News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Reaction to reduced service levels from Wednesday 25th March

Started by Stu, March 19, 2020, 07:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

I have to admit I haven't read the statement but wondered whether NX have considered running 'new' services specifically for NHS staff. They could link a number of health/NHS sites and run at specific times of the day identified in conjunction with the NHS. Just a thought but may be totally impracticable. As an afterthought we do it for Amazon staff at Christmas, I think, surely at this time where NHS and health workers are running on Adrenalin it's worth considering.

Stu

Quote from: RW on March 20, 2020, 08:59:18 AM
I have to admit I haven't read the statement but wondered whether NX have considered running 'new' services specifically for NHS staff. They could link a number of health/NHS sites and run at specific times of the day identified in conjunction with the NHS. Just a thought but may be totally impracticable. As an afterthought we do it for Amazon staff at Christmas, I think, surely at this time where NHS and health workers are running on Adrenalin it's worth considering.

There is no need to do this as there are no services being taken off! There are plenty of bus services that serve hospitals already, all that is happening is that some very frequent services will become slightly less frequent.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Ginger66

even at night time curtail buses earlier due to no pubs, clubs, theatres

Tony

Quote from: Ginger66 on March 20, 2020, 06:59:09 PM

No. Nurses etc still need to get home

Gareth

Quote from: Ginger66 on March 20, 2020, 06:59:09 PM

Bus users at night aren't only pub, club and theatre goers!

First bus, early morning buses and late night buses and last bus must all remain the same.

Stu

Quote from: 2206 on March 19, 2020, 08:42:50 PM
I did read what has been announced and this:
"These declines will be mitigated through significant network reductions, with UK coach reverting to a network similar to its Christmas Day service. This has the effect of removing up to 80% of capacity. UK bus is reducing its networks similar to a typical Sunday service, which amounts to the removal of around 40% of bus mileage."

is exactly what National Express have announced here:
https://www.nationalexpressgroup.com/newsmedia/corporate-news/2020/covid-19-update/

Hardly something I have just made up.

I know you're not making this up, but there is a difference between a 'corporate press release' (which is what you are quoting), and an 'official statement' which NX have made to the travelling public.

If passenger numbers continue to decline over the coming weeks, then it is not unfeasible to expect that NX could reduce service levels further, perhaps down to Sunday levels, as per the mitigation measures in the corporate press release.

But for now, what I posted in the OP is straight from NX West Midlands and IS what is going to happen from Wednesday.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MW

I've never understood this about the bus industry.

Why do people think that NXWM owe them something. I'm referring to all the moans and complaints you see on social media and on this forum like "oh what about these people" "how am I supposed to get from A to B" etc

NXWM is a business. If they're not covering costs on certain routes, they can withdraw them or run them as infrequently as they please.

If any of you operated a bus company and suddenly you're running at a loss, what are you going to do? Lose money and carry on with the service picking up a handful of people?

You're not forced to use NXWM either. They don't owe the public anything. They exist to make a profit and fulfil demand. There is marginal demand at the moment, so naturally they will reduce the supply (I.e buses).

You hear comments like "how the hell am I supposed to go to work" etc etc.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: SL 16 YPN on March 20, 2020, 08:59:03 AM

There is as people ask the questions that have already been answered

Think of how many people know about this  and then think about OAP's or young people (abd I'm not just talking about school age kids) I think some poeple on here needs to think before thy post.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Stu on March 20, 2020, 06:50:31 PM
There is no need to do this as there are no services being taken off! There are plenty of bus services that serve hospitals already, all that is happening is that some very frequent services will become slightly less frequent.

Think ahead though. If buses are foresed to stop then there won't be any services to hospitals unless operators put 'spechial service on'.

Tony

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on March 20, 2020, 08:42:05 PM
Think ahead though. If buses are foresed to stop then there won't be any services to hospitals unless operators put 'spechial service on'.

But they are not being forced to stop!

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Tony on March 20, 2020, 08:53:33 PM
But they are not being forced to stop!

But when they are. The NHS Staff that don't drive won't be able to get to work. So if NX or any other operator thinks ahead then they will still be able to get to work. So as I said operators should think ahead and may be start doing 'spechial services' for NHS staff.

MW

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on March 20, 2020, 09:01:18 PM
But when they are. The NHS Staff that don't drive won't be able to get to work. So if NX or any other operator thinks ahead then they will still be able to get to work. So as I said operators should think ahead and may be start doing 'spechial services' for NHS staff.

If the NHS/government/TfWM want this, I'm sure they'll put it out to tender.

Why is NXWM going to run the 76 to QE for example for NHS staff when they can run it for everyone for the same cost and get more passengers?

Bus Man K2

Quote from: MW on March 20, 2020, 09:15:57 PM
If the NHS/government/TfWM want this, I'm sure they'll put it out to tender.

Why is NXWM going to run the 76 to QE for example for NHS staff when they can run it for everyone for the same cost and get more passengers?

As I said if the Government force operators to stop runnung services, but what 'spechial NHS service' that are only open for NHS workers to run, surely NX or any other operator should be thinking of this before it starts. Clearly I'm the only one that poining this out.

MW

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on March 20, 2020, 09:25:58 PM
As I said if the Government force operators to stop runnung services, but what 'spechial NHS service' that are only open for NHS workers to run, surely NX or any other operator should be thinking of this before it starts. Clearly I'm the only one that poining this out.

Yes because NXWM and Claribels and other operators announce their strategies on this forum before implementing them...

Nobody knows what will happen. Buses are still running.

If transport links are cut off completely, I'm sure some of the most vital links will still operate in some way shape or form, but we're not there yet.

If it happens; you'll hear about it. Unless you're a director or major player in any of these companies or local authorities, you won't know. Maybe local celebrity Billy Bullshit can help you. It's not just you thinking or pointing this out. You're asking something that nobody can answer.

Tony

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on March 20, 2020, 09:25:58 PM
If the Government stop operators providing vital services, then it is the Government that will need to provide the alternative.

The only reason you're the only none pointing it out is because you are inventing situations

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk