News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Timetable Changes 15/11/20

Started by The Fox 4846, November 15, 2020, 10:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Whilst I do understand that drivers are put in a difficult position, I do think that they have a moral duty to enforce the restrictions, in the absence of a police officer, inspector etc.  This is not just Covid restrictions, but revenue and other issues on the bus.

Trident 4194

Quote from: Tony on November 19, 2020, 11:34:49 AM
As you are an expert on all aspects of bus operations please advise us on how you would deal with these people then.

Turn the bus off. If I'm a driver I'm in a box. At the end of the day drivers are paid regardless, doesn't matter whether their moving or not

John

Quote from: Trident 4194 on November 19, 2020, 10:19:57 AM
To be honest though, while NX drivers are essentially robots - and as you say don't have a voice, customers aren't going to respect them. I will say thankyou to nx drivers but I know full well I won't get a reply. At diamond most drivers will say thankyou or thanks mate or your welcome.

Don't tar us with the same brush. If someone is pleasant to me then i will reply if its not thanks from fare dodging trash

Quote from: Trident 4194 on November 19, 2020, 12:38:07 PM
Turn the bus off. If I'm a driver I'm in a box. At the end of the day drivers are paid regardless, doesn't matter whether their moving or not

Oh yeah then we get assaulted and you'll be surprised what people will do to open that door

Quote from: Pat on November 19, 2020, 11:39:05 AM
Whilst I do understand that drivers are put in a difficult position, I do think that they have a moral duty to enforce the restrictions, in the absence of a police officer, inspector etc.  This is not just Covid restrictions, but revenue and other issues on the bus.

You obviously think people listen to us then. Any thing you say to the scum and the first thing you hear is f*** off. We are not police and can not enforce restrictions

Jack

Quote from: Tony on November 19, 2020, 11:34:49 AM
As you are an expert on all aspects of bus operations please advise us on how you would deal with these people then.
I'd take a mugshot from the CCTV and stick it in the depots, canteens etc (usually repeat offenders it is) and make sure all the drivers don't stop for them or let them board and have assistance from an inspectors or police (if necessary).

MW

To put it into perspective, I was once driving a Diamond bus in Solihull and was boarding outside the college. I think it was a Solo or a WF Streetlite, so not very big. Bus got rammed full with standing load because the NX 5 was running late.

Anyway, there were a bunch of chavs playing music out of one of them external/Bluetooth speakers. As they stepped on the platform, I said to all of them, "you better switch that off if you're boarding MY bus". Low and behold, they turned it off.

I think sometimes not having an assault screen helps. When there's a screen, people naturally would think what's he gonna do, he's behind the screen. But if you carry yourself with authority, 9 times out of 10 people do listen. You've got to talk to them in a way they wouldn't expect the average steering wheel attendant I guess. Maybe I'm asking for trouble and one day it'll catch up with me, but so far my strategy has worked.

Pat

Quote from: MW on November 19, 2020, 01:09:50 PM
To put it into perspective, I was once driving a Diamond bus in Solihull and was boarding outside the college. I think it was a Solo or a WF Streetlite, so not very big. Bus got rammed full with standing load because the NX 5 was running late.

Anyway, there were a bunch of chavs playing music out of one of them external/Bluetooth speakers. As they stepped on the platform, I said to all of them, "you better switch that off if you're boarding MY bus". Low and behold, they turned it off.

I think sometimes not having an assault screen helps. When there's a screen, people naturally would think what's he gonna do, he's behind the screen. But if you carry yourself with authority, 9 times out of 10 people do listen. You've got to talk to them in a way they wouldn't expect the average steering wheel attendant I guess. Maybe I'm asking for trouble and one day it'll catch up with me, but so far my strategy has worked.
I think at times, that's really what it is  speak to/treat people how you would want to be treated yourself.  I work in a customer service role myself, and always treat customers how I would want to be treated.  The more positive you are towards customers, the better day you have, I always find. 

Tony

Quote from: Pat on November 19, 2020, 02:08:41 PM
I think at times, that's really what it is  speak to/treat people how you would want to be treated yourself.  I work in a customer service role myself, and always treat customers how I would want to be treated.  The more positive you are towards customers, the better day you have, I always find.

Spot on, but having been a driver and a revenue Inspector in the past some people think it is 'their right' to not pay, travel on the first bus if it is full, and however you speak to them, because you are saying what they don't want to hear you either get ignored or aggression towards you

Pat

Quote from: Tony on November 19, 2020, 02:43:15 PM
Spot on, but having been a driver and a revenue Inspector in the past some people think it is 'their right' to not pay
And then they wonder why fares keep increasing!

Steveminor

As I said though there is NO excuse for a driver loading a bus beyond its capacity along route: you simply dont stop or stop short or long from the stop. This is a public health crisis.

Pat

Quote from: Steveminor on November 19, 2020, 05:32:41 PM
As I said though there is NO excuse for a driver loading a bus beyond its capacity along route: you simply dont stop or stop short or long from the stop. This is a public health crisis.
I was on a bus the other day where the driver loaded about 10 school kids.  Bus was full and standing.

Lukeee

Quote from: Steveminor on November 19, 2020, 05:32:41 PM

Depends, if it's the last bus of the night and your past your reduced capacity you cant really drive past and leave passengers behind

Kevin

Quote from: MW on November 19, 2020, 01:09:50 PM

Interesting to contrast that with your view about fare dodgers though....
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

MW

Quote from: Kevin on November 20, 2020, 11:48:41 AM
Interesting to contrast that with your view about fare dodgers though....

You'll have to remind me of that my friend

Bus Man K2

Quote from: PB2938 on November 18, 2020, 07:53:57 AM
Regarding 82/87 if everyone followed the government guidelines essential travel only apart from peak hours I'm sure the bus wouldn't be rammed.

It's partly that but also if the buses don't run to time even if there's no trafdic on thecrll road then no doubt people will try to board the first bus that comes even if it's only going par route.

Westy

Quote from: Lukeee on November 19, 2020, 10:36:34 PM
Depends, if it's the last bus of the night and your past your reduced capacity you cant really drive past and leave passengers behind

Should only be key workers on the bus at that point surely?

If you have to go out for a drink(under the tiered restrictions!), then only somewhere within walking distance!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk