News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Bus stop rationalisation (closure) pilot South Birmingham

Started by Busmapper, September 25, 2017, 06:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

I think the first bus stop on Newton Road (Dartmouth Golf Club) heading towards Hamstead from All Saints Way for the 5/16W/46 is a waste of time. I've never seen anyone get off or get on there and it very rarely has people standing there. It's pretty much in the middle of nowhere!

Kevin

Quote from: Jack on October 16, 2017, 08:54:47 PM
I think the first bus Stop on Newton Road heading towards Hamstead from All Saints Way for the 5/16W/46 is a waste of time. I've never seen anyone get off or get on there and it very rarely has people standing there.

Bear in mind this trial is just the 4 routes, if we start naming individual stops all over the county we'd be here all year
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Jack

Quote from: Kevin on October 16, 2017, 08:57:46 PM
Bear in mind this trial is just the 4 routes, if we start naming individual stops all over the county we'd be here all year
On Saturday I went on the 45 and 63 to see the 'Out of Use' stops. Was quite shocked by most of them. Passengers particularly on the 63 was not pleased that the bus was not stopping at that certain stop anymore. TBH I wouldn't really be please either, don't really think people should have to walk to next nearest bus stop, especially elderly and people with disabilities.

Quote from: Jack on October 16, 2017, 09:01:10 PM
On Saturday I went on the 45 and 63 to see the 'Out of Use' stops. Was quite shocked by most of them. Passengers particularly on the 63 was not pleased that the bus was not stopping at that certain stop anymore. TBH I wouldn't really be please either, don't really think people should have to walk to next nearest bus stop, especially elderly and people with disabilities.
Personally I agree with removing stops on routes were are very close together, just after a junction, not used very often, etc.
If people are unable to access there nearest stop is the ring and ride service available to them?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Jack

Quote from: 2206 on October 16, 2017, 09:06:30 PM
Personally I agree with removing stops on routes were are very close together, just after a junction, not used very often, etc.
If people are unable to access there nearest stop isn't the ring and ride service available to them?
Bus Stops that have nobody use them much then yes, remove them. But Bus Stops that have a shelter always would tell me 'it's well used to have a shelter' whereas other quieter bus stops (Say the Business Estates on the AG 5) have just a pole bus stop. So it gives you an idea on what stops are well used and stops that aren't so well used.

Quote from: Jack on October 16, 2017, 09:09:37 PM
Bus Stops that have nobody use them much then yes, remove them. But Bus Stops that have a shelter always would tell me 'it's well used to have a shelter' whereas other quieter bus stops (Say the Business Estates on the AG 5) have just a pole bus stop. So it gives you an idea on what stops are well used and stops that aren't so well used.
I've never seen anyone ever board or leave the bus at the Traffalgar Road stop on the 11A (that's the pole stop just before Erdington Six Ways on the 11A), as it is right next to the Jaffray Crescent stop.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Tony

Quote from: Jack on October 16, 2017, 09:09:37 PM

Not really,  I can show you a shelter that doesn't even have any services stop there, and there are a few one stop before a terminus

Jack

Quote from: Tony on October 16, 2017, 09:19:23 PM
Not really,  I can show you a shelter that doesn't even have any services stop there, and there are a few one stop before a terminus
So it's an 'Out of Use' shelter and nothing serves it anymore? Like the ones on Fazeley Street?

Quote from: Jack on October 16, 2017, 09:22:38 PM
So it's an 'Out of Use' shelter and nothing serves it anymore? Like the ones on Fazeley Street?
Yes it'd be out of use, Fox Hollies Road, Hall Green Church, has a shelter though it's out of use, though nothing stops there, except the 801/2 Garage shuttle according to google maps. There're out of use shelters on Cattel Road by BY Garage as well.
There's one at Stechford, Five Ways, though it's only served by the quiet tendered 53 and I can't remember seeing someone wait there for a long time, Stockfield Road, Kilmorie Road on the 36 has one as well.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Tony

Quote from: Jack on October 16, 2017, 09:22:38 PM
Yes, but by your logic must be a well used stop.

There's a shelter on Green Lane, Walsall outbound only served by the Cannock X51s. I would like to bet it hasn't had a passenger wait in input for over a year

Jack

Quote from: Tony on October 16, 2017, 09:32:49 PM

There's a shelter on Green Lane, Walsall outbound only served by the Cannock X51s. I would like to bet it hasn't had a passenger wait in input for over a year
There was a shelter at the Beeches Road, Foden Road Stop. It was one of these ones with 2 seats in. It never had many people use it, just about one or two at a time, then it got replaced for a pole stop sometime in 2015. Then you've got more busy stops with shelters, like the Beggars Bush Stop for the 5/77/907. But there's shelters on Wallows Lane in Walsall on the 637, which barely picks ups anything, but I presume a more busy service would of went down there years ago but still remain.

Westy

Quote from: Tony on October 16, 2017, 09:32:49 PM

Catching the 2nd Cannock X51 on a morning from my stop(Nursery Road) southbound, Green Lane/Leamore Lane is used most mornings, Newfield Close less so, then no other pick ups until Hospital Street(rarely as a 70 is timed around the same time!), then set down at the bottom of Green Lane, then round to the bus station.

Would there be any mileage in diverting the X51's via Beechdale, by turning at KFC & continuing direct via Stephenson Avenue back onto Green Lane, the same route as the diversion recently?

MW

Quote from: 2206 on October 16, 2017, 09:19:07 PM
I've never seen anyone ever board or leave the bus at the Traffalgar Road stop on the 11A (that's the pole stop just before Erdington Six Ways on the 11A), as it is right next to the Jaffray Crescent stop.

I've stopped at that stop before. Probably about 2 times, compared to the 100s of loops I did.

Useless stop though, I agree.

Lukeee

Quote from: 2206 on October 16, 2017, 09:19:07 PM

I disembarked there once years ago from a Birmingham Motor Traction 11E to get on the NX 11A behind, other than that I agree with you.

Whilst on the subject of out of use bus shelters I believe there is still one by hockley circus, where the inner circle used to go by the new bingley hall (former hockley garage)

CL

Quote from: Lukeee on October 17, 2017, 12:25:38 AM

Whilst on the subject of out of use bus shelters I believe there is still one by hockley circus, where the inner circle used to go by the new bingley hall (former hockley garage)
Two, in fact. Both directions.

There used to be two stops on Heaton Street going both directions; two poles and two shelters. The withdrawal of those stops is a little inconvenient, I must say. At the expense of me moaning, I'm a little irked that, what was once, a one minute walk has become six. ::)

Back to present day, the stops which have (somewhat) affected me are those on Icknield Street, near the Tesco. And I use it just for that; whenever I do use it that is! I normally walk, or for heavier shopping trips, have someone drive me. Must admit, those Icknield Street stops are a little awkward anyway - the 8C has to cross two lanes to be able to make the turn onto Warstone Lane.

Point being: I'm sure people will adjust to these changes, despite being temporary anyway. At most, the removal of these stops would mean I'd have to spare anywhere between a few seconds and (usually) no more than five minutes. Not really the end of the world for me, but just something else to account for when making plans (timings/adjusting to changes). I'll be glad when the trials finish. :P
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk