News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Screens on buses showing CCTV

Started by Bus1237, November 12, 2018, 06:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus1237

Sorry if this sounds like silly question, or has already been answered before, but why do the buses have screens which show CCTV footage of the passengers? They used to display the time but they stopped that. Would it not be more useful to show next stop information, or go back to showing the time? Considering it's behind the driver, and everyone can already see the bus, isn't it pointless? Surely they should make use of the equipment they already have, and it seems a waste for the screen to always be on yet showing something unnecessary.

Tony

Quote from: Bus1237 on November 12, 2018, 06:47:14 PM
Sorry if this sounds like silly question, or has already been answered before, but why do the buses have screens which show CCTV footage of the passengers? They used to display the time but they stopped that. Would it not be more useful to show next stop information, or go back to showing the time? Considering it's behind the driver, and everyone can already see the bus, isn't it pointless? Surely they should make use of the equipment they already have, and it seems a waste for the screen to always be on yet showing something unnecessary.

It shows people that the CCTV is real, has many cameras, and is of decent quality, show discourages crime.

I love Walsall buses

And a lot of school kids from primary (if the screen is working) think it's a tv and when it goes onto them they do silly faces and silly things

Stu

The CCTV screens supposedly act as a 'visual deterrent' to put-off people from carrying out anti-social behaviour or criminal activity, if they can see they are being recorded.

Me, I find it handy to see if there are any empty seats upstairs, especially when people are crowding downstairs.  ;)

As for the screens showing the time, I only ever recall seeing this on the Scania Omnilinks; there were two screens, the main one in the passenger saloon, and a small one above the driver in the cab. The time was meant to be shown on the small screen, but sometimes the display configurations would get mixed up and the time display would appear on the saloon screen. I guess they run off mini-PCs (hence why you sometimes see the dreaded Windows "Blue Screen Of Death"), so perhaps the video leads got connected the wrong way around.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Trident 4194

Quote from: Stu on November 12, 2018, 07:08:53 PM
The CCTV screens supposedly act as a 'visual deterrent' to put-off people from carrying out anti-social behaviour or criminal activity, if they can see they are being recorded.

Me, I find it handy to see if there are any empty seats upstairs, especially when people are crowding downstairs.  ;)

As for the screens showing the time, I only ever recall seeing this on the Scania Omnilinks; there were two screens, the main one in the passenger saloon, and a small one above the driver in the cab. The time was meant to be shown on the small screen, but sometimes the display configurations would get mixed up and the time display would appear on the saloon screen. I guess they run off mini-PCs (hence why you sometimes see the dreaded Windows "Blue Screen Of Death"), so perhaps the video leads got connected the wrong way around.

Didn't the 45** tridents have the big screen fitted at the front of the top deck which showed cctv footage? Don't believe they work and some got rid of now

DJ

Quote from: I love Walsall buses on November 12, 2018, 07:06:44 PM
And a lot of school kids from primary (if the screen is working) think it's a tv and when it goes onto them they do silly faces and silly things

I may have done that with my brother when we were a lot younger, back in the days when it was the 404H that went to Merry Hill.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

I love Walsall buses

Stu

Quote from: Trident 4194 on November 12, 2018, 08:05:15 PM

Didn't the 45** tridents have the big screen fitted at the front of the top deck which showed cctv footage? Don't believe they work and some got rid of now

The screens may not appear to be working, but the equipment is still recording as far as I am aware. That is what catches a lot of people out, they believe they're not being filmed when they are.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

There are very few NX vehicles not recording at any time, and those are just short term defects

Quote from: Trident 4194 on November 12, 2018, 08:05:15 PM

Did they not used to display adverts @Trident 4194 on those big screens.
I'm sure I recall the 46XX Gemini on the 11 in what probably would have been 2006/2007 having adverts on those screens.
They stopped working around the year 2007, some of the 46XX Gemini later had new screens showing CCTV footage fitted in 2015. Other Gemini at AG had it removed but never gained a new screen, most at AG longer have the big screens, but a few still do, 4510 is one.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

mesub

The thing is, some of the '67 platinums have had their upstairs screen smashed as there appears to be a crack on it. The downstairs one still works fine though.
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

Tony

Quote from: mesub on November 15, 2018, 04:09:42 PM
The thing is, some of the '67 platinums have had their upstairs screen smashed as there appears to be a crack on it. The downstairs one still works fine though.

So you reckon buses are in service with broken glass? Let me know which ones so I can report them.

WMT3000

Quote from: Tony on November 15, 2018, 04:47:38 PM
So you reckon buses are in service with broken glass? Let me know which ones so I can report them.
The ones i've seen on both ag and bc buses are "digital" cracks. I don't think thete's any danger of the screen, or part thereof, becoming dislodged.

Tony

Quote from: WMT3000 on November 15, 2018, 05:17:23 PM
The ones i've seen on both ag and bc buses are "digital" cracks. I don't think thete's any danger of the screen, or part thereof, becoming dislodged.

Most are scratches in the protective plastic coating that's put on to stop the glas getting damaged

mesub

Quote from: WMT3000 on November 15, 2018, 05:17:23 PM
Yeah it seems to be a digital crack, I'll let you know of the ones I see
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk