News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Stevensons

Started by PM, December 28, 2015, 10:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PM

Been looking through a load of old Stevensons timetables I got a while back now and couldn't find a thread on here for them. I hadn't realised the extent to which they really tried to move into the West Midlands with contracted and competing routes. Didn't WMT buy them out of part of their WM op?

It's interesting they ran the 688 (current 121) and the 223/4, now run by Arriva who bought the rest of Stevensons. Full circle! Prepared to be corrected on some of the above but thought it'd be interesting to have a thread for them.

Steveminor

They even competed on the 94 against claribels & frontline at one point making 4 different companies on the 94.
Wmt retaliated by attacking burton with your bus which ultimately led to the sale to what we now call arriva. There was more to that than met the eye though but this was at a time when wmt was extremely predatory & would chase any competitor anywhere.

When you look back to those early deregulation days how much different things could have been now if those guys hadn't sold up
Tame valley had a very large network then you had Stevenson metro west your bus not forgetting the network that midland red west had that they just squandered away before petes put the nails into their final few routes.

monkeyjoe

Liked it when Stevensons attacked WMT on the 94, days when that route was actually a high profile one.

winston

Quote from: monkeyjoe on December 29, 2015, 12:03:25 AM
Liked it when Stevensons attacked WMT on the 94, days when that route was actually a high profile one.

I don't remember Stevensons on the 94 but Tame Valley were the most prominent in East Birmingham back then, I think Claribels still ran coaches back then on 55 & 94

P419 EJW

Found out something rather interesting, Stevensons operated an old Midland Red route 112 from Birmingham to Burton on Trent in 1993. This picture is a Spectra on the 112 displaying Hill Hook. https://www.flickr.com/photos/44483738@N05/8629522252

Also this of an Alexander bodied Leyland Olympian on the 112: http://christopher-leach-photography.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/stevensons-olympian-on-old-midland-red.html?m=1

busfan2847

Originally it was a Midland Red route (X12/112) dating back to pre WW2 and passing to Stevensons with Swadlincote garage in August 1987

busfan2847

Quote from: DiamondDart on December 28, 2015, 10:19:47 PM
Been looking through a load of old Stevensons timetables I got a while back now and couldn't find a thread on here for them. I hadn't realised the extent to which they really tried to move into the West Midlands with contracted and competing routes. Didn't WMT buy them out of part of their WM op?

It's interesting they ran the 688 (current 121) and the 223/4, now run by Arriva who bought the rest of Stevensons. Full circle! Prepared to be corrected on some of the above but thought it'd be interesting to have a thread for them.

The expansion from a 30 vehicle fleet to a 200+ vehicle concern was achieved in the 1980s.  This was largely due to deregulation, and also to a lively and very active management led by Julian Peddle.  Take-overs provided much of the impetus, but, operations were also established in other ways by tendering for local authority services and looking for commercial opportunities to exploit.  The companies taken over include Crystal Coaches of Newcastle-under-Lyme in September 1984, East Staffordshire District Council in October 1985 (the council acquired a 49% stake in the company), Blue Bus Services of Rugeley in October 1985, Erewash Travel of Ilkeston in October 1985 (subsequently resold to City of Nottingham Transport in November 1988), Viking Coaches and Victoria Motorways of Woodville in November 1987, Sealandair and Collett of West Bromwich in May 1991 (Sealandair was sold to Birmingham Coach Company in August 1994) and Classic of Wombourne in May 1991 following the failure of that company.  In August 1987 the company helped Midland Fox privatise and took over the buses and operations from Swadlincote garage.  Stevensons increased its operations in the West Midlands with the opening of a Darlaston depot in October 1989.

The area of operation in 1992 included Uttoxeter, Burton and Swadlincote, the West Midlands, the Potteries, Stockport and Edinburgh.  Later on 28 September 1992 Stevensons swapped the Pacer operation in Stockport with PMT for their Red Rider services in the West Midlands.  In 1993 there were plans for a joint venture with West Midlands Travel trading as Buslink (Midlands) Ltd from the old Birmingham Coach Company garage in Smethwick.  Stevensons had repainted a WMT Metrorider for the new venture but WMT pulled out, probably due to its takeover of Metrowest.  However by early 1994 relationships between WMT and Stevensons had deteriorated.  WMT had added Smiths to its fold and from 9 May 1994 opened an operation in Burton under Smiths name with 20 vehicles.  Stevensons vigorously reacted to this development with a retrenchment in the West Midlands, including closure of the Smethwick depot, to provide a reserve fleet with which to attck Smiths in Burton.  From 9 June 1994 Stevensons retaliated starting two new routes in the Wolverhampton (511, 529).  However by then Stevensons were talking to a number of companies with regard to a takeover.

British Bus took over the company on 20 June 1994.  The battle of Burton ended with the withdrawal of the final Smiths services on 10 September 1994, but before then all Stevensons services in the Black Country had passed to WMT on 14 August 1994. 

Metropolitan began services in September 1994, following the withdrawal of Stevensons from the West Midlands.  The company was formed by Stevensons' depot managers at West Bromwich, Willenhall and Sealandair who were made redundant by WMT.  Services were centered on Dudley and Merry Hill.  During 1997 the company became associated with Midland Choice, who finally absorbed the company in 1999.

Gareth

Quote from: Winston on December 29, 2015, 12:17:21 AM
I don't remember Stevensons on the 94 but Tame Valley were the most prominent in East Birmingham back then, I think Claribels still ran coaches back then on 55 & 94

The 94 originally started as the 94B and ran down Alum Rock road instead of Washwood Heath. Stevenson's also ran the 663 (now the 53) between Erdington and East Birmingham Hospital (Heartlands) i think Tame Valley took that on after Stevenson's. The 663/53 has had loads of operators. Midland Red West, Stevenson's, Tame Valley, West Midlands Travel, Pete's Travel, Zak's, Central Connect, Diamond and Igo.

fleetline6477

I can remember Stevensons, really interesting routes and vehicles. They used what is now the overspill area for NXWM at West Bromwich, a number of buildings have been demolished on the site since then. They began some interesting routes some of which survive in some form or another. They produced local timetable leaflets.

I remember
238 West Bromwich - Oldbury - Blackheath - Merry Hill - Stourbridge
444 West Bromwich - Londonderry - Bearwood
459 Birmingham - Bearwood - Brandhall - Stone Cross - West Bromwich

Westy

I remember Stevensons having a go at Cannock to Walsall with a 353, Wmt adding their own 353 to their own routes in return.

Bob

I remember the 353 with ex SYPTE and WMPTE Metrobuses, Alexander Metrobuses and Alexander Y type Leopards &SSeddons!  Awesome place Cannock was then! Had loads of deckers about from different operators...Stevensons  also ran the 35 Cannock to Rose Hill via Chadsmoor and Sankey Road estate for several years. ...

sonic84

Stevensons also ran the 202, 203 and 204 Halesowen to bromsgrove services before Ludlows took them over

winston

Quote from: sonic84 on December 30, 2015, 12:06:58 PM
Stevensons also ran the 202, 203 and 204 Halesowen to bromsgrove services before Ludlows took them over

Wasn't the 441 which WMT/TWM retained also a former Stevensons route?

monkeyjoe

Quote from: Winston on December 30, 2015, 03:08:45 PM
Wasn't the 441 which WMT/TWM retained also a former Stevensons route?

Correct i remember that.

Stevensons won quite a few subsidised journeys back in the day. Can't remember specifics.

Talking of Tame Valley didn't they take over a lot of the night routes at one point or am i getting that confused with Pete's Travel.

winston

Quote from: monkeyjoe on December 30, 2015, 04:10:46 PM

Correct i remember that.

Stevensons won quite a few subsidised journeys back in the day. Can't remember specifics.

Talking of Tame Valley didn't they take over a lot of the night routes at one point or am i getting that confused with Pete's Travel.

It was Pete's Travel that took over all the night bus routes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk