News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Killer Corona Virus

Started by Sandy Lane, April 08, 2020, 01:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Steveminor on May 13, 2020, 01:43:43 PM
He was asked if he personally would get on a packed bus or train & he honestly said no, cant see the problem there after all it follows government advice not to use public transport unless it is essential & to follow social distancing guidelines.
Those scenes this morning in London people are clearly not following those guidelines.
Why are people having to get on packed services?
Are TFL not running an adequate service??  These are very likely people going to work I would think. I think its pretty obvious that walking and cycling isn't going to be an option for a lot of peoples journeys either.

There didn't seem to be any problems with distancing on the services I saw passing me in my local area earlier, as from what I can see NX are running an adequate service. And have even recently increased frequencies to allow this to be possible.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MK

Quote from: Steveminor on May 13, 2020, 01:22:01 PM
I cant see where that quote is either.

My own personal opinion is that the same I would not get on a bus or train or tube that was overcrowded like the pictures weve seen in london. Doesn't mean I wouldn't use public transport it means I would be more mindful to avoid busy times to wait for a quieter service. But if I dont have to use public transport then I would use other means I.e walk or cycle as per government advice.

My commute into Birmingham City Centre is around 10 miles, so probably a bit too far to walk. in terms of cycling, our firm has no shower facilities. So the thought of either me or a colleague coming into the office smelling of an hour's cycle ride doesn't fill me with any joy at all.
Nobody is using these rush-hour services by choice. I'd gladly work 7am to 3pm if i could, but my boss says no. In the end, it comes down to the attitude and flexibility of the employer.

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Steveminor on May 13, 2020, 01:43:43 PM
He was asked if he personally would get on a packed bus or train & he honestly said no, cant see the problem there after all it follows government advice not to use public transport unless it is essential & to follow social distancing guidelines. Those scenes this morning in London people are clearly not following those guidelines.
At a time of crisis those elected should not be using throw away comments and soundbites some of us have to attend hospitals for cancer treatment and use buses whether we like it or not the comments of  the transport secretary are an utter disgrace  and insult to those like myself who do not have the option of a ministerial car and a reflection of the current administration no longer having control of the pandemic, stay alert?, stay alert for what? at least Wales & Scotland are not subject to such pathetic actions by its politicians such as the idiot on BBC Breakfast this morning. As you say you have the choice and wouldn't get on crowded bus do you suggest then those such as myself do likewise then miss the tight allocated slot allowed for treatment at the hospital to help save one's life or are you suggesting russian roulette with a planned treatment programme?

Tony

Quote from: WyreForestShuttle on May 13, 2020, 02:35:04 PM
At a time of crisis those elected should not be using throw away comments and soundbites some of us have to attend hospitals for cancer treatment and use buses whether we like it or not the comments of  the transport secretary are an utter disgrace  and insult to those like myself who do not have the option of a ministerial car and a reflection of the current administration no longer having control of the pandemic, stay alert?, stay alert for what? at least Wales & Scotland are not subject to such pathetic actions by its politicians such as the idiot on BBC Breakfast this morning. As you say you have the choice and wouldn't get on crowded bus do you suggest then those such as myself do likewise then miss the tight allocated slot allowed for treatment at the hospital to help save one's life or are you suggesting russian roulette with a planned treatment programme to beat cancer?

We finally got fed up with the last person making political posts and I kicked him off please don't go the same way!

And to show I am not bias he was pro Tory, you are anti Tory!

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Tony on May 13, 2020, 02:49:06 PM
We finally got fed up with the last person making political posts and I kicked him off please don't go the same way!

And to show I am not bias he was pro Tory, you are anti Tory!
Ok Tony understood clearly, for what it is worth I am not currently a politically active person or Anti Tory the post was not anti Tory but against the hypocrisy of the transport secretary when unlike him some of us do not have a choice and have to use the bus to undertake life saving hospital treatment, he has a choice I haven't. None of my posts since joining have been political but I accept your points, may I take this opportunity to wish you a very Happy Birthday on Saturday and thank you for your work in keeping your part the bus network running.

ellspurs

Quote from: WyreForestShuttle on May 13, 2020, 02:35:04 PM
At a time of crisis those elected should not be using throw away comments and soundbites some of us have to attend hospitals for cancer treatment and use buses whether we like it or not the comments of  the transport secretary are an utter disgrace  and insult to those like myself who do not have the option of a ministerial car and a reflection of the current administration no longer having control of the pandemic, stay alert?, stay alert for what? at least Wales & Scotland are not subject to such pathetic actions by its politicians such as the idiot on BBC Breakfast this morning. As you say you have the choice and wouldn't get on crowded bus do you suggest then those such as myself do likewise then miss the tight allocated slot allowed for treatment at the hospital to help save one's life or are you suggesting russian roulette with a planned treatment programme to beat cancer?

You'd better hope your vital hospital appointment isn't on a Sunday otherwise the "fabulously excellent" First Worcester Bus Company wouldn't be able to get you to Worcester Royal as they don't seem fit to run the service on a Sunday. I wonder how all those hospital workers get there that need to use the bus.

Tony

Quote from: WyreForestShuttle on May 13, 2020, 03:23:10 PM
Ok Tony understood clearly, for what it is worth I am not currently a politically active person or Anti Tory the post was not anti Tory but against the hypocrisy of the transport secretary when unlike him some of us do not have a choice and have to use the bus to undertake life saving cancer treatment, he has a choice I haven't. None of my posts since joining have been political but I accept your points, may I take this opportunity to wish you a very Happy Birthday on Saturday and thank you for your work in keeping your part the bus network running.

His statement was not hypocritical at all

Statement to Public "only use public transport if you have no other choice"

Minister " I will not be using public transport"

Why is that hypocritical!

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Tony on May 13, 2020, 03:39:21 PM
His statement was not hypocritical at all

Statement to Public "only use public transport if you have no other choice"

Minister " I will not be using public transport"

Why is that hypocritical!
I am not currently interested in politics I have more important matters to worry about I would have been far happier if he had replied to the question "I would only use public transport if I had no other means" as I personally have no other means of transport at present I find the ministers comment one of gross hypocrisy when some of us have no choice in the matter I personally took great offense at the comment which underlies the general perception of public transport normally by elected politicians.

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: ellspurs on May 13, 2020, 03:28:15 PM
You'd better hope your vital hospital appointment isn't on a Sunday otherwise the "fabulously excellent" First Worcester Bus Company wouldn't be able to get you to Worcester Royal as they don't seem fit to run the service on a Sunday. I wonder how all those hospital workers get there that need to use the bus.
I would use Service X50 if necessary on a Sunday & would encourage others too if they require a bus service as it runs nearest to the hospital hourly.

Quote from: 2206 on May 13, 2020, 01:58:58 PM
Why are people having to get on packed services?
Are TFL not running an adequate service??  These are very likely people going to work I would think. I think its pretty obvious that walking and cycling isn't going to be an option for a lot of peoples journeys either.

There didn't seem to be any problems with distancing on the services I saw passing me in my local area earlier, as from what I can see NX are running an adequate service. And have even recently increased frequencies to allow this to be possible.
Saying that I saw a single decker 28 at about 17:30. And it seemed to have loads of people on it, so many that it looked like nearly a full load of passengers from what I could see. I was a little surprised as all the other 28's I've seen have only had a few people on.

Wander if a temporary reroute of the service (Resevior Road, Marsh Lane, Short Heath Road) could be a possibility with the current reduced traffic levels. To allow it to be operated by double deckers during the current preriod. Then if the service gets busy as in the above example, passengers will still be able to distance.

Since presumably at present PB have pleanty of spare double deckers to allow this to happen.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Trident 4194

Has sadiq khan put ample increases in frequencies? Similarly why hasn't the West Midlands increased frequencies to meet the surge in demand of people making essential journies to work?

MK

Quote from: Trident 4194 on May 13, 2020, 07:21:17 PM
Has sadiq khan put ample increases in frequencies? Similarly why hasn't the West Midlands increased frequencies to meet the surge in demand of people making essential journies to work?
It looks to me as though NXWM have. Although i counted 25 people on an 11C that i saw this morning.

Tony

Quote from: MK on May 13, 2020, 07:33:18 PM
It looks to me as though NXWM have. Although i counted 25 people on an 11C that i saw this morning.

Yes, increased frequencies on many route this week, and the entire fleet now being retaxed

karl724223

Quote from: Trident 4194 on May 13, 2020, 07:21:17 PM
service levels on Nxwm will be increasing on bank holiday week and the following week where about 90% of service on services will be running

Ginger66

Quote from: MK on May 13, 2020, 02:25:37 PM
My commute into Birmingham City Centre is around 10 miles, so probably a bit too far to walk. in terms of cycling, our firm has no shower facilities. So the thought of either me or a colleague coming into the office smelling of an hour's cycle ride doesn't fill me with any joy at all.
Nobody is using these rush-hour services by choice. I'd gladly work 7am to 3pm if i could, but my boss says no. In the end, it comes down to the attitude and flexibility of the employer.

I have checked my home to work at it is 9-mile trip and would take three hours. So it would mean been up at 3 am to get ready to leave for 5 am do a 3hr walk to get in for 8 am.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk