News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Operation London Bridge (When Queen Dies)

Started by Ginger66, January 15, 2020, 05:57:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginger66

I don't know if this as been asked before. 

But what happens if the Queen dies and it is announced after 9am will there still be buses/trains to ferry people home who rely on public transport, and will there be public transport during the days of national mourning.

Gareth

I'd imagine it will be just like any other day. The bus services aren't run by a government department, so should operate as normal.

richardjones210368

Quote from: Ginger66 on January 15, 2020, 05:57:00 AM
I don't know if this as been asked before. 

But what happens if the Queen dies and it is announced after 9am will there still be buses/trains to ferry people home who rely on public transport, and will there be public transport during the days of national mourning.
I can answer this fully as I worked on this in Whitehall nothing will happen till the morning of the funeral bus operators are advised they will be expected to operate a normal public service untill 10am. The day of the funeral will be declared a public holiday akin to Christmas Day and Easter Day while operators would be expected to operate a sunday service. All banks and public buildings save hospitals will be closed. Shops would be expected to be closed till 4pm. Operators would be expected to suspend most bus services from 10am to 4pm save for essential services for hospitals and key services in Cities etc on which the operator would be expected to operate a normal Sunday Service as would TfL. This will all be decided by the Lord Lieutenant of each county in consultation with the local authority. The rail network would continue to operate as normal while a three minuet silence would be held at 11am. Hope this helps.

Stuharris 6360

In my opinion, it will be a very sad day when "London Bridge is down", to be honest I think during the 12 days of mourning buses will continue to operate as normal until the day of the funeral. On the day of the funeral, I personally think that everything should stop for the entire day (like a Christmas Day) with it being a National "holiday" to allow everone to be given the chance to watch the funeral.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

richardjones210368

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 15, 2020, 03:47:28 PM
In my opinion, it will be a very sad day when "London Bridge is down", to be honest I think during the 12 days of mourning buses will continue to operate as normal until the day of the funeral. On the day of the funeral, I personally think that everything should stop for the entire day (like a Christmas Day) with it being a National "holiday" to allow everyone to be given the chance to watch the funeral.
Yes @Stuharris 6360 nothing will change in the days before the funeral as Her Majesty will lie in state in Westminster Hall, the day of the funeral will be a national holiday and the lord lieutenant of each county will liaise with each local authority for essential services to continue within in the TfWM area only minimal bus services will operate with volunteers called for the rotas between 10am and 4pm mainly routes routes such as 19, 76 and X21 to allow essential staff to get to the QE etc. After 4pm a normal Sunday service will operate.

Mike K

Glad we got all that sorted. So there's a good chance that the X20/21/22 might run on time on the day of the Queen's funeral then?

Steveminor

Just wondering why this question has just suddenly come up does @Ginger66 know something the rest of us don't

karl724223

Quote from: Steveminor on January 15, 2020, 07:14:57 PM
Just wondering why this question has just suddenly come up does @Ginger66 know something the rest of us don't
maybe ginger ninja Harry and mystic meg are planning something
I heard megs sat nav is programmed to avoid tunnels

richardjones210368

Once Her Majesty has popped off a senior cobra team will assemble led by the PM in a secret underground bunker that no knows about under the old FCO building in Whitehall its from here that PM will lead the team after using a tunnel that links it to  no 11 and await the privy council amazingly like Buck House it has its own tube station. It really is eary being on a darkened tube platform with tube trains whizzing past nearby.

Gareth

Quote from: richardjones210368 on January 15, 2020, 09:37:07 PM
Once Her Majesty has popped off a senior cobra team will assemble led by the PM in a secret underground bunker that no knows about under the old FCO building in Whitehall its from here that PM will lead the team after using a tunnel that links it to  no 11 and await the privy council amazingly like Buck House it has its own tube station. It really is eary being on a darkened tube platform with tube trains whizzing past nearby.

There are many tunnels, secret and not so secret under London. But there is no tube 'station' at Buckingham Palace.

richardjones210368

Quote from: Gareth on January 15, 2020, 09:43:09 PM
There are many tunnels, secret and not so secret under London. But there is no tube 'station' at Buckingham Palace.
There is and I have been on it a tunnel goes from under the palace and links to the station that is rarely used under the old FCO office for use of the Prime Minister & Her Majesty in the 5 years I worked in Whitehall it was never used but if there was an attack on Buck House the tunnel would also be used to secure the Royal Family under the old FCO building.

Steveminor

Whilst not confirming or denying Richard's statement, his role would or should require signing of the official secrets act (like a former seasonal role I had at a royal palace one year). This is not job limited & lasts FOR LIFE. My learned friend should be wary of posting such things which if they were true would contravene the official secrets act on an open forum.

richardjones210368

Quote from: Steveminor on January 16, 2020, 07:37:43 AM
Whilst not confirming or denying Richard's statement, his role would or should require signing of the official secrets act (like a former seasonal role I had at a royal palace one year). This is not job limited & lasts FOR LIFE. My learned friend should be wary of posting such things which if they were true would contravene the official secrets act on an open forum.
Don't worry @Steveminor anything I reveal on here about the work I undertook  for H M Government from 2011 to 2019 I have to send first to my former line manager at what was the BIS for clearance by what is basically a vetting department because of the demands of social media it usually comes back almost immediately. Nothing I post on here is not cleared first I am not that stupid. Yes I had to sign the Official Secrets Act in 2011 and I am still being paid by the state till the end of March but I am not that stupid to post stuff that I could end up prosecuted for its all legit. Someone on here posted how could I be a PEP? well part of the obligations is to verify what I can post and cant post I try to post on here a true account of the other side of life which the forum would never here together with life on the X8 whilst keeping within the strict parameters of our code of conduct its very similar to the ministerial code but for what are basically civil servants and if you think how have we ever met think back to the Bus Alliance Public Meeting last Summer next to The Albany remember the blonde know it all on the front row who kept being attacked for his outrageous comments indeed my comments on Simon Dunn who had failed to turn up because I said he must have broken down on the way did not go down well in the room but somehow I knew all the councillors present and some of the other WMT management and introduced a number of the TfWM Bus Champions in the room to them well that was me I really enjoyed our long conversation afterwards but I was actually attending to report to someone else about it and in those days wasnt allowed to post on social media jog any memories?

Steveminor

I have a 2 year old & a 5 week old & am very sleep deprived haha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk