News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

What equipment do drivers carry?

Started by Pat, July 30, 2020, 12:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Perhaps some of the drivers on here could share what sort of things they carry with them on their duty.  Are there certain things drivers need to carry?  Are there any things that drivers carry to make their job easier?  Please share!

Dom

Quote from: Pat on July 30, 2020, 12:07:38 PM
Perhaps some of the drivers on here could share what sort of things they carry with them on their duty.  Are there certain things drivers need to carry?  Are there any things that drivers carry to make their job easier?  Please share!

At NX, there isn't exactly much you NEED to carry with you. Obviously, license and DQC card. Apart from that, you are required to carry a 'SpitKit' to be used in the situation of any bodily fluid being exchanged. Myself, I always used to carry a couple of snacks, a drink but also a couple of timetables of the routes I would be doing that day, to aid passengers as best a possible.

MW

At Diamond, your drivers licence and DQC card. A pouch or small bag to carry takings on the bus. I'd always exchange the coins for notes in my break to make my bag lighter. Diamond (Redditch) give you a A4 paper with your days work on it.

Redditch use running boards like NX which remain on the bus from start to finish. Tividale do not do this as far as I'm aware. They give each driver a "driver board", which stays with them throughout the day.

Lots of drivers carry extra bags with them containing ticket rolls and other stuff. I never bothered.

Some drivers carried water bottles; or old milk bottles filled with water lmao.

Straightlines

Quote from: Dom on July 30, 2020, 02:43:18 PM
At NX, there isn't exactly much you NEED to carry with you. Obviously, license and DQC card. Apart from that, you are required to carry a 'SpitKit' to be used in the situation of any bodily fluid being exchanged. Myself, I always used to carry a couple of snacks, a drink but also a couple of timetables of the routes I would be doing that day, to aid passengers as best a possible.

Any idea about Stagecoach, Arriva or smaller operators like Green Bus?

fleetline6477

At one time drivers would often carry a small toolkit, so they could tighten a loose screw or something. Disposable cameras were also carried by some drivers in case of an RTA but I guess with mobile phones and CCTV they aren't needed in same way now.

MW

Quote from: fleetline6477 on July 31, 2020, 05:04:05 PM
At one time drivers would often carry a small toolkit, so they could tighten a loose screw or something.

That may be been the cover story, but I suspect those who did had ulterior motives...

karl724223

A pensnett driver gets
Small bottle of hand gel (top it back up at garage when low)
3 disposable face masks a day
Pack of 3 reusable face masks
Rubber gloves
Pack of anti bacterial wipes
Thermometer
Blue roll at garage (like kitchen roll but thicker)
Spit kit
Torch

AndrewLee

Pat

markcf83

Quote from: AndrewLee on August 14, 2020, 01:34:58 PM
Mushroom key! 😀

Is that what I might be more familiar with as a T key?
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Tony

Quote from: markcf83 on August 14, 2020, 03:11:53 PM
Is that what I might be more familiar with as a T key?

No it's the round topped one used to free the cash chute up when it gets jammed

fleetline6477

At one time some drivers carried towels to cover the seat before sitting on it.

There was an AG driver, used to see in Solihull, carried a huge cushion to sit on.

mesub

Quote from: fleetline6477 on August 14, 2020, 04:30:32 PM

There was an AG driver, used to see in Solihull, carried a huge cushion to sit on.

One or two BC drivers did have something like this before lockdown
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

markcf83

Quote from: Tony on August 14, 2020, 03:19:04 PM
No it's the round topped one used to free the cash chute up when it gets jammed

I see.  Thanks Tony.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Pat

Quote from: fleetline6477 on August 14, 2020, 04:30:32 PM

I've seen Arriva drivers carrying a moquette seat cover.  Apparently it is to stop you sweating on the seat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk