News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

West Midlands Railway

Started by Stu, December 09, 2017, 12:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob H

60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

Tony

Quote from: Rob2832 on April 30, 2018, 08:25:14 PM
153 :) 153365 did the honours today.

It is a 153 until December when it is extended to Nuneaton, then it will be booked for 2 diagrams using two 172/0 (ex TfL)

Kevin

Quote from: Tony on May 01, 2018, 10:22:20 AM
It is a 153 until December when it is extended to Nuneaton, then it will be booked for 2 diagrams using two 172/0 (ex TfL)

So that bay platform they're building at Cov specifically for the Nuneaton train is gonna be redundant then?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Bob

Has the 153 refresh been abandoned now? The one on 15.12 to Cannock is an untreated one, interior is a lovely brown shade, especially the ceilings, filth by Dulux i think!

BK63 YWP

The LO 172s will probably see the last of the 153s and 150s. So no point refurbing  them now. Can the 172s work with the 170s?
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Tony

Quote from: SL 16 YPN on May 01, 2018, 03:20:39 PM
Can the 172s work with the 170s?

WMR 150; 153; 170 & 172 are all compatible

Bob

Id imagine the chase line will struggle with the inadequate 2 car 170s till the end. 150s are far superior in so many ways better acceleration on stopping journeys despite a lower top speed, fresh air, more seats...stupidest thing ever the day chase lime got lumbered with 170s

Tony

Quote from: Bob on May 01, 2018, 04:43:24 PM
Id imagine the chase line will struggle with the inadequate 2 car 170s till the end. 150s are far superior in so many ways better acceleration on stopping journeys despite a lower top speed, fresh air, more seats...stupidest thing ever the day chase lime got lumbered with 170s

Perhaps you ought to check the reliability figures of the two classes before making statements like that or do you prefer the train not turning up more often

Bob

Ive lost count of late or cancelled or "due to a train fault" on 170s so doubt it would make much difference. 150s were better suited to the work though. I dont believe 170s were even designed for routes like the chase line? Werent they intended for longer distance services but slated for noise /comfort lack of carriage end doors?

Trident 4194

Quote from: Bob on May 01, 2018, 06:33:51 PM
Ive lost count of late or cancelled or "due to a train fault" on 170s so doubt it would make much difference. 150s were better suited to the work though. I dont believe 170s were even designed for routes like the chase line? Werent they intended for longer distance services but slated for noise /comfort lack of carriage end doors?

I believe the 170s were intended to for long distances- certainly quite comfortable trains when there not packed. Have to say I prefer cross countries 170s though to London midlands

uniquicity

I've been commuting from Worcester to Birmingham on 170s for the past 5 months.

I've had 2 short forms in that time due to train faults.

I can only echo Tony's point about their reliability.

Tony

Quote from: Bob on May 01, 2018, 06:33:51 PM

They are extremely rare despite your moaning as proved by the figures made public every year in the 'Golden Spanner' awards in Modern Railways which is done  by Roger Ford a very experienced engineer and journalist and completely independent of any railway company (although he does have a massive bias for his former employer English Electric)

mikestone

Quote from: Kevin on May 01, 2018, 01:16:44 PM
So that bay platform they're building at Cov specifically for the Nuneaton train is gonna be redundant then?
Pe

Past statements have been adamant that there is no way the two services can be combined.

Bob

Quote from: Tony on May 01, 2018, 07:36:07 PM
They are extremely rare despite your moaning as proved by the figures made public every year in the 'Golden Spanner' awards in Modern Railways which is done  by Roger Ford a very experienced engineer and journalist and completely independent of any railway company (although he does have a massive bias for his former employer English Electric)

On the 6.10am compared to a 150 theyre still woefully inadequate

BK63 YWP

Well unfortunately @Bob you are stuck with the 170s (which in my opinion are very reliable!) until the EMUs start.

@Tony can class 172s be used on any other line apart from the snow hill lines ?
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk