News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

South Birmingham Consultation 2017

Started by Stu, July 25, 2017, 08:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterPlan

I thought I'd try an X22 into town today, which was weird being back on the Quinton Road again (not as weird as that turn from the Quinton Road stop to the Metchley Lane one though). But in all honesty if the X22 is going to be pick up and drop off where it's supposed to be non-stop I might as well have just got the X21. Is it none stop or not?
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

MasterPlan

Notice the stops on Wheeleys Road/Arthur Road are now including the X20/X22, apart from Arthur Road, Carpenter Road for some reason inbound which still says not in use. Is the end of the non stop services then? If so, that hasn't lasted very long.

Mike K

Some of the benefits of having just 2 routes to Harborne were apparent this evening with a lot of consecutive buses adjusted - short workings on the 24 to Quinton Tesco and Harborne, followed by 6850 on the 23 which was adjusted part way through its journey to a short to Woodgate (36 minutes late when I got off).

I guess that wouldn't have been possible with 4 less frequent routes.

MasterPlan

Quote from: Mike K on September 12, 2018, 07:22:53 PM
Some of the benefits of having just 2 routes to Harborne were apparent this evening with a lot of consecutive buses adjusted - short workings on the 24 to Quinton Tesco and Harborne, followed by 6850 on the 23 which was adjusted part way through its journey to a short to Woodgate (36 minutes late when I got off).

I guess that wouldn't have been possible with 4 less frequent routes.

To be fair I can't remember many occasions where you'd see two of the same route adjusted together like that. Also every other 29 was an E anyway, so even when they were bunched one would stop short.

Mike K

Quote from: MasterPlan on September 12, 2018, 07:50:41 PM
To be fair I can't remember many occasions where you'd see two of the same route adjusted together like that. Also every other 29 was an E anyway, so even when they were bunched one would stop short.

I suppose it wouldn't have been possible before with buses going to multiple destinations, as areas such as Kitwell, Weoley Castle etc could be without a bus for over 30 mins if vehicles were turned early. With everything going to the same couple of destinations, and buses running very late and in bunches, they can adjust some without adversely impacting the outlying areas.

The Harborne corridor is notoriously unreliable, at least now they have a better chance of managing late running. One benefit of a simplified corridor that I hadn't fully appreciated previously.

MasterPlan

Looks like the bus gate on George Road is finished now, hopefully a stop will be added on that road for passengers going to Five Ways.

Mike K

First day of the new Broad St diversions today, and based on this morning's experience at least, the new anti-clockwise loop the 23/24 are taking around the city seems much better than the old clockwise one.

However, as regards the new Square Peg terminus, as is usually the case, four 23s / 24s arrived together this morning, and the Sutton routes were struggling to get past and get into their stop.

Looking forward to being able to catch just one bus home in the evening again.

Kevin

Quote from: Mike K on September 21, 2018, 10:14:48 AM
However, as regards the new Square Peg terminus, as is usually the case, four 23s / 24s arrived together this morning, and the Sutton routes were struggling to get past and get into their stop.

Looking forward to the chaos on Bull Street and Corporation Street. See the 23/24 just stopping or actually waiting time at the Square Peg?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

CL

Quote from: Kevin on September 21, 2018, 11:08:28 AM
Looking forward to the chaos on Bull Street and Corporation Street. See the 23/24 just stopping or actually waiting time at the Square Peg?
Walked past a 24 at the Square Peg this morning. Electronic countdown said it would be there for another 7 minutes before it was due out.
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

John

I did notice this morning they were using Bull St. I just managed to get my X14 into the stop at the Square Peg in front of 2 Harborne buses but the X4 behind had to stop in the road. Yes I imagine the chaos there when both set of routes are running late 😂

Mike K

Quote from: Kevin on September 21, 2018, 11:08:28 AM

In the unlikely event they're on time, they are scheduled to layover there for 4 mins each, the same as they were at the old Colmore Circus terminus. I'm assuming that this will also be the driver changeover stop, so there will likely be several parked up for some time at any one time in the evening rush hour if Colmore Circus is anything to go by.

Should be interesting.

EDIT: 4 Harborne buses parked at the Square Peg at this very moment, 3 with hazard lights on, with an Arriva 110 unable to squeeze past.

MasterPlan

I saw a few 23/24s this morning which looked strange on Corporation St, at least they've made their way back onto Colemore Row again after all this time  ;)

Kevin

Quote from: Mike K on September 21, 2018, 12:59:37 PM
In the unlikely event they're on time, they are scheduled to layover there for 4 mins each, the same as they were at the old Colmore Circus terminus. I'm assuming that this will also be the driver changeover stop, so there will likely be several parked up for some time at any one time in the evening rush hour if Colmore Circus is anything to go by.

Should be interesting.

EDIT: 4 Harborne buses parked at the Square Peg at this very moment, 3 with hazard lights on, with an Arriva 110 unable to squeeze past.

Genius...
Le sigh, how long is this for again?

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Kevin

Quote from: MasterPlan on September 21, 2018, 07:26:09 AM
Looks like the bus gate on George Road is finished now, hopefully a stop will be added on that road for passengers going to Five Ways.

Now in use, albeit with temporary lights at the moment, and a temporary stop on George Road
X20/21/22 all using it and all stopping everywhere along the route through The Vale and down Bath Row as well

Edit.
Sorry, they miss a stop on Bath Row. That makes them "express"...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk