News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Least Used Services in the West Midlands

Started by bususer28, November 15, 2020, 08:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bususer28

I was just wondering if anyone had any stats as to the least used services in the West Midlands both generally and for NX as I can't find anything online.

Ian Hardy

I doubt you will find anything for any commercial service as that sort of information will be sensitive and the bus companies would not want to share this with anyone.

However for tendered services, Network West Midlands, as the organisation issuing the contracts, would probably have that information as they need to know whether it is worth paying for that service to operate.

MasterPlan

I'd take a guess at the frivolous BC 25 being a number 1 in this particular category...
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

DJ

At a guess, it'd be infrequent tendered routes taking the top spots. That, or something that doesn't run much, such as Travel Express' placement trips on the 529.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

bususer28

Quote from: Ian Hardy on November 16, 2020, 08:39:11 PM
I doubt you will find anything for any commercial service as that sort of information will be sensitive and the bus companies would not want to share this with anyone.

However for tendered services, Network West Midlands, as the organisation issuing the contracts, would probably have that information as they need to know whether it is worth paying for that service to operate.
Now when I think about it, you're right. It's just that London produce quite detailed info so I was wondering if something similar was done for the West Midlands.
Quote from: MasterPlan on November 16, 2020, 10:18:51 PM
I'd take a guess at the frivolous BC 25 being a number 1 in this particular category...
Yes, I agree. I had my guesses on either the 10S or the 25 but those were just guesses.

Quote from: MasterPlan on November 16, 2020, 10:18:51 PM
I wonder whether BC 25 could be covered by another service?
Maybe AG 1 could be extended to Ladywood, via Hagley Road, Monument Road, Ladywood Road, Francis Road, Hagley Road. As that only appears to be a fairly short loop.
That would serve the section on Monument road, that doesn't have another service.
And would give connections to Hagley Road/Five Ways (for the 9/12/13/126 into Town and 23/24 to Harborne) and Edgbaston Old Church for regular X20/X21/X22 to the QE.

And if it was more frequent as well than the 25 and possibly ran some sort of peak service then it could possibly be a better service for Ladywood than the 25 I would think and possibly more popular.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Morrisons,+Birmingham+B16+8SJ/52.4759892,-1.9263635/52.4713096,-1.9189967/@52.4730099,-1.9340047,15z/data=!4m15!4m14!1m10!1m1!1s0x4870bc57bdb4c9df:0xf558a7bd1ffa9fea!2m2!1d-1.9203552!2d52.4716169!3m4!1m2!1d-1.9258683!2d52.4719921!3s0x4870bc55bf1eaf2b:0xd8ddd597aa9f4aa7!1m0!1m0!3e0

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MasterPlan

I don't think there's ever been a more pointless route than the 25. I don't understand what the point in making it a circular route was to be honest.

Also is it really needed in Ladywood? I doubt it's ever been used there in truth and you have the regular 80A not far away from Monument Road anyway.

To have any chance of success it needs to have some peak journeys included and to be amended to a more simplified route that serves the same places inbound that it does outbound. Ideally areas where it'd actually pick up passengers. However, I can't see any of that materialising.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Ian Hardy

Quote from: bususer28 on November 17, 2020, 06:21:02 PM
Now when I think about it, you're right. It's just that London produce quite detailed info so I was wondering if something similar was done for the West Midlands. Yes, I agree. I had my guesses on either the 10S or the 25 but those were just guesses.

The difference is that all routes in London are tendered and not commercial so TfL; as a public body; has a duty to publish the figures. The competition between operators is in the bids for the contracts.

Everywhere else in Great Britain routes are operated commercially and so that sort of information is commercially sensitive and no operator would want a potential competitor to know the full details of how each route is doing as they would start running in competition with them.

Pat

Quote from: Ian Hardy on November 17, 2020, 10:16:08 PM
The difference is that all routes in London are tendered and not commercial so TfL; as a public body; has a duty to publish the figures. The competition between operators is in the bids for the contracts.

Everywhere else in Great Britain routes are operated commercially and so that sort of information is commercially sensitive and no operator would want a potential competitor to know the full details of how each route is doing as they would start running in competition with them.
http://wmbusphotos.com/forum/index.php?topic=5049.0
TfWM did release some figures in this thread. 

Sayeed

Quote from: MasterPlan on November 17, 2020, 07:40:05 PM
I don't think there's ever been a more pointless route than the 25. I don't understand what the point in making it a circular route was to be honest.

Also is it really needed in Ladywood? I doubt it's ever been used there in truth and you have the regular 80A not far away from Monument Road anyway.

Yes it is really needed, OAPs mainly use it to get to the Hospital. Beside, it may not be relevant to this post but QEHB have never been so busy after first lockdown with almost 50% increase of outpatient appointments as well as an increase number of visitors even though they are not allowed to visit the wards.   
Век живи - век учись

To have any chance of success it needs to have some peak journeys included and to be amended to a more simplified route that serves the same places inbound that it does outbound. Ideally areas where it'd actually pick up passengers. However, I can't see any of that materialising.
Ladywood is the main place on the service I think other than QE and City Centre, and thats what the via point on the destination display for that service highlights as well.
I agree about simplified route and peak journeys though.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

bususer28

Quote from: Pat on November 17, 2020, 10:49:22 PM
http://wmbusphotos.com/forum/index.php?topic=5049.0
TfWM did release some figures in this thread.
Thanks, even though it's out of date it's quite interesting!

I think you're right. I think if the 10 was edited around slightly then it could provide a peak service to Ladywood.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk