, if leaked, will rise into the atmosphere, whereas a diesel or petrol leak forms puddles and is a greater fire risk (granted, diesel is less flammable than petrol, but more dangerous if it vapourises). The buses are built just as robustly as diesel buses to protect everyone.

The hydrogen fuel system is protected by TPRD valves (thermally activated pressure relief device) which will release hydrogen into the atmosphere when the system detects increase temperature deemed a danger.

Quote from: Jack on December 18, 2021, 11:39:09 PM
The ones that do get sent out seemingly can't do a days service without being swapped during the day and some days during the last week theres been 0 Hydrogens out. Teething issues or not the whole introduction to service is poor and sloppy compared to how YW's Electric's entered service!

Hardly poor and sloppy if you look at the new technology, the infrastructure and the amount of work you DON'T see that goes into this type of bus. Again, it's very easy to criticise when you really don't consider how much work is required.

There was no huge fanfare and launch - it was a very soft launch and the press releases from NXWM were very mindful that this is still very much a trial phase to evaluate them, not only in service, but also behind the scenes to see if the whole process if fit for purpose.

I'd be very interested to know how you would have done it differently to NXWM.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

mesub

Quote from: Solo1 on December 20, 2021, 10:44:44 PM
On 51 service Walsall - Birmingham

And possibly a X51 journey if one of them ends up on the 51 board that does an X51.
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

MARKG

Are there any Hydrogens out today please?

Solo1

Quote from: MARKG on December 31, 2021, 11:02:39 AM
Are there any Hydrogens out today please?
16 in city now. 1 + 20

MARKG

Quote from: Solo1 on December 31, 2021, 12:07:30 PM
16 in city now. 1 + 20
Thanks. Since my last post I have seen those 3. Any likelihood they may be switched later & others out?

Solo1

Quote from: MARKG on December 31, 2021, 12:15:48 PM
Thanks. Since my last post I have seen those 3. Any likelihood they may be switched later & others out?
I don't think they would of swapped them if driver not type trained

windy miller

Q   Is there any possibility that in the event of these H vehicles deemed
  to be unsuitable for short distances is there/will there ever be an option
   to remove all H equpment and resort to the present E engine ? and is it
   possible to use/reuse chips from older vehicles when they are
  withdrawn??

windy miller

I saw one 'bombing' down the walsall road recently... :).

GoldenSquid

Do Hydrogen Buses run on Saturdays? Does anyone know how many are normally out?
Local Routes: 14/71/72/94/95/96/97/X12/X13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk