News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

South Birmingham Consultation 2017

Started by Stu, July 25, 2017, 08:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V89MOA

West Midlands railway must be loving this!
The point about the X21 is spot on too, I will be surprised if the routes in their current form last as long as the X61 did.

Quote from: Brummie45 on September 06, 2018, 04:08:35 PM
The 55/94 services were almost non existent yesterday evening during the rush hour.
I didn't use them yesterday, but I read @Steveminor 's post on the NX facebook page replying to somebody telling them there was a "Broken down lorry accident & an abandoned car on the ring road".

https://www.facebook.com/nxwestmidlands/posts/2086553631389660?__xts__
  • =68.ARCygKRQm_Oe0Ehtxbck_YE9TYEjrp-EAQopNBK9aygLMt2wXSabM5t8o8C7SrAFQD6WA4dpL5tUJsGHmVI4_YAKSIaJZYHRENqprHi_0ZH1DaQsSC_qV_YBRWxwHgOECw-Hh9PDy8e786utwxc-npUUYwDoFqln_GCvREw58vDbCqP9iCjlfA&__tn__=-R

But in normal conditions, its never been that bad when I've used it.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Sh4318

Quote from: V89MOA on September 06, 2018, 07:36:27 PM
West Midlands railway must be loving this!
The point about the X21 is spot on too, I will be surprised if the routes in their current form last as long as the X61 did.

Personally, I can't see why anyone would use anything other than the train to commute from City Centre to Uni - even before these changes were implemented
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Kevin

Quote from: Sh4318 on September 07, 2018, 10:08:08 AM
Personally, I can't see why anyone would use anything other than the train to commute from City Centre to Uni - even before these changes were implemented

I used to catch the bus over the train. Great Barr to University was far better on frequent buses (X51, 61/2/3) than an every half hour train from Hamstead
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

V89MOA

Perhaps to save money? If students wanted to travel around Birmingham for social reasons, or travel across the city in general, getting an NX pass and paying again for the train isn't attractive. Also before the changes there was a door to door link with the QE, now you may as well get the train.

:D

I also used to catch the bus over the train between the city centre and uni mainly because it took a lot of time to walk from one part of the city centre to a platform at New St and then another long walk from uni station to a building where my lectures were meant taking a bus was quicker instead.

From what I hear, taking a train to uni station during a rush hour is terribly uncomfortable, so I'm glad I didn't take the train.

Sh4318

Quote from: Kevin on September 07, 2018, 10:44:27 AM
I used to catch the bus over the train. Great Barr to University was far better on frequent buses (X51, 61/2/3) than an every half hour train from Hamstead

I'm referring to between the City Centre & Uni, trains every 10 mins, less than a 10 min journey.

If I was travelling from where I'd live, it would be a 30 minutes-ish journey on the 48

Quote from: V89MOA on September 07, 2018, 10:44:59 AM
Perhaps to save money? If students wanted to travel around Birmingham for social reasons, or travel across the city in general, getting an NX pass and paying again for the train isn't attractive. Also before the changes there was a door to door link with the QE, now you may as well get the train.

£4.50 daysaver vs £2.70 return.

Just to be clear I'm referring from Birmingham City Centre to Birmingham Uni

Quote from: :D on September 07, 2018, 11:51:34 AM
I also used to catch the bus over the train between the city centre and uni mainly because it took a lot of time to walk from one part of the city centre to a platform at New St and then another long walk from uni station to a building where my lectures were meant taking a bus was quicker instead.

From what I hear, taking a train to uni station during a rush hour is terribly uncomfortable, so I'm glad I didn't take the train.

I'd rather stand for 7 minutes (max) on the train, than be stuck in traffic at Five Ways on a bus, but like I said, that's my personal point of view

V89MOA

Quote from: Sh4318 on September 07, 2018, 01:25:50 PM

Completely missing my point then...
You said you can't see why anyone would use anything other than the train to commute between the two. I've given you a perfectly good reason, lots of students have cheap NX travelcards so as they can travel anywhere they need to at any time, they are very unlikely to want to pay again for the train when their travelcards/passes get them to Birmingham by bus at no extra cost.

Sh4318

Quote from: V89MOA on September 07, 2018, 01:39:07 PM
Completely missing my point then...
You said you can't see why anyone would use anything other than the train to commute between the two. I've given you a perfectly good reason, lots of students have cheap NX travelcards so as they can travel anywhere they need to at any time, they are very unlikely to want to pay again for the train when their travelcards/passes get them to Birmingham by bus at no extra cost.

You do realise you can do the same with an n-train pass right? I'm not sure what point I've missed

V89MOA

Quote from: Sh4318 on September 07, 2018, 02:09:29 PM
You do realise you can do the same with an n-train pass right? I'm not sure what point I've missed
N train pass going to get you to Harborne or Moseley?

Sh4318

Quote from: V89MOA on September 07, 2018, 02:12:19 PM
N train pass going to get you to Harborne or Moseley?

I'm talking about travel exclusively between Birmingham City Centre & Birmingham Uni, as I've iterated more than once. I believe you are the one who is missing the point

V89MOA

Quote from: Sh4318 on September 07, 2018, 02:14:14 PM
I'm talking about travel exclusively between Birmingham City Centre & Birmingham Uni, as I've iterated more than once. I believe you are the one who is missing the point
And as I have pointed out lots of students have a cheap NX pass already, so that they have full travel flexibility at all times, not just for the Birmingham commute... I am not the one missing any points.

Kevin

Quote from: Sh4318 on September 07, 2018, 01:25:50 PM
I'm referring to between the City Centre & Uni, trains every 10 mins, less than a 10 min journey.

If I was travelling from where I'd live, it would be a 30 minutes-ish journey on the 48

I'd rather stand for 7 minutes (max) on the train, than be stuck in traffic at Five Ways on a bus, but like I said, that's my personal point of view

Quote from: Sh4318 on September 07, 2018, 02:14:14 PM

But that's the thing, there isn't going to be many people that do that single journey, they'd be coming from elsewhere on the bus and have a bus ticket or on the train and have a through train ticket
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Sh4318

Quote from: V89MOA on September 07, 2018, 02:15:33 PM
And as I have pointed out lots of students have a cheap NX pass already, so that they have full travel flexibility at all times, not just for the Birmingham commute... I am not the one missing any points.

Where in my original point did I make reference to travel anywhere apart from Birmingham City Centre & University? On a wider scale, there are other alternatives. But given the option, the train usually wins out

Quote from: Kevin on September 07, 2018, 02:15:59 PM
But that's the thing, there isn't going to be many people that do that single journey, they'd be coming from elsewhere on the bus and have a bus ticket or on the train and have a through train ticket

I understand that. I was referring to a journey solely between Birmingham & University. Probably should have made that more clear

V89MOA

I never said that you did....
I have simply given you a very valid reason as to why somebody would choose the bus over the train to make this commute.... The fact that you are having difficulty understanding my point that people like to have flexibility for any occasion and don't like to pay for travel twice is not my problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk