News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

NXWM Bus Mentors

Started by richardjones210368, January 07, 2020, 10:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardjones210368

On a serious note @Tony I came across a "Bus Mentor" sitting behind the driver on the 74 this morning. Is this a new idea from NXWM as I have never seen one before. Were all aware of route learning and driver training etc but how does this "Bus Mentoring" work please?

Zander

Just another name for buddy driver.
New starters are usually paired with one of them for 2 weeks when they start

Tony

Quote from: richardjones210368 on January 07, 2020, 10:50:29 AM
On a serious note @Tony I came across a "Bus Mentor" sitting behind the driver on the 74 this morning. Is this a new idea from NXWM as I have never seen one before. Were all aware of route learning and driver training etc but how does this "Bus Mentoring" work please?

New drivers for their first few days in normal service are paired up with one of the most experienced drivers as a bus mentor. He can then answer any fare or route queries the new driver may not be aware of. He is also a second pair of eyes making sure the new driver follows the correct route to eliminate the risk of low bridge collisions etc.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Tony on January 07, 2020, 11:16:28 AM
New drivers for their first few days in normal service are paired up with one of the most experienced drivers as a bus mentor. He can then answer any fare or route queries the new driver may not be aware of. He is also a second pair of eyes making sure the new driver follows the correct route to eliminate the risk of low bridge collisions etc.

This is a great Idea, why has this only been thought of recently? As I've never seen this either and still haven't to this day.

richardjones210368

Quote from: Tony on January 07, 2020, 11:16:28 AM
That really is a great idea I am sure it gives the new driver so much more confidence and then any questions etc can be answered by an expert I hope this reduces down the churn rate I will bring it to the attention of TfWM at the next meeting a really good idea thanks for the explination.and just for that I am heading up Gorsty Hill on 1896 after coming back on 6920 a great bus and enjoying the ride chèers I have really enjoyed my morning on West Midlands Travel Thank You.

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on January 07, 2020, 11:25:57 AM
This is a great Idea, why has this only been thought of recently? As I've never seen this either and still haven't to this day.
I've seen it before over the years at AG on the 11 and PB on the 94 and 28 so nothing new.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stu

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on January 07, 2020, 11:25:57 AM

Tony will probably correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure NX Bus have been doing this for years.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: 2206 on January 07, 2020, 06:55:23 PM
I've seen it before over the years at AG on the 11 and PB on the 94 and 28 so nothing new.

I used to do it 18 years ago, called buddy driving, but it has been formalised now with set people and hi-vis so passengers know it is not some random employee distracting the driver

richardjones210368

Quote from: Tony on January 07, 2020, 06:57:24 PM
I used to do it 18 years ago, called buddy driving, but it has been formalised now with set people and hi-vis so passengers know it is not some random employee distracting the driver
Yes I remember Buddy Driving and are used to see a fellow employee showing a newbee the ropes but have never seen a Bus Mentor before today on the 74 so prominently on the high vis it is very good idea and should be applauded. Your 4H was very good tonight a pleasant change.

Tony

Quote from: richardjones210368 on January 07, 2020, 07:07:07 PM
Yes I remember Buddy Driving and are used to see a fellow employee showing a newbee the ropes but have never seen a Bus Mentor before today on the 74 so prominently on the high vis it is very good idea and should be applauded. Your 4H was very good tonight a pleasant change.

If you genuinely see something wrong - post it. No problem at all. NX genuinely want to do things right, more so now than ever in my 42 years, for this year 2020 we now have someone who's job it is to get even the minor details correct.
All the following that are reported anywhere including the oddities page on her should be fixed within a reasonable time.
- missing logos, fleet numbers, livery defects
- destination blind defects
- wrong seat moquette inside the bus on odd seats
- wrong coloured seat backs or seat grab handles
- old peeling stickers
- damage or vandalism
- route branding missing/wrong/damaged
and the list goes on

Somethings like missing branding take longer to fix than others because new vinyls have to be ordered from the printers, but others can be fixed fairly quickly

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk