News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Reaction to reduced service levels from Wednesday 25th March

Started by Stu, March 19, 2020, 07:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

All this 'chatter' has firmed up my view that 'we' whether it's NX or some other provider has to ensure  that services are available for NHS/health workers to reach their place of work. We expect them to care for us and we have to get them to hospitals or whether they need to be. At this time cost should not be an issue. NX or any other provider is not going bust by providing these services. It is the only moral course of action that should be taken, if it is necessary.

Quote from: MW on March 20, 2020, 09:15:57 PM
Why is NXWM going to run the 76 to QE for example for NHS staff when they can run it for everyone for the same cost and get more passengers?
Don't see why it shouldn't be open to other passengers.
What about passengers who need to get the bus to the supermakets, and some of them might not be able to walk the distance.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stu

Quote from: 2206 on March 21, 2020, 01:59:53 PM
Don't see why it shouldn't be open to other passengers.
What about passengers who need to get the bus to the supermakets, and some of them might not be able to walk the distance.

You're taking MW's quote out of context, it was a rhetorical question.

There are no plans (as of yet) to restrict bus usage to any particular groups of people.

All that is happening is that some service frequencies are being reduced, and this is a reflection on lower numbers of passengers as well as less traffic congestion.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Stu on March 21, 2020, 03:51:29 PM
You're taking MW's quote out of context, it was a rhetorical question.

There are no plans (as of yet) to restrict bus usage to any particular groups of people.

All that is happening is that some service frequencies are being reduced, and this is a reflection on lower numbers of passengers as well as less traffic congestion.
I wasn't taking it out of context.
I was stating I completely agree with the point that the services should be open to all passengers who need to make essential journeys - such as passengers who need to get to supermarkets. Including elderly people and staff.
In addition I don't see the need for special services when the Hospitals are already well served by normal services.
Quote from: Bus Man K2 on March 20, 2020, 09:25:58 PM
As I said if the Government force operators to stop runnung services, but what 'spechial NHS service' that are only open for NHS workers to run, surely NX or any other operator should be thinking of this before it starts. Clearly I'm the only one that poining this out.
It was @BusMan K2 who suggested all services could be suspended and cutting people off, without considering people who rely on them.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Steveminor

As other operators I.e arriva stagecoach etc are also reducing service, would it make sense to move this thread to general rather than just nx

@Steveminor - done!

Steve3229vp

The information below is for Arriva Services

Starting from the first service on Monday 23 March, there will be a reduced service on the following routes:

Service 1 (Walsall) – No service
Service 2 (Walsall) – every 30 mins
Service 3/3a – No service
Service 9 – Saturday service
Service 70 – every 60 min
Service 74/8/9 (Coventry) – Saturday service
Service 110 – every 30 mins

Steve3229vp

The information is for Stagecoach services

Starting from the first service on Monday 30 March, there will be a reduced service on the following routes:

Service U1 Warwick Gates - Leamington - University Of Warwick
Off peak frequency reduced between Leamington and University Of Warwick to every 30 minutes

Service U2 - Leamington - University of Warwick
Service withdrawn

Service U12 University Of Warwick - Coventry
Frequency reduced between Leamington and University Of Warwick to every 30 minutes

Service X17 - Coventry - Kenilworth - Leamington - Warwick
Frequency reduced to every 30 minutes on Mondays to Saturdays and hourly Sundays

Service X18 - Coventry - Leamington - Warwick - Stratford - Evesham
The frequency is reduced to hourly on Mondays to Saturdays on the Stratford to Evesham section

Service 48 Coventry - Nuneaton - Leicester / Atherstone
Frequency reduced Mondays to Saturdays - every 15 minutes Coventry - Nuneaton section every 30 minutes Nuneaton to Atherstone section every 30 minutes Nuneaton - Leicester section

Service 55 Coventry - Bedworth - Nuneaton
Frequency reduced to hourly Mondays to Saturdays

Service 56 Coventry - Bedworth - Bulkington - Nuneaton 
Frequency reduced to hourly Mondays to Saturdays

Service 86 Coventry - Long Lawford - Rugby - DIRFT
Frequency reduced to every 60 minutes Mondays to Saturdays and withdrawn between DIRFT and Rugby Town Centre

Steveminor

Decourcey now have reduced services on their website.
Landflight will be going to a Saturday service.
Diamond have announced some reductions on their website with more potentially to come.

Johnsons are reducing service but timetables not yet released.

Stu

Quote from: Steveminor on March 21, 2020, 04:53:14 PM
As other operators I.e arriva stagecoach etc are also reducing service, would it make sense to move this thread to general rather than just nx

@Steveminor - done!

No problem, and thanks @Winston for moving this - while I originally started this topic to comment on the reaction that NX Bus had received to their announcement, I see no reason why this can't be expanded now that other operators are following suite.

But I will take this opportunity to stress that while I feel these service changes were inevitable, given the current situation, it was the reaction from some people that I was finding absurd.
My locals:

the trainbasher

The thing I'm most concerned about is that once the virus is gone, will operators be willing to reintroduce cut or reduced services to stimulate growth, or do people think that passenger numbers will not return?

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Quote from: the trainbasher on March 21, 2020, 05:54:48 PM
The thing I'm most concerned about is that once the virus is gone, will operators be willing to reintroduce cut or reduced services to stimulate growth, or do people think that passenger numbers will not return?
In time once the virus is gone and people stop isolating/avoiding unnecessary travel, office workers go back to work and schools reopen, surely passenger numbers will increase again?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Steveminor

We will have to see how long this goes on for.
The smart thing is to STOP travelling around & spreading the virus.

Stu

Network West Midlands have set up a dedicated Network Overview page to advise on current service status:
https://www.networkwestmidlands.com/plan-your-journey/network-overview/

My locals:

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Stu on March 22, 2020, 09:43:19 AM
Network West Midlands have set up a dedicated Network Overview page to advise on current service status:
https://www.networkwestmidlands.com/plan-your-journey/network-overview/

This page has been live for a while now.  I don't know how people have missed this.

Stu

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on March 22, 2020, 01:46:25 PM
This page has been live for a while now.  I don't know how people have missed this.

I only got the email from Network West Midlands informing of this early this morning.

My locals:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk