News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Surplus Platinums/Route Brandng

Started by twb1979, February 22, 2019, 09:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twb1979

For those that don't know me, I work in a frontline Ops Management role overseeing service delivery, personnel and assets. I was also born here and try to visit once a year.

As always I pay close attention to the vehicle movements and their allocations.

It's apparent that NXWM has surplus Platinums spread across the network, clearly evident at AG, BC, PB and WA.

Is anyone in the 'know' aware if NXWM has given consideration to rounding up these surplus buses and platinumising another route that had a lower PVR?

Also the taboo topic of route branding - it's gone absolutely bonkers here in the last 2 years. Passengers just wanted a reliable and efficient bus network. I can understand the requirement for branding partnership services such as 31/32 and 42/43 but is all this excessive route branding really necessary, do the people who make these decisions on route branding actual get out and observe buses in the real world? It must cause headaches for traffic and engineering staff alike and create mileage imbalances across fleets.

PB is an example.... they have E400's branded for the 7, 16, 33 and the 101 and multiple times daily I've seen buses on the incorrect routes...would it not make greater sense to remove the branding and replace it with material that is designed to increase patronage and bus ridership.

Be interested to hear people's thoughts on this, topical debate.

Quote from: twb1979 on February 22, 2019, 09:42:31 PM
It's apparent that NXWM has surplus Platinums spread across the network, clearly evident at AG, BC, PB and WA.
I wouldn't have thought BC or AG have any surplus platinums.
BC don't seem to have enough for their own current platinum routes let alone anymore. The BC X21 and X70 are platinum routes yet the main allocation on these routes at present is standard buses.
AG's rarely are on anything else but the X12, I doubt they've got many extra surplus platinums, until they only recently got an extra 1 there were loads of non platinums on there everyday and I still see an occasional 61XX on there.

Route branding advertises the services and where they go to non bus uses and advertises new routes to current passengers as well. I think it would help in gaining extra revenue and making people aware of where routes go I think. I don't know what you mean by that, but I think thats the reason the branding is there in the first place, its designed to increase passenger ridership.
I also don't see why you find it such a big problem to have the odd route branded bus on another route.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

winston

No sorry, don't know who you are (even seeing your email address), but Platinum's appearing on other routes are simply down to engineering spares only. Up until recently,  there were insufficient Platinum's at both WA, BC & AG to cover the full pvr.

As regards route branding, if I didn't have any positive impact / benefits to the operator, why has it been rolled out on such scale on virtually all main corridors... Tbf, NXWM are generally pretty good at keeping route branded buses on the correct routes, the only exception being Sundays. As only the most fuel efficient buses now work Sunday routes.

karl724223

Not being funny but if you work in a frontline ops management roll like you say you do you would know how it works  just saying

Stevo

I don't think the gentleman works for NXWM as he says he tries to visit once a year and I'd hope NXWM staff come here more often!

winston

Actually, the name does ring a bell from either Flickr / Yahoo Groups or an interest in Metrobuses? Possibly even all. I think you may reside in Oz now? 

Don't know anymore than that though.

l.murphy123

I like route branding... although on the first day of the 10A in Lichfield they sent a 997 branded Platinum out as it was a Sunday and they often use them on Sundays which is fine, but not on the first day! NX have only just introduced several more Platinum routes so whether that means more to come or not who knows.
Chairman of GWCH Community group and frequent user of...
   NXWM | 31, 34, 59, 60, 79, 529, X51, X529
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71
   West Midland Metro | The Crescent

Quote from: l.murphy123 on February 25, 2019, 10:34:54 PM
I like route branding... although on the first day of the 10A in Lichfield they sent a 997 branded Platinum out as it was a Sunday and they often use them on Sundays which is fine, but not on the first day! NX have only just introduced several more Platinum routes so whether that means more to come or not who knows.
There will be more to come yes, its been said all future new buses for the foreseeable future will be platinum buses and 75 more are due this year.

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

The Fox 4846

I guess the question is when will new orders of platinum spec be in crimson, surely it makes sense to have a uniform fleet than a grey one.
33 Asda Queslett via Perry Barr, Kingstanding, Pheasey
7 Sutton Coldfield via Witton, Perry Common, Boldmere

l.murphy123

Quote from: 2206 on February 25, 2019, 11:37:56 PM
There will be more to come yes, its been said all future new buses for the foreseeable future will be platinum buses and 75 more are due this year.

Please don't private message me at the same time you comment, you always do it correct me if I'm wrong. But I look forward to seeing what will come next.. hopefully some more around Walsall.
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71

SK68MEV

Quote from: l.murphy123 on February 25, 2019, 11:58:07 PM
Please don't private message me at the same time you comment, you always do it correct me if I'm wrong. But I look forward to seeing what will come next.. hopefully some more around Walsall.
remember that if Walsall gets new buses all of it other routes will get upgraded because you can't have two types at the same garage
Local Routes
NXWM - 11A, 11C, 94, 95, 28, 14, X12, X13
Diamond - 25, 93, 94
The Green Bus - 843

mesub

Quote from: SK68MEV on February 26, 2019, 04:00:28 PM
remember that if Walsall gets new buses all of it other routes will get upgraded because you can't have two types at the same garage
What about Acocks Green? They have crimson MMCs and Platinum MMCs, if you mean they can't have the same type of Platinum MMCs then that's also false as BC have '66 '67 and '68 reg MMCs
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

Dylanbusboy45

Quote from: mesub on February 26, 2019, 04:36:58 PM
What about Acocks Green? They have crimson MMCs and Platinum MMCs, if you mean they can't have the same type of Platinum MMCs then that's also false as BC have '66 '67 and '68 reg MMCs

No it's that the original 58 Platinums are different to the rest by having ZF gearboxes and the seats are slightly different, as well as not having USBs. It was originally said that they were not going to be mixed though with all subsequent deliveries being Platinum, eventually they probably will

l.murphy123

Quote from: SK68MEV on February 26, 2019, 04:00:28 PM

934, 935, 936, 937, 997 need USB charging points they can be long routes for anyone going from start to finish.
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71

Trident 4194

Quote from: Dylanbusboy45 on February 26, 2019, 04:47:20 PM
No it's that the original 58 Platinums are different to the rest by having ZF gearboxes and the seats are slightly different, as well as not having USBs. It was originally said that they were not going to be mixed though with all subsequent deliveries being Platinum, eventually they probably will

PN have 6101-6110 and 69** series

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk