News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

South Birmingham Consultation 2017

Started by Stu, July 25, 2017, 08:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyjoe

Not read it all but are we saying that current 63 and x61 is failing with over crowding etc ?

BigDaddyCool

Mike K

Quote from: BigDaddyCool on June 16, 2018, 07:42:55 PM
Has the x61 failed?

It hasn't lasted long so read into that what you will.

Having two routes with different and unmatched frequencies, different city terminus points, one limited stop and the other not, and the X61 missing out much of the busy Selly Oak section, it's perhaps not that surprising that they're changing things.

Stu

Quote from: BigDaddyCool on June 16, 2018, 07:42:55 PM
Has the x61 failed?
Quote from: monkeyjoe on June 16, 2018, 06:52:44 PM
Not read it all but are we saying that current 63 and x61 is failing with over crowding etc ?

From a personal observational view, I'm not sure it helps having the X61 and 63 serve different terminus stops in the city centre.

The X61 may be a limited stop service, but it does share many stops with the 63 service. If I'm in town and looking to get home, from Moor Street Queensway, if I've just missed an X1 or X2, if there's a 60 right behind, I'll just get on that instead of waiting the extra 10 minutes for the 'faster' bus, as they call at the same stop.

Likewise, if I've just missed an X61 and want to get to Priory Road (for example), if a 63 rolls up just behind, I'd be inclined to just get that.

I can appreciate the logistical reasons for having seperate terminus stops, its just not useful for passengers I feel.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Stu on June 16, 2018, 08:08:02 PM
From a personal observational view, I'm not sure it helps having the X61 and 63 serve different terminus stops in the city centre.

The X61 may be a limited stop service, but it does share many stops with the 63 service. If I'm in town and looking to get home, from Moor Street Queensway, if I've just missed an X1 or X2, if there's a 60 right behind, I'll just get on that instead of waiting the extra 10 minutes for the 'faster' bus, as they call at the same stop.

Likewise, if I've just missed an X61 and want to get to Priory Road (for example), if a 63 rolls up just behind, I'd be inclined to just get that.

I can appreciate the logistical reasons for having seperate terminus stops, its just not useful for passengers I feel.
They both stop at MS15, which is just across the road from the 63 terminus at Carrs Lane.
As well as NS3 (which is usually rather busy whenever i've seen it) and NS9.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

According to a post on Rail Forum UK, the Acocks Green 1 will have a frequency increase to every 10 minutes between Edgbaston Old Church and Acocks Green.

"1 - Five Ways to Gospel Oak
Changes: New service 1A introduced, operating from QE Hospital to Acocks Green, Via Edgbaston Cricket Ground and Moseley. Between Edgbaston and Acocks Green, buses will operate every 10 minutes."
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

j789

Quote from: Mike K on June 16, 2018, 08:04:08 PM
It hasn't lasted long so read into that what you will.

Having two routes with different and unmatched frequencies, different city terminus points, one limited stop and the other not, and the X61 missing out much of the busy Selly Oak section, it's perhaps not that surprising that they're changing things.

Whenever I'm driving a 144 in Birmingham the X61 and 98s I see are always busy. I am very surprised they are fiddling with the 98 as I think that is one new route that has proved itself successful. I hope they maintain the Rednal to Rubery link.

Why they didn't develop the land around the Selly Oak bypass at the same time it was built I have no clue as by now the old Sainsbury's could have been knocked down and a much better road junction be in its place that would have eased traffic. Seems like shocking planning to me, particularly as the new Sainsbury's was in the planning stage as long ago as 2005.

There was a rumour that went round Worcester garage that the 144 was to be diverted via the QE but I think the traffic problems put paid to that idea. A lot of passengers get off our buses to catch a QE bound bus at Oak tree Lane so it may have been popular too.

V89MOA

Quote from: 2206 on June 16, 2018, 08:11:39 PM
They both stop at MS15, which is just across the road from the 63 terminus at Carrs Lane.
In principle that's true but part of the problem is people have to walk far enough as it is now in town and Moor St is right on the edge. Just that extra walk and crossing on the off chance the X61 may be due, especially to those with shopping or people who've changed buses already is too much and 9 times out of 10 a 63 will be sat there waiting so they'll just jump on. People nowadays like and expect convenience. It's a shame the X61 wasn't given a trial terminating on Priory Queensway at the X64 stop. It'll certainly be very interesting to see what city centre route the new X2* routes take.

Jack

Quote from: V89MOA on June 16, 2018, 10:23:19 PM
In principle that's true but part of the problem is people have to walk far enough as it is now in town and Moor St is right on the edge. Just that extra walk and crossing on the off chance the X61 may be due, especially to those with shopping or people who've changed buses already is too much and 9 times out of 10 a 63 will be sat there waiting so they'll just jump on. People nowadays like and expect convenience. It's a shame the X61 wasn't given a trial terminating on Priory Queensway at the X64 stop. It'll certainly be very interesting to see what city centre route the new X2* routes take.
I have a feeling the 61 will share the Carrs Lane stop again with the 63, the X61's current terminus is rather pointless. I hope the new X2* services follow the City Centre loop as per the current routes do rather than being shunted at Colmore Row. Off topic I know but will the 126 go back to Markets or is Colmore Row permanent?

Another thing I'm suprised hasn't been mentioned was the 31 following the 37 from City to Acocks Green, too boost up time and not be in stuck in the tailback section of Stratford Road.

MW

Quote from: 2206 on June 16, 2018, 08:40:31 PM
According to a post on Rail Forum UK, the Acocks Green 1 will have a frequency increase to every 10 minutes between Edgbaston Old Church and Acocks Green.

Changes: New service 1A introduced, operating from QE Hospital to Acocks Green, Via Edgbaston Cricket Ground and Moseley. Between Edgbaston and Acocks Green, buses will operate every 10 minutes."

Isn't it every 10 minutes now? Or it was when I was driving at AG. It was every 10 minutes between Five Ways & Acocks Green with every other bus extended to Shirley and then later to Gospel Oak. In fact, isn't the bit between Edgbaston and Five Ways now being dropped from 10 mins to 20 mins?

Dom

Quote from: Jack on June 16, 2018, 10:36:34 PM
I have a feeling the 61 will share the Carrs Lane stop again with the 63.

Incorrect.

Sh4318

Quote from: 2206 on June 16, 2018, 08:40:31 PM

I can't help but wonder how this will affect the Sunday timetable, will it stay as it is now? Or will there be a 1 & 1A per hour, or perhaps every 20 mins with two 1s per hour and a 1A per hour.

Quote from: MW on June 16, 2018, 11:53:16 PM
Isn't it every 10 minutes now? Or it was when I was driving at AG. It was every 10 minutes between Five Ways & Acocks Green with every other bus extended to Shirley and then later to Gospel Oak. In fact, isn't the bit between Edgbaston and Five Ways now being dropped from 10 mins to 20 mins?

It's every 20 mins off peak
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

MW

Quote from: Sh4318 on June 17, 2018, 12:55:23 AM
I can't help but wonder how this will affect the Sunday timetable, will it stay as it is now? Or will there be a 1 & 1A per hour, or perhaps every 20 mins with two 1s per hour and a 1A per hour.

It's every 20 mins off peak

Oh right, I was referring to its 10 min peak frequency but he must be saying it's going to become every 10 mins during the day. I can't see that lasting long then. The 1 is dead during the day, in it's current guise anyway.

B.C Driver

The X61 was every 15 mins which is ok at quiet times but not during peak hours. This should have been improved.
The X61 and 63 will take a slightly different route in City both not terminating where they do now.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

Mike K

No idea where he gets his info from or if it's correct but the post on the rail forum says:
"New services replacing 22, 29, 98 and X64. X20 and X21 will operate along Bristol Road and Aston Webb Boulevard to the QE Hospital, while X22 will use Bath Row, Five Ways, Edgbaston Park Road and The Vale. Beyond the QE Hospital, X20 will operate along the current 98 route, terminating in Cofton Hackett, rather than continuing onwards to Great Park. X21 will operate to The Woodcock, with X22 operating along Bristol Road, then via the current X64 route to Bartley Green, Kitwell and Woodgate."

However, the consultation inferred that there might be more buses between city and QE via The Vale, not less, and I'd be surprised if the X22 was any more than every 20 mins. Also the plan was that the 22 (X22) would run via Quinton Road to the QE, so I can't see the info above being correct. The same post also says that the 48 will run from the QE through Bournville and Cotteridge to Hawkesley, then via the 27 route to Northfield.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk