News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

The gradual disappearance of the 146

Started by Steve3229vp, May 05, 2019, 09:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonic84

I am too not surprised at this news.  The 146 appears to have struggled for a while now especially with the improvements to the train service.

Back in 2002 First did a fair bit of marketing for the route as the "146 shuttle" and increased the frequency to every 20 minutes. Only a year later it was reduced to hourly.

Cheese

Regularly see the 06:30 bus through Cotteridge, think the maximum I have ever seen on that bus is 5? Only time the 146 is busy is when the Cross City has broken, so hardly a surprise they are cutting 'commuter' journeys as barely any commuters use them.

Gareth

Between 2000 and 2004 I worked in Hopwood, so the 146 was used by me every day. I'd get a bus between 8 and 8.30am some mornings and on some evenings I'd get the last bus back which left Hopwood well after 10pm into Birmingham, which would then make the last trip back to Redditch.

It was a great service, every 30minutes throughout the day, and a couple of years later, this was increased to every 20minutes. It's quite sad to see what this route has become, but if it's not being used, it can't run around carrying fresh air.  I'm glad I no longer work there, the walk up Redditch Road and Birmingham Road to the Man on the moon for the 45 at night isn't fun without street lighting and limited pavement!

Kevin

Would it be more worth running the 146 as per the current 145 and terminate in the outer suburbs of Brum?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Cheese

Quote from: Kevin on May 07, 2019, 12:27:13 PM
Would it be more worth running the 146 as per the current 145 and terminate in the outer suburbs of Brum?

Yes, would make sense probably to terminate it at Kings Norton Station, for either 45/47 or train.

Gareth

Quote from: Cheese on May 07, 2019, 01:47:32 PM
Yes, would make sense probably to terminate it at Kings Norton Station, for either 45/47 or train.

The 146 serves Redditch, Alvechurch, so you could get the train from either of those places. You don't need to get a bus to transfer at Kings Norton when you can do the journey without changing.

JPC

Quote from: Gareth on May 07, 2019, 05:31:31 PM
The 146 serves Redditch, Alvechurch, so you could get the train from either of those places. You don't need to get a bus to transfer at Kings Norton when you can do the journey without changing.

The same could be said for the Johnsons 20 service terminating at Shirley Station which I suspect would better patronised if it went to Solihull instead.
I'm sure most people on here would drool at the idea of NX doing a X3 style takeover of the 146 integrating it into the 45/47 corridor numbered as service 46.

Justin Tyme

If I remember correctly Diamond restored the morning peak journeys on the 146 shortly after taking Redditch depot over from First.

Also, don't forget that several 146 stops are nowhere near the railway - and Alvechurch Station is some way outside the village - so there must be some demand for a bus service along the A441.

Johnsons 150 provides a Redditch - Birmingham link.  Although it follows a very different route, I wonder if it has taken any passengers from the 146.

sonic84

I suspect that the majority of the 146 passengers either use it between Redditch and Hopwood. As mentioned already the train station is nowhere near the shops in Alvechurch. I also suspect it is concession card holders using it between Redditch and Birmingham. I can't imagine it picks up many between West Heath and Birmingham.

The 150 is a different route. I wonder whether the 150 benefits from serving Church Hill and Winyates in Redditch?

Dylanbusboy45

Quote from: sonic84 on May 07, 2019, 07:37:06 PM
I suspect that the majority of the 146 passengers either use it between Redditch and Hopwood. As mentioned already the train station is nowhere near the shops in Alvechurch. I also suspect it is concession card holders using it between Redditch and Birmingham. I can't imagine it picks up many between West Heath and Birmingham.

The 150 is a different route. I wonder whether the 150 benefits from serving Church Hill and Winyates in Redditch?

Admittedly I haven't used the 146 myself this year, but my family often use it from West Heath to and from Birmingham. The cheaper fares do gather in some customers in the WM area, though it really it's enough to sustain its running. Part of the problem is due to the fares too, I'm not going to name any dates/times but on numerous occasions, my family have been charged £1.30 for a single from Birmingham to West Heath, despite the ticket saying to Pebble Mill. This is with swift but looking on the website it should be around £1 more. If everyone is getting charged incorrectly, this isn't going to be doing any good for any profit the Route makes.

Westy

Pretty sure when I've seen a Diamond issued ticket 'over my way', it never seems to show the 'correct' information!

(I'd moan, but bearing in mind the majority of Diamonds drivers I've seen, now how I can put this without causing offence but, it isnt worth having an argument with, as it would waste your time trying to explain the situation to them & 'they know best'!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk