News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Park Street closure + service changes from 5th July

Started by CL, July 01, 2020, 01:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CL

https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/news/birmingham-city-centre-bus-stop-changes?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SocialSignIn

Park Street closes to all traffic permanently from 5th July; naturally, the Coventry Road services will be affected, but it appears it'll also have an effect on other city services.

It also appears the 16 will no longer serve Priory Queensway; with no alternative stop on the road in either direction. Its inbound stop will be served by Pershore Road, which, in turn, will no longer serve Carrs Lane/High Street.

Quite a domino effect with these changes, in my opinion - not all of which I'm on board with, admittedly. (Pardon the pun  :P )
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Tony

Quote from: CL on July 01, 2020, 01:32:21 PM
https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/news/birmingham-city-centre-bus-stop-changes?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SocialSignIn

Park Street closes to all traffic permanently from 5th July; naturally, the Coventry Road services will be affected, but it appears it'll also have an effect on other city services.

It also appears the 16 will no longer serve Priory Queensway; with no alternative stop on the road in either direction. Its inbound stop will be served by Pershore Road, which, in turn, will no longer serve Carrs Lane/High Street.

Quite a domino effect with these changes, in my opinion - not all of which I'm on board with, admittedly. (Pardon the pun  :P )

It does still stop on The Priory Queemsway, just not stops BS9 or BS11

CL

Quote from: Tony on July 01, 2020, 03:50:29 PM
It does still stop on The Priory Queemsway, just not stops BS9 or BS11
Duly noted :) Thanks for the clarification!
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Jack

Is it that supposed to be some joke that the 2, 3, 5 and 6 are all going to stop outside Boots? The Pershore Road services did a good enough joke of blocking up Carrs Lane, the Stratford Road buses will do even better at it. It would make more sense to of kept the (frequent) 6 at the top of Carrs Lane instead of moving it outside Boots with the (lesser frequent) 2, 3 and 5 services moving to Boots.

And lovely to hear to more services (45/47) being shoved away from the main centre of the city. Priory Queensway is a joke with even more services terminating/commuting along it.

MW

Quote from: Jack on July 03, 2020, 03:18:00 PM
Is it that supposed to be some joke that the 2, 3, 5 and 6 are all going to stop outside Boots? The Pershore Road services did a good enough joke of blocking up Carrs Lane, the Stratford Road buses will do even better at it. It would make more sense to of kept the (frequent) 6 at the top of Carrs Lane instead of moving it outside Boots with the (lesser frequent) 2, 3 and 5 services moving to Boots.

And lovely to hear to more services (45/47) being shoved away from the main centre of the city. Priory Queensway is a joke with even more services terminating/commuting along it.

Ah I remember 5 years ago when I was driving for NX, the havoc that the Pershore Road & Bristol Road services caused on Carrs Lane. Our stops (2/3/5/6/31/37) were all shunned to the side. Forever buses being trapped in. The BC buses having their driver changeovers/layovers caused problems too, as it meant buses behind trapped. The 6 & 37 were given the stop outside Boots for a while, but it was too small. Having big Scanias blocking half the road on that bend because there wasn't enough space to pull in. Struggling to pull into the 5/31 stop because of a BC E400 abandoned at the first stop, and then something else waiting on the stop in front.

It really was mayhem lol. Peaceful in contrast to what it was before the BC routes arrived from wherever they came from.

Busboy105

Quote from: Busboy105 on July 03, 2020, 10:36:29 PM
Why is Park Street being closed?
Due to HS2.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Busboy105

Quote from: 2206 on July 03, 2020, 10:39:21 PM
Due to HS2.
Why does it need to be closed because of HS2? The traffic is going to be horrific.

Pat

Quote from: Busboy105 on July 03, 2020, 10:43:00 PM
Why does it need to be closed because of HS2? The traffic is going to be horrific.
The fact they're building a brand new station very close by might be a clue?

Tony

Quote from: Pat on July 03, 2020, 10:47:56 PM
The fact they're building a brand new station very close by might be a clue?

Yes, a bit difficult to drive over the tracks and platforms

Jack

Quote from: MW on July 03, 2020, 03:41:10 PM
Ah I remember 5 years ago when I was driving for NX, the havoc that the Pershore Road & Bristol Road services caused on Carrs Lane. Our stops (2/3/5/6/31/37) were all shunned to the side. Forever buses being trapped in. The BC buses having their driver changeovers/layovers caused problems too, as it meant buses behind trapped. The 6 & 37 were given the stop outside Boots for a while, but it was too small. Having big Scanias blocking half the road on that bend because there wasn't enough space to pull in. Struggling to pull into the 5/31 stop because of a BC E400 abandoned at the first stop, and then something else waiting on the stop in front.

It really was mayhem lol. Peaceful in contrast to what it was before the BC routes arrived from wherever they came from.
It is still chaos in its current form, Pershore Road buses blocking off Carrs Lane, the top stop on Carrs Lane has too many buses serving it. This lead to the 33/51 and limited stop services being held up by all these.

I don't understand why everything tends to get shunted to Priory Queensway, its hardly any better there, with the 61/63, X20/X21/X22 all using the same stop backing traffic onto the roundabout.

May I add that the Hagley Road stop on Colmore Row has way too many buses stopping at it, only one of them (126) doesn't stop with them.
Doesn't all that breach health and safety?

Whole city has been in shambles for years...

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Jack on July 04, 2020, 09:54:45 AM
It is still chaos in its current form, Pershore Road buses blocking off Carrs Lane, the top stop on Carrs Lane has too many buses serving it. This lead to the 33/51 and limited stop services being held up by all these.

I don't understand why everything tends to get shunted to Priory Queensway, its hardly any better there, with the 61/63, X20/X21/X22 all using the same stop backing traffic onto the roundabout.

May I add that the Hagley Road stop on Colmore Row has way too many buses stopping at it, only one of them (126) doesn't stop with them.

I personally blame The Mayor who has the ultimate responsibility for buses for this latest shambles on bus stop relocation in.the City Centre. He hasn't a clue about buses & frankly relys on advisors and TfWM when decisions such as this are taken. In many ways advisers are only good for driving 40 miles to test thier eyesight mind you doubt they would recognize a bus stop even then. There are of course exceptions to the rule but they are few and far between.

Pat

Quote from: Jack on July 04, 2020, 09:54:45 AM

I might add, the stops on Corporation Street, outside The Square Peg, can get congested sometimes too.  There's sometimes a 110 waiting time there, blocking the X3/4/5.

Jack

Quote from: Pat on July 04, 2020, 10:32:50 AM
I might add, the stops on Corporation Street, outside The Square Peg, can get congested sometimes too.  There's sometimes a 110 waiting time there, blocking the X3/4/5.
Oh how could i forget... The Square Peg... It's bad there when theres 3 Harborne buses parked up and the Sutton's fighting for the stop blocking all the 33/51 and limited stop services... It was better when the 82/87 was there as they didn't have a bus coming every 4 minutes...

ellspurs

Banish all the buses from using Carrs Lane/Lower Bull Street/that part of Corporation Street and make them stop on the outskirts like the East Birmingham buses have had to do for years now.

Have TfWM inspectors on hand to make buses move on if they're blocking stands, as bus timetables should be designed to not have any layover in the City Centre. If buses have to layover, they should move to one of the back Digbeth streets.

Make Moor Street Queensway bus-only, and force non-public transport to go round the ring road.

Put the bus stop thing back on there which they built and never used.

(You can see I would be absolutely terrible at this job)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk