News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

West Bromwich Garage

Started by Ash, March 17, 2012, 06:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterPlan

Quote from: Westy on September 19, 2020, 02:36:37 PM
How many routes are really for 'operational conveience' really, because surely most Weoley Castle people will tend to go to Brum, rather than West Brom?

I liken it to when they shut both the Dudley & Harts Hill garages & they extended a few routes, like the Walsall to Dudley routes extended to Stourbridge, or operated placing journeys for the garages taking over, for example the old 558 had some journeys that went onto certain Dudley routes.

Oh, don't be silly. Why would you want a direct bus to the City Centre when you can go to Maypole, Yardley Wood, West Bromwich etc...
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

bususer28

Quote from: Westy on September 19, 2020, 02:36:37 PM
How many routes are really for 'operational conveience' really, because surely most Weoley Castle people will tend to go to Brum, rather than West Brom?

The idea is to link Northfield and Weoley Castle and it's convenient to extend a route rather than create a new one. You'll be surprised how busy the corridor is- no point in making judgements if you don't know how the route is used.

Westy

Quote from: bususer28 on September 19, 2020, 04:18:32 PM
The idea is to link Northfield and Weoley Castle and it's convenient to extend a route rather than create a new one. You'll be surprised how busy the corridor is- no point in making judgements if you don't know how the route is used.

That's why I said 'operational conveinance' !

bususer28

Quote from: Westy on September 19, 2020, 04:55:01 PM
That's why I said 'operational conveinance' !
I guess but lots of people prefer to go to Northfield from Weoley Castle as its much closer.

Stu

For a service like the 48, its never been about passengers travelling between the 'endpoints', but those travelling between the various places en-route.

I seriously doubt that - with the exception of some more 'hardcore' bus enthusiasts - anyone regularly travels from West Bromwich to Northfield (and vice-versa).

There are probably passengers who use the 48 between West Bromwich and Bearwood/Harborne, who have never even been to places like Northfield, Hawkesley and West Heath, and likewise there are probably people in Cotteridge and West Heath who have no interest in travelling to Londonderry or West Bromwich.

It may be an even longer route from 1st November, but as long as it gets people to where they ultimately want/need to travel to, so be it.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Westy

Quote from: Stu on September 19, 2020, 08:28:24 PM
For a service like the 48, its never been about passengers travelling between the 'endpoints', but those travelling between the various places en-route.

I seriously doubt that - with the exception of some more 'hardcore' bus enthusiasts - anyone regularly travels from West Bromwich to Northfield (and vice-versa).

There are probably passengers who use the 48 between West Bromwich and Bearwood/Harborne, who have never even been to places like Northfield, Hawkesley and West Heath, and likewise there are probably people in Cotteridge and West Heath who have no interest in travelling to Londonderry or West Bromwich.

It may be an even longer route from 1st November, but as long as it gets people to where they ultimately want/need to travel to, so be it.

I suppose if you live in West Brom & work in Northfield, but want to avoid any issues in the City Centre, then it's a possible useful alternative, but is it quicker going via City?

Quote from: Westy on September 19, 2020, 11:02:14 PM
I suppose if you live in West Brom & work in Northfield, but want to avoid any issues in the City Centre, then it's a possible useful alternative, but is it quicker going via City?
Google Maps seems to suggest the X20 or 61/63 and change for the 48 at Selly Oak or University is quickest by bus and I assume going into the City Centre and getting the Tram would also be quicker.

As @Stu has already explained thats not the purpose of this route, not everyone wants to travel end to end.
Most people on most routes only use the service over sections of the route.

Same can probably be said for other routes most people on the 11 in Ward End and Stechford probably have never heard of/been to Harborne or Bearwood.
X12 and 5 are other examples, nobody would take them City Centre to Solihull, over the faster and direct X2. X12/5 exist to serve the places in between.

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Although it's not been confirmed yet it was mentioned that they maybe rerouting the 48 in hawkesley to follow the current 35 and the 35 to be rerouted to the current 48.

sonic84

It will be good to see the Swarthmore Road section of the route see a frequency increased.

Having lived along there it was well used when the 29 and the 48 used to serve it.  It saw a big reduction when the 39A was rerouted along there to replace the 48.

bususer28

Quote from: WB Driver on September 20, 2020, 08:32:58 AM
Although it's not been confirmed yet it was mentioned that they maybe rerouting the 48 in hawkesley to follow the current 35 and the 35 to be rerouted to the current 48.
I guess if every second 35 extended beyond Hawkesley to follow the 48 it might work but the 35 is plagued with problems at peak times and they use different garages.

BBS

Quote from: bususer28 on September 20, 2020, 05:01:43 PM
I guess if every second 35 extended beyond Hawkesley to follow the 48 it might work but the 35 is plagued with problems at peak times and they use different garages.
35 is chaos at Peak times.Too many people especially kids.
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

Quote from: bususer28 on September 20, 2020, 05:01:43 PM
Think you've misread my comment as I said there thinking of swapping the routes they take in the Hawkesley estate so the 35 would go straight up Shannon road to its Hawkesley terminus with the 48 doing what the 35 currently does then carrying on to Northfield.

monkeyjoe

Quote from: WB Driver on September 20, 2020, 10:23:18 PM
Think you've misread my comment as I said there thinking of swapping the routes they take in the Hawkesley estate so the 35 would go straight up Shannon road to its Hawkesley terminus with the 48 doing what the 35 currently does then carrying on to Northfield.

I was wondering that's how I read it too, is this meant to make the 35 quicker and help reliability is that the rationale?

bususer28

Quote from: WB Driver on September 20, 2020, 10:23:18 PM
Oh right, my bad! That actually sounds like a really good idea.

BBS

Been listening to this rumour for a while now. "4526-4534 to West Bromwich."Will this happen eventually?
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk