News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Auto fare equipment usage

Started by j789, January 11, 2021, 09:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j789

Looking at the recent photos of Grimsby -Cleethorpes transport buses, a number have auto fare equipment very similar to that used in the West Midlands. I've not seen many other operators around the country using this fare system.

We're there any other large operators who used the auto fare equipment?

Was the Grimsby set up the same as West Midlands?

Tony

Grimsby Cleethorpes is an unusual company for me as I think it is the only 'major' company I never saw a single vehicle running for them. I went to Grimsby one day in the 1980s and they were on strike, I got let around the garage, saw the entire fleet and never went back before the Stagecoach takeover

Ian Hardy

More than you think:

In Scotland: Lothian, First Glasgow, NX Dundee, First Aberdeen are still using this system as do some parts of First Scotland East & Stagecoach's Scottish operations.

In Wales: Cardiff City Transport & Newport Bus still do.

In England: Nottingham City Transport, Reading Buses & Rotala's Preston Bus still do

WYPTE in Bradford, Halifax & Huddersfield (but not in Leeds), Plymouth City Transport & Southampton Citybus used to but don't anymore.

London Transport in the 1960's & 70's on the suburban flat fare routes and also on the Red Arrow buses. The Red Arrows still did until the artics were introduced & London's buses went cashless.

j789

Quote from: Ian Hardy on January 11, 2021, 10:14:34 PM
More than you think:

In Scotland: Lothian, First Glasgow, NX Dundee, First Aberdeen are still using this system as do some parts of First Scotland East & Stagecoach's Scottish operations.

In Wales: Cardiff City Transport & Newport Bus still do.

In England: Nottingham City Transport, Reading Buses & Rotala's Preston Bus still do

WYPTE in Bradford, Halifax & Huddersfield (but not in Leeds), Plymouth City Transport & Southampton Citybus used to but don't anymore.

London Transport in the 1960's & 70's on the suburban flat fare routes and also on the Red Arrow buses. The Red Arrows still did until the artics were introduced & London's buses went cashless.

I never realised there were so many, I've often thought that Nottingham City Transport was like a smaller version of WMT, lots of similarities.

Who manufactured the auto fare machines? I remember reading elsewhere on here that the machines were reused in multiple generations of buses so I guess most of NXWM's are original 1970s ones.

Wumpty

IIRC Nottingham City Transport had Autofare 3 for a time.

Reason I'm posting this as I was speakng to a former colleague of mine and we recalled that Walsall Council had a couple of Autofare 3 systems in use for selling advanced tickets to council events like Walsall Illuminations and Town Hall events too. These were based in a small office just off reception in Leisure Services where I was based for a short time. I'm told that these still exist in the bowels of the Civic Centre - we're trying to establish if they do.

Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Westy

My late father used to work for Walsall Leisure Services back in the 80's  through to the early to mid 90's, & we used to get into the Illuminations on the preview night!

Wumpty

Quote from: Westy on November 01, 2021, 06:05:32 PM
My late father used to work for Walsall Leisure Services back in the 80's  through to the early to mid 90's, & we used to get into the Illuminations on the preview night!
There was a cross over period between Leisure Services selling prebooked ticked and the Illuminations ticket buses of the 90s - I'm sure that Metroriders were impromptu ticket offices basd up at the Arboretum extension and shuttle buses ran from there to Lichfield Street drop off.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk