News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Service Level Increase

Started by MK, April 27, 2020, 10:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK

Morning All.

Although not mentioned in the mainstream media, the 'open secret' within the Railway industry is that plans are currently being worked on by many train operating companies for a significant increase in train services (75-80% of normal service mentioned by several operating companies) for the week commencing Monday 18th May. This is at the request of DfT/Network Rail.

With this date being only 3 weeks away, how much time would Bus Operators need to get things ready for the potential significant upturn in passenger numbers?

Busboy105

Quote from: MK on April 27, 2020, 10:20:40 AM
Morning All.

Although not mentioned in the mainstream media, the 'open secret' within the Railway industry is that plans are currently being worked on by many train operating companies for a significant increase in train services (75-80% of normal service mentioned by several operating companies) for the week commencing Monday 18th May. This is at the request of DfT/Network Rail.

With this date being only 3 weeks away, how much time would Bus Operators need to get things ready for the potential significant upturn in passenger numbers?
Probably the same amount of time. There are thousands of buses that hasn't been used in a while due to the lockdown so they would need to be road ready else they'll just break down. Plus there's the SORN thing as well.

Pat

Quote from: Busboy105 on April 27, 2020, 11:36:39 AM
Probably the same amount of time. There are thousands of buses that hasn't been used in a while due to the lockdown so they would need to be road ready else they'll just break down. Plus there's the SORN thing as well.
I'm not so sure about bus service levels being increased at the same time.  National Rail has a far higher passenger demand and usage than buses, so I think they'll be a bit further behind.  That said, there are many communities that have no rail link (Dudley for example) that rely heavily on their buses, so I think they must be planning something to get services back up and running.

Quote from: MK on April 27, 2020, 10:20:40 AM
Morning All.

Is 18th May when the lockdown is meant to be reviewed again? Wander if there's likely to be a start to some sort of easing of the lockdown if service levels are resuming, in which case you would think bus services would resume as well as lots of the Midlands  isn't served by rail, for example most of East Birmingham.
Maybe a reduced Saturday service for buses?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Pat

Quote from: 2206 on April 27, 2020, 12:42:40 PM
Is 18th May when the lockdown is meant to be reviewed again? Wander if there's likely to be a start to some sort of easing of the lockdown if service levels are resuming, in which case you would think bus services would resume as well as lots of the Midlands  isn't served by rail, for example most of East Birmingham.
Maybe a reduced Saturday service for buses?
7th May is next review date.  If there are plans to increase service levels, then presumably they're going to be there to get people to/from work, so there must be some sort of easing of restrictions planned soon?

ellspurs

And from observations today, the number of cars back out on the road has increased by quite a bit since last week.

markcf83

Train timetables were due to change from around that date anyway when the summer schedules were to be introduced.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

don

Interesting - however with Network Rail travel usage running at less than 10% of normal, based on around 50%-60% of the service, I can't see usage increasing to match that very quickly - no one should expect a sudden increase in usage.
I also can't see bus operators wanting to increase frequencies of commercial routes if the demand isn't there.
We're still going to have to social distance for ages yet.
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

MK

Quote from: don on April 27, 2020, 10:32:41 PM
Interesting - however with Network Rail travel usage running at less than 10% of normal, based on around 50%-60% of the service, I can't see usage increasing to match that very quickly - no one should expect a sudden increase in usage.
I also can't see bus operators wanting to increase frequencies of commercial routes if the demand isn't there.
We're still going to have to social distance for ages yet.

Which comes back to why i asked the question. The logical reason for the the government to request an increase in rail services from the 18th May would be that they consider them necessary to cope with demand (potential of people returning to work, opening of non-essential shops, services etc.)
Social distancing certainly wouldn't be possible on buses unless the frequencies were significantly increased from where we are at the moment

don

Nor on commuter trains - however will everyone go back to original travel patterns after working from home - I somehow doubt it - why commute if you really don't need to - ultimately it would save on travel costs and office space also - there are lots of possibilities.

Another large travel demand will be schools going back - I can't see that happening before September now.
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

Quote from: don on April 28, 2020, 02:04:58 PM
Another large travel demand will be schools going back.
Undoubtfully something that will happen at some point.
Would mean a large increase in travellers, but on the other hand its also questionable how people could social distance on bus services such as the 11 around school times, if/when schools reopen.
Unless they start of with a partial reopening of some sort, to limit the number of people who need to travel and get on buses in a single day - preventing overcrowded services.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

JoNi

Presumably with return of frequent long distance rail travel National Express Coaches will come back to life too.

mikestone

Quote from: don on April 28, 2020, 02:04:58 PM
Nor on commuter trains - however will everyone go back to original travel patterns after working from home - I somehow doubt it - why commute if you really don't need to - ultimately it would save on travel costs and office space also - there are lots of possibilities.

Another large travel demand will be schools going back - I can't see that happening before September now.
;
I suspect "intercity" operators will be badly hit - how many employers are going to let their staff go back to having a day out at the opposite end of the country to conduct business that can be done online in a couple of hours?

markcf83

Quote from: JoNi on April 28, 2020, 02:44:56 PM
Presumably with return of frequent long distance rail travel National Express Coaches will come back to life too.

Agreed.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

55 and 94 are increasing again to every 15 minutes - combining to every 7 minutes from the 24th May.
11A/11C are increasing to every 10 minutes.
X20/X21/X22 increasing to every 30 minutes combining to every 10 minutes.
Timetables are on NX Bus Website.

25 will also be reintroduced.

Also notice temporary changes to all services which use the Priory Queensway due to HS2:
https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/information/temporary-diversions/priory-queensway-hs2-works

YW 6 also upped to every 10 minutes so wander if this means those electric buses will enter service from this date?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk