News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

West Bromwich Garage

Started by Ash, March 17, 2012, 06:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I agree with you Nathan, would love to see the 966 SD especially with the new B7RLE'S and even perhaps increase the frequency, but sadly this route does not serve Birmingham City Centre so as pointed out by Stu doesn't require buses with low emissions so we are going to have to put up with the Presidents and the noisy gemini's.

MW

No offence, but are you a blithering idiot?

We've already established that Presidents cannot be used on Birmingham City Centre routes. Also, BY cannot have double deck vehicles as they wouldn't fit inside the depot.

On what planet would Presidents be on the 50, and send four Enviro400s to West Bromwich.

Quote from: NathanJC on April 08, 2012, 11:44:08 AM
the 529 is WA operated.

If the Plaxtons were to go anywere they should move them to YW to use on the 18/49/76/50.

I like the 966 with Plaxton Presidents although the 966 would look better with the new B7RLE'S or Ominilinks but saying that is there any part of that route between Erdington & Birmingham Airport where an ominilink wouldnt be able to get through. I only travel on the 966 between International Airport & Solihull

I Havent notcied the 71/72 interworking before but to be honest i dont pay much attention to that route in Solihull.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
West Bromwich would look good with Enviro400's using them on the 74/75/451  ;D
For example if YW got some Plaxton Presidents from WB they could swap say 4 Plaxtons for 4 Enviro400's that would be amazing if that actully happend.
I think Plaxtons Would look good at Perry Barr for the 934/A and the Sutton Lines routes like before. But if PB got any plaxtons that they wont but if they did they would be placed upon the Sutton Line Routes (902/904/905/914/915/115) like in the past

if the garages were to get Plaxtons from BC/AG this is how I think they would be used;
AG - Have them already on the 31/A and 37 (PEAK TIMES)
BC - used solo on the 61/63
BY - The 55 at peak times as that gets overcrouded
PB - Sutton Lines (They wont get them neither)
PE - Wouldnt get that type of bus I wouldnt imagine
WA - 51/935 (They probally wont be going there)
WN - I dont think they would get any to be fair but if they did then the 126
WB - 451/74/75 sometimes the 82/87
YW - 2/3/18/49/49A/76 & rare working on the 50

Not that theres being any talk about Plaxtons going to any other garages Im just talking out loud

KayP

I can't see this happening myself, Enviros at WB would get wrecked by hoodlums that ride on Dudley Road and Soho Road routes, even though it would be good to see - even though they wouldn't appear on the 89. But I can't see YW using presidents on the 50, it's their showcase route, and as far as I know requires new buses every few years.

Quote from: NathanJC on April 08, 2012, 11:44:08 AM
the 529 is WA operated.

If the Plaxtons were to go anywere they should move them to YW to use on the 18/49/76/50.

I like the 966 with Plaxton Presidents although the 966 would look better with the new B7RLE'S or Ominilinks but saying that is there any part of that route between Erdington & Birmingham Airport where an ominilink wouldnt be able to get through. I only travel on the 966 between International Airport & Solihull

I Havent notcied the 71/72 interworking before but to be honest i dont pay much attention to that route in Solihull.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
West Bromwich would look good with Enviro400's using them on the 74/75/451  ;D
For example if YW got some Plaxton Presidents from WB they could swap say 4 Plaxtons for 4 Enviro400's that would be amazing if that actully happend.
I think Plaxtons Would look good at Perry Barr for the 934/A and the Sutton Lines routes like before. But if PB got any plaxtons that they wont but if they did they would be placed upon the Sutton Line Routes (902/904/905/914/915/115) like in the past

if the garages were to get Plaxtons from BC/AG this is how I think they would be used;
AG - Have them already on the 31/A and 37 (PEAK TIMES)
BC - used solo on the 61/63
BY - The 55 at peak times as that gets overcrouded
PB - Sutton Lines (They wont get them neither)
PE - Wouldnt get that type of bus I wouldnt imagine
WA - 51/935 (They probally wont be going there)
WN - I dont think they would get any to be fair but if they did then the 126
WB - 451/74/75 sometimes the 82/87
YW - 2/3/18/49/49A/76 & rare working on the 50

Not that theres being any talk about Plaxtons going to any other garages Im just talking out loud

Ashley

A personal suggestion. Decrease the frequency of route 404, extend it to Merry Hill Centre 7 days a week and use Presidents that can't be used on Brimingham routes, this releases a large number of Scanias that can replace more WB Mercs or something.
Presidents can also go on the 451. As for the AG ones, they could be used on the Outer Cricle until new double deckers replace them, if that happens. Just an idea

Ash

The 404 is operated by Walsall not West Brom so theres the first problem, the 404 at the moment also has lots of delays due to the island on all saints way so if the frequency was to be reduced then they you would get 3/4 stuck together with a 30/40 min gap and also they have to compete with diamond and there 6 minute frequency. the 404 is also a showcase route so needs newer buses than V/W reg presidents but double deckers on occasions would b good tho.

Ossie

Quote from: Ashley on April 09, 2012, 12:16:59 AM
A personal suggestion. Decrease the frequency of route 404, extend it to Merry Hill Centre 7 days a week and use Presidents that can't be used on Brimingham routes, this releases a large number of Scanias that can replace more WB Mercs or something.

Certainly agree with decreasing the frequency of the 404, the competition with Diamond is leading to a massive overkill. I've found I've been the sole passenger on the bus more than once (both weekday and Saturday travel).

The other problem with the route is the passage through Caldmore, which is fraught with parking problems.  A good case for midis on this route if ever there was one!

Just my view ...

Ash

Quote from: Ossie on April 09, 2012, 12:07:28 PM

Certainly agree with decreasing the frequency of the 404, the competition with Diamond is leading to a massive overkill. I've found I've been the sole passenger on the bus more than once (both weekday and Saturday travel).

The other problem with the route is the passage through Caldmore, which is fraught with parking problems.  A good case for midis on this route if ever there was one!

Just my view ...

The midi's would not be suitable for the route as often the scania's get really full at times with people standing especially between Walsall and West Brom but the overcrowding is more due to the 3-4 turning up in one go due to the delays all routes are experiencing through all saints way. Caldmore was even worse before they made the buses entering Walsall use the Wednesbury Road as often 2 buses apporaching each other would get stuck. The frequncy with diamond and NXWM is leading to a bus every 3 minutes and has been like this for some time so there must be making money for operating at this frequency as both companies buses get quite busy at times. Why in the evenings would the 404 only go to Oldbury when it always goes to Blackheath but i do agree with the 404H being extended to Merry Hill weekdays as it would mean one extra bus to be used and it would give a quicker route to Merry Hill from West Brom aswell as giving people of Walsall a direct service Merry Hill.

D10

The trouble is that WB garage is pretty much full to capacity and can't fit the 20 buses needed for the 404 in there.

winston

Do WB still use the overflow bus park at the end of Oak Road/Izons Road, former Stevensons depot?

Quote from: D10 on April 09, 2012, 03:47:53 PM
The trouble is that WB garage is pretty much full to capacity and can't fit the 20 buses needed for the 404 in there.

winston

Ah yes, hadn't considered the large portion of B6LE's that have been replaced by full size Mercs cascaded by further Gemini. I have WB's current fleet as 167 buses, so it hasn't shrunk any further since the transfer of 20 Omnilinks to WA along with the 404

With all the re-development work going on around WB garage, it wouldn't surprise me in the future if NXWM received a compulsory purchase order to re-develop the land the garage is on for residential use

Quote from: thetruth on April 09, 2012, 04:28:00 PM
Quote from: winston on April 09, 2012, 04:23:35 PM
Do WB still use the overflow bus park at the end of Oak Road/Izons Road, former Stevensons depot?

Quote from: D10 on April 09, 2012, 03:47:53 PM

Yes Winston.

The limiting factor is not the number of vehicles but the length.

For instance, they had 187 buses around April 2006 but a lot more of these were B6LEs.

There is also the problem with traffic as the depot is in residental area, plus the fact that a new retirement home is nearing completion opposite the depot. More buses = more noise = complaints.

Ash

I heard before that the bus garage was going to be moved to somewhere else in West Brom but i guess this was just a rumour but only a few years ago WB used to operate the 79,120,140,238 and 404 aswell as the 16 for a short period so i guess there was more problems in terms of space then than there is now.

D10

I know one of the old General Managesr of WB garage and he did tell me that at least 10 years ago Sandwell Council wanted them out, but at the council couldn't find a replacement site, nothing happened.

KayP

They could make the 404 NXWM & Diamond every 10 minutes during the day, and just co-ordinate them to run every 5 minutes, problem solved, then maybe there could be an every 20 minute frequency to Merry Hill on the 404H, just a though  ;D

Just my view ...

Ash

Quote from: KayP on April 10, 2012, 12:36:59 AM
They could make the 404 NXWM & Diamond every 10 minutes during the day, and just co-ordinate them to run every 5 minutes, problem solved, then maybe there could be an every 20 minute frequency to Merry Hill on the 404H, just a though  ;D

Just my view ...

If this was to ever happen then NXWM would need to use double deckers and diamond would need to use at least there royale centro's to cope with the capacity issues

Ashley

I forgot to say when writing the 404 idea to transfer the route back to WB. I didn't realise that it was a showcase route, but as with the Outer Cricle, using Presidents could be a short term solution and a combined NXWM and Diamond frequency which regularly serves Merry Hill Centre could be achieveable

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk