News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Demonstrator vehicles

Started by RW, January 10, 2018, 09:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Quote from: Wumpty on July 25, 2019, 10:06:21 AM
Not forgetting the huge investment in the hybrid technology too. NXWM and its predecessors have always, in my opinion, been at the forefront (not behind) of innovation in public transport, though they may not always shout it from the roof tops.

My earliest memories of this innovation came with Tracline 65 and guided buses, though I'm sure Tony could go back even further!

From observation of earlier rounds of Green Bus funding awards, Birmingham certainly didn't seem to get the same proportion of funding as say Manchester frequently received, whether that's based on who's submitted bids & what for I'm not certain.

Wumpty

Quote from: Winston on July 25, 2019, 10:59:40 AM
From observation of earlier rounds of Green Bus funding awards, Birmingham certainly didn't seem to get the same proportion of funding as say Manchester frequently received, whether that's based on who's submitted bids & what for I'm not certain.

I still think it's a case of "they who shout loudest" get the funding. Brum wasn't and hasn't been particularly vocal when it comes to its interest in new tech or greener energy for public transport. There's an excellent heritage of innovation in the West Midlands that would've flourished with more and sustained investment, if only they'd have crowed about it more.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Wumpty

winston

Quote from: Wumpty on July 25, 2019, 11:05:06 AM
I still think it's a case of "they who shout loudest" get the funding. Brum wasn't and hasn't been particularly vocal when it comes to its interest in new tech or greener energy for public transport. There's an excellent heritage of innovation in the West Midlands that would've flourished with more and sustained investment, if only they'd have crowed about it more.

Fair point, funding seems to have increased of late via the WM Bus Alliance / TfWM / Birmingham City Council / B'ham Clean Air Zone etc for Euro 6 upgrade kits & others below etc.

The Electrics appear to have gone back a year based on initial proposed delivery dates, the hydrogen fuel cell buses seem to have gone very quiet of late. The awards were made some 3 years ago (award announcement 25th July 2016)

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-awards-30-million-funding-for-cleaner-greener-bus-journeys

nathanielrwi

Where's 4797 going to be based?

gka472l

If we're talking demonstrator vehicles, how about this back in WMPTE days, an interesting one to me as I've lived in Merseyside all my life...anyway here's brand new Merseyside PTE Dennis Dominator/Alexander 0047 on Colmore Row in 1982 https://www.flickr.com/photos/57647425@N05/26639916020 going to somewhere called 'Bangham Pit'...I believe it was based at Harborne. Apologies if going a bit off topic from NXWM, but of interest historically with it's predecessor...

Tony

Westy

Quote from: markcf83 on July 24, 2019, 03:48:02 PM
You forgot the gas powered Volvos used at Walsall from the late 1990's....

Would gas ever be considered again?

I remember it hitting local media at the time, when they had to be modified, as cracks were found in the tanks ISTR.

As ISTR, originally there were gas refilling stations at a nearby Walsall Council depot & Wolves Bus Station, when they were first introduced onto the 529.

Was there a specific reason they were demoted onto the Walsall local services?

I guess the gas station at Wolves was removed for some reason, but did they become too unreliable to operate over a long distance from Walsall?

I know they were converted to diesel at some point, with one ending up in the training fleet.

winston

Quote from: Westy on July 27, 2019, 07:54:18 PM

I remember it hitting local media at the time, when they had to be modified, as cracks were found in the tanks ISTR.

As ISTR, originally there were gas refilling stations at a nearby Walsall Council depot & Wolves Bus Station, when they were first introduced onto the 529.

I guess the gas station at Wolves was removed for some reason, but did they become too unreliable to operate over a long distance from Walsall?

I know they were converted to diesel at some point, with one ending up in the training fleet.

This is a Bio gas demonstrator. Very different to previous gas buses. Bio gas doesn't need to be stored in high pressure tanks.

The B10L ultra's were CNG (compressed natural gas) with roof mounted pressurised gas tanks. The Hydrogen fuel cell buses will be the same as these, if they materialise.

Tony

Quote from: Westy on July 27, 2019, 07:54:18 PM

Gas filling station at Wolverhampton bus station? Don't  remember that.

As for operating long distances from Walsall they were regulars on the 311 to Stourbridge and were also used on the X51 when it started

RW

So is there any serious interest/intent in NXWM trialling the vehicle or is there just a degree of curiosity?

Westy

Quote from: Tony on July 27, 2019, 09:12:07 PM
Gas filling station at Wolverhampton bus station? Don't  remember that.

As for operating long distances from Walsall they were regulars on the 311 to Stourbridge and were also used on the X51 when it started

Maybe I was wrong about the gas at Wolves BS, but I was sure I read somewhere there was another gas facility used besides Walsall.

Must admit I don't remember them on the 311(but that would have been long before one of my jobs moved to Wednesbury/Great Bridge!) or the X51, but I do recall seeing one on the 329. I'm assuming you are saying they were still gassed when you mentioned the routes above, or had they been dieseled by then?

Tony

Quote from: Westy on July 27, 2019, 10:38:47 PM
Maybe I was wrong about the gas at Wolves BS, but I was sure I read somewhere there was another gas facility used besides Walsall.

Must admit I don't remember them on the 311(but that would have been long before one of my jobs moved to Wednesbury/Great Bridge!) or the X51, but I do recall seeing one on the 329. I'm assuming you are saying they were still gassed when you mentioned the routes above, or had they been dieseled by then?

Still gas powered then.

Wumpty

Quote from: Westy on July 27, 2019, 10:38:47 PM

They used a filling facility at British Gas Dudley - not ideal given the tight site access, but interesting to see all the same.

DJ

Quote from: Tony on July 28, 2019, 08:53:27 AM
Still gas powered then.

When did they get converted? I've seen a couple of photos of them on the 311, but without the 'Gas Power' vinyls.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk