News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Social distancing on buses, post Lockdown.

Started by ellspurs, May 27, 2020, 03:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Pat on June 04, 2020, 05:37:39 PM
If drivers couldn't enforce it, then who would?  I think it would be a matter of being refused travel if you weren't wearing a face mask.
I can't see how enforcing the use of face masks would be easy, at all to be honest.

But in regards to making it mandatory, can everyone wear a face mask? Would it cause any problems for people with respiratory conditions, etc - as that's what some of the comments I've read argue? See the comment bellow.

"Deborah Manneh Karen Lambeth no , they are damaging to people with pre existing respiratory conditions and making everything " mandatory " is just nonsense" -
https://www.facebook.com/nxwestmidlands/photos/a.373247266053647/3309134649131546/?type=3&comment_id=3309396592438685&reply_comment_id=3309433889101622
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Pat

Quote from: ellspurs on June 04, 2020, 05:38:38 PM
I found a newspaper article: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/wolverhampton-ring-road-speed-limit-18338016

Road closures and pavement widening and such other things.
I suppose that makes sense in order to minimise disruption to bus services.  However, I wonder if having one way pavements would work?

ellspurs

Quote from: Pat on June 04, 2020, 05:42:36 PM
I suppose that makes sense in order to minimise disruption to bus services.  However, I wonder if having one way pavements would work?

In Cambridge on Wednesday, I drove over a bridge just north of the city centre. There were signs on the bridge telling people to walk on the left pavement (basically make sure the river is to the left of you when crossing). Was it being followed? Nope.

TT90

If drivers couldn't enforce it, then who would?  I think it would be a matter of being refused travel if you weren't wearing a face mask.

So the Driver can get abused more, swore at and threatened etc..?

Quote from: 2206 on June 04, 2020, 05:39:56 PM
I can't see how enforcing the use of face masks would be easy at all to be honest

But in regards to making it mandatory, can everyone wear a face mask? Would it cause any problems for people with respiratory conditions, etc - as that's what some of the comments I've read say/argue? See the comment bellow.

"Deborah Manneh Karen Lambeth no , they are damaging to people with pre existing respiratory conditions and making everything " mandatory " is just nonsense"
https://www.facebook.com/nxwestmidlands/photos/a.373247266053647/3309134649131546/?type=3&comment_id=3309396592438685&reply_comment_id=3309433889101622
Saying that I hadn't noticed the above comment that its actually being made mandatory from the 15th June? Wander how it will work and who will enforce it if someone really didn't want to wear one - I think it will make the drivers jobs more difficult.

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

John

Its putting more pressure on drivers in an already tough time. And I suspect that there will be no extra inspectors or Police to help us enforce this

I see it as we are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. If we do enforce both the social distancing capacity limits (which will be impossible after the 15th June when more people will likely be travelling) and now the wearing of masks, its asking for confrontation off people who won't wear a mask or want to get on a full bus. Increasing the risk of assult or spitting towards drivers. And if a driver chooses to not enforce the rules then they will more than likely get abuse of people saying there are too many people on the bus and people not wearing masks. Its a no win situation

Sorry to say this but I for one won't be enforcing either of these if I choose to go back to work this month, I'm just paid to drive the bus and go some wiithout fear of assult and the easiest way to do this is to say nothing while in the cab

Stu

Face-coverings are completely useless, in my opinion, and completely unneccessary.

If this is to become mandatory, then I'll stop travelling by bus. I can't afford to keep buying these facemasks as most of them aren't reusable.

There was no obligation for them to be worn by passengers during the 'worst' of this epidemic. And there is still no convincing evidence that healthy people need to wear them.

Same goes for the 'social-distancing' measures. I am quite frankly getting sick of all this rubbish, which is again in my opinion severely disrupting businesses and peoples' everyday well-being in general.

The thing to consider is that the more 'we' (as a people in general) accept and go along with this, the less likely things will return to how they were before, the 'new normal' is not going to be a very pleasant future.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me and will find my opinion unpopular, but I've kept quiet for too long biting my lip, and I've had enough I guess of keeping quiet. Maybe, just maybe, there are other people who do agree, but have also kept quiet for 'fear' of being labelled an 'outcast'.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Gareth

Quote from: Stu on June 04, 2020, 06:50:42 PM

I can't afford to keep buying these facemasks as most of them aren't reusable.

You can use a scarf, it doesn't have to be a mask. Lots of people have for sale on places like Etsy or eBay, reusable, washable fabric coverings and masks. For as little as a couple of pounds if you didn't want to make your own.

Pat

Face-coverings are completely useless, in my opinion, and completely unneccessary.

If this is to become mandatory, then I'll stop travelling by bus. I can't afford to keep buying these facemasks as most of them aren't reusable.

There was no obligation for them to be worn by passengers during the 'worst' of this epidemic. And there is still no convincing evidence that healthy people need to wear them.

Same goes for the 'social-distancing' measures. I am quite frankly getting sick of all this rubbish, which is again in my opinion severely disrupting businesses and peoples' everyday well-being in general.

The thing to consider is that the more 'we' (as a people in general) accept and go along with this, the less likely things will return to how they were before, the 'new normal' is not going to be a very pleasant future.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me and will find my opinion unpopular, but I've kept quiet for too long biting my lip, and I've had enough I guess of keeping quiet. Maybe, just maybe, there are other people who do agree, but have also kept quiet for 'fear' of being labelled an 'outcast'.
Well said Stu.  I think that if we are to return to normal, there needs to be steps taken that are bold and progressive.  The introduction of wearing masks on public transport has come far too late, and I don't see any benefit at this stage.  If anything, it is portraying to the public that it is dangerous to use public transport.  This of course is going to spread anxiety amongst those who rely on public transport and put people off, right at a time where we are starting to see some form of return to normality in terms of getting people to work.  I think that social distancing is now starting to cause more problems than solutions - especially when it comes to using public transport.

Zander

Quote from: John on June 04, 2020, 06:17:25 PM
Its putting more pressure on drivers in an already tough time. And I suspect that there will be no extra inspectors or Police to help us enforce this

I see it as we are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. If we do enforce both the social distancing capacity limits (which will be impossible after the 15th June when more people will likely be travelling) and now the wearing of masks, its asking for confrontation off people who won't wear a mask or want to get on a full bus. Increasing the risk of assult or spitting towards drivers. And if a driver chooses to not enforce the rules then they will more than likely get abuse of people saying there are too many people on the bus and people not wearing masks. Its a no win situation

Sorry to say this but I for one won't be enforcing either of these if I choose to go back to work this month, I'm just paid to drive the bus and go some wiithout fear of assult and the easiest way to do this is to say nothing while in the cab

100% agree with this, I'm a driver too and will not be enforcing this. I can't see anybody paying for there to be an extra inspector or police to enforce it.

"BABIES, disabled people and anyone with breathing difficulties won't have to wear a face mask on public transport, it was confirmed tonight.

Mr Shapps added: "There will be exceptions to these rules for very young children, disabled people and those with breathing difficulties."

The Department for Transport hasn't yet published a full list of exactly who will be able to get away without wearing one."
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11785932/exemptions-face-masks-public-transport/

Will it be even possible for a driver to tell who does and doesn't need to wear a mask in that case and who does and doesn't have breathing difficulties?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Pat

Quote from: 2206 on June 04, 2020, 07:21:08 PM
"BABIES, disabled people and anyone with breathing difficulties won't have to wear a face mask on public transport, it was confirmed tonight.

The Department for Transport hasn't yet published a full list of exactly who will be able to get away without wearing one."
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11785932/exemptions-face-masks-public-transport/

Will it be even possible for a driver to tell who does and doesn't need to wear a mask in that case and who does and doesn't have breathing difficulties.
This is one reason why the wearing of face masks doesn't make much difference in my opinion.  You'll still have people potentially spreading the virus, albeit not as many.

the trainbasher

Quote from: TT90 on June 04, 2020, 05:35:32 PM
Grant Shapps Transport Sec is now saying face coverings will be mandatory on public transport from 15th June.

How will the be enforced on buses ? Surely drivers can't be made to enforce this ?

From a safety point of view, making people wear face coverings and masks is giving carte blanche to the more unsavoury members of the public to abuse transport staff and passengers, with less chance of identifications being made.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

the trainbasher

@Stu, fully agree with the points you've made.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Steveminor

Firstly I'll state these are my own personal opinions.

It's being written into psv regulations so it will be the drivers responsibility to police it just like any other psv regulation.
People with respiratory illnesses may have trouble with medical grade face masks but we're talking about face coverings even a scarf so that doesn't hold up.

The virus death rate etc. Yes I'm fed up with it & dont like all these measures & it does seem silly when you consider what a small percentage of the population has unfortunately died from covid 19. But how would you feel if you or a close loved one died from the disease, maybe then you would appreciate the measures that are being taken & even insist on more.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk