News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Routes withdrawn and then reinstated

Started by sonic84, December 04, 2020, 07:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonic84

With Diamonds 202 being withdrawn and replaced by the 44, only to later be reinstated, are there any other examples in the West Midlands.

Off the top of my head I can think of the 61, replaced with the X61 and then reinstated.

What other examples are there?

Jack

The 52 then into the 952, then 52/52A, then back to the 952 and then back to 52 (now doing the former 46 route).

Westy

I can think of the attempt to 'rejig' the Walsall to Bloxwich set of routes in 1993/1994.

One of the Mark Fitchew blogs mentions it in detail.

Stu

The 30 in Acocks Green was withdrawn after the first Solihull review, and replaced by the S3 (Acocks Green to Dorridge/Hockley Heath).

When NX withdrew from the S2 and S3 services, which passed to Diamond, the 30 was reinstated.

(The 30 of course later passed to Diamond, and is now the A12)
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SO6597

Going back a while...

The old WMPTE 48 (Frankley/Cotteridge version) was withdrawn at deregulation but then made a comeback a few months later with WMT.

Not quite withdrawn but re-renumbered - the 27 being replaced by the 35 for a few years in the mid/late 90s before making a comeback. Also the 44 being replaced by the x-city 46 for a while before reinstatement.

the trainbasher

The Diamond 56 having some trips renumbered to X56 (running the same route, just fast to Perry Barr). They ended revising it back to how it was

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

ellspurs

Quote from: Stu on December 04, 2020, 08:25:49 PM
The 30 in Acocks Green was withdrawn after the first Solihull review, and replaced by the S3 (Acocks Green to Dorridge/Hockley Heath).

When NX withdrew from the S2 and S3 services, which passed to Diamond, the 30 was reinstated.

(The 30 of course later passed to Diamond, and is now the A12)

And before the 30, it was an extended 71 from Sutton Coldfield to Acocks Green via Solihull (what a route). And before that, it was the 672, right?

Steve3229vp

Quote from: ellspurs on December 04, 2020, 08:53:07 PM
And before the 30, it was an extended 71 from Sutton Coldfield to Acocks Green via Solihull (what a route). And before that, it was the 672, right?
No, It was a 38 which was Acocks to Solihull via the 30/71, then to Dorridge via Copt Heath and Knowle.
The 38 was introduced in 1990 and replaced minibus services A (Acocks Green to Solihull via Olton and Streetsbrook Road) and K (Solihull and Dorridge) also replacing peak service 181 which ran as the 30 is now.

ellspurs

Quote from: Steve3229vp on December 04, 2020, 09:06:34 PM
No, It was a 38 which was Acocks to Solihull via the 30/71, then to Dorridge via Copt Heath and Knowle.
The 38 was introduced in 1990 and replaced minibus services A (Acocks Green to Solihull via Olton and Streetsbrook Road) and K (Solihull and Dorridge) also replacing peak service 181 which ran as the 30 is now.

Ah yes, I did think it was one of the Dorridge/Knowle buses, but then had a brain fart and pulled 672 up for some reason.

NXWM did essentially pull out of the Dorridge/Knowle corridor in the end. I always thought the 38 was well used.

Bob

Quote from: Westy on December 04, 2020, 07:54:02 PM
I can think of the attempt to 'rejig' the Walsall to Bloxwich set of routes in 1993/1994.

One of the Mark Fitchew blogs mentions it in detail.

The long withdrawn 345 from walsall to cannock was reiintroduced and that time but this time with a 349 both operating as a ( very) long clockwise and anti clockwise circular

Westy

Quote from: Bob on December 05, 2020, 02:32:32 PM
The long withdrawn 345 from walsall to cannock was reiintroduced and that time but this time with a 349 both operating as a ( very) long clockwise and anti clockwise circular

The first chance of a Pte/Twm service for several years between Bloxwich & Brownhills, albeit the long way round via Cannock & Norton!

Crosville

Would the 951 count, service reduced to peaks but Cannock-Walsall section was withdrawn[replaced by 351], renumbered X51 reintroduced Monday to Saturday, & operates on Sundays, [i may be wrong, i don't think the 951 ever operated on Sundays],  X51 had a couple of peak journeys to Bloxwich/Cannock, now half the service runs through to Cannock Mondays to Saturdays.

Westy

Quote from: Crosville on December 06, 2020, 03:32:33 AM
Would the 951 count, service reduced to peaks but Cannock-Walsall section was withdrawn[replaced by 351], renumbered X51 reintroduced Monday to Saturday, & operates on Sundays, [i may be wrong, i don't think the 951 ever operated on Sundays],  X51 had a couple of peak journeys to Bloxwich/Cannock, now half the service runs through to Cannock Mondays to Saturdays.

To be fair, Nx never came completely off the route, due to those Cannock peak journeys.

SO6597

Another one that's come to mind is the Your Bus 54y. Withdrawn in December 2000 but then reappearing (operated by Pete's Travel) in November 2001, it didn't do very well with its original half hour frequency reduced to hourly the following January before disappearing altogether in March.

PB2938

Service 995 Birmingham-Kingstanding-Brownhills West run down to peaks only in February 2002. PETES Travel take over make it a successful 30 minute service with Arrivas 156. Becoming route 56 every 30 minutes.

In October 2015 diamond give up on 56 taken over by nxwm successful 937.
952A Rugeley
Via Great Barr,  Walsall, Cheslyn Hay, Cannock, Heath Hayes and Hednesford

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk