News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Changing Demographics

Started by monkeyjoe, February 10, 2016, 07:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyjoe

I drive from castle brom to c wood so that's my observations

:D

The main thing I've noticed is a decrease in using bus for leisure. Nobody really seems to go out for a swim in leisure centre, shopping in some high street that's not in brum city centre, etc.

That probably explains for the decline in inner suburban link buses.

PM

Quote from: :D on February 11, 2016, 07:25:00 PM
The main thing I've noticed is a decrease in using bus for leisure. Nobody really seems to go out for a swim in leisure centre, shopping in some high street that's not in brum city centre, etc.

That probably explains for the decline in inner suburban link buses.

And the decline of High Street shops and facilities! What you can notice from bus patronage change statistics is that several affluent areas with thriving, innovative town centres have seen increases due to OAP travel or even fare-payers, while some less affluent areas have seen decreases, I reckon, along the lines of what First Midlands MD said, ie that if the town centre/facilities aren't attractive, people won't visit them and will drive to out of town retail areas inside. Several of the areas with large patronage increases eg Bristol I'd put down more to innovation and competitive fares after years of making the bus less and less attractive.

I'd reckon if the Potteries gets awarded capital of culture with funding to match to upgrade the city and town centres into more attractive destinations, there could well be a resurgence in bus use.

j789

I think in many areas increases in bus travel have come about as a result of an increase in university/ college student numbers over the last few years. For students, the bus is a viable option. The fact many companies have specific uni services and passes show the potential. Students also use the late night buses too.

Quote from: Kevin on February 10, 2016, 11:36:00 AM
Definitely does seem to have been a decline in some of the inner suburban link services (cross city 66 / Inner Circle / 1 / 40 Aston - Handsworth) over the years.

Whether that's down to people getting fed up of being stuck in traffic at every major arterial route they come across and going into town instead, or simply because those services are always being cut back, who knows...
Possibly the 966 as well
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

karl724223

Quote from: 2206 on February 13, 2016, 07:35:54 PM
Possibly the 966 as well @Kevin
i did the old 966 wolves to airport about 1993/4 in timesavers

barry619

Quote from: DiamondDart on February 11, 2016, 07:59:09 PM
I'd reckon if the Potteries gets awarded capital of culture with funding to match...

I know it's not related but Stoke-on-Trent considering itself as a potential Capital of Culture is probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

PM

Quote from: barry619 on February 13, 2016, 08:11:23 PM
I know it's not related but Stoke-on-Trent considering itself as a potential Capital of Culture is probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

The competition is Hull, the Potteries did produce world-renowned ceramics though, just a shame it's kind of died as an area ever since.

Mike K

Stoke vs Hull for capital of culture. Like a beauty contest between Anne Widdecombe and Clare Short.

Sorry, back on topic...

BK63 YWP

Its not a competition Hull won the 2017 bid and Coventry is going for the next one in 2021 is stoke bidding too?
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Mike K

Quote from: Chris on February 13, 2016, 09:28:26 PM
Its not a competition Hull won the 2017 bid and Coventry is going for the next one in 2021 is stoke bidding too?

I rest my case

JB93

The old 689 route from Smith's Wood to I think it was Sheldon Wheatsheaf (correct me if I'm wrong) always seemed quite popular and then just slowly fizzled out. Started as the 98 when East Brum had the 9* number theme, then became the 89 then the 689. Now I think it's operated by iGo or Diamond as the 99,  not quite sure.

Same can be said for the 663 now the 53, when Pete's travel used to operate it it had very healthy loadings and now its barren.

PM

Quote from: JB93 on February 15, 2016, 01:22:03 PM
The old 689 route from Smith's Wood to I think it was Sheldon Wheatsheaf (correct me if I'm wrong) always seemed quite popular and then just slowly fizzled out. Started as the 98 when East Brum had the 9* number theme, then became the 89 then the 689. Now I think it's operated by iGo or Diamond as the 99,  not quite sure.

Same can be said for the 663 now the 53, when Pete's travel used to operate it it had very healthy loadings and now its barren.

I'm always surprised by how dead bits of the 19 in Northfield is, that needs chopping right back to the core bits that load ok (ie some former 27/44 roads like Pamela and South Rd up to Northfield village)  I also don't get the logic of both that and the 27 going to the Maypole, why would people need so many bph to a traffic island?!

When new Longbridge houses open, I'd curtail 19 to go round there in a circular, stop at Longbridge.

Stu

Quote from: DiamondDart on February 15, 2016, 01:59:31 PM
I also don't get the logic of both that and the 27 going to the Maypole, why would people need so many bph to a traffic island?!

Have you ever been to Maypole? It's more than a 'traffic island', there's quite a busy shopping centre there.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

PM

Quote from: Stu on February 15, 2016, 06:52:57 PM
Have you ever been to Maypole? It's more than a 'traffic island', there's quite a busy shopping centre there.

Yep, shopping centre?! There's Aldi, Wilko, Sainsbury's and Halfords on the side of a busy traffic island, why would anyone specifically go there as a shopping destination?! Most of that lot are in Northfield or King's Heath and numerous other places!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk