News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Why is NXWM still buying buses that don't have wifi?

Started by Ben, April 03, 2015, 12:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley 60171

Quote from: Stu on April 03, 2015, 06:46:20 PM
I have a smartphone and a tablet, but I have no need for wi-fi, and I don't know what the obsession is with people demanding free wi-fi everywhere.

(I'm quite happy to leave my phone in my pocket and my tablet in my bag, and just sit back and enjoy my bus journey, without worrying about emails or Facebook for 20 minutes a day)

"Free wi-fi" comes at a cost - the equipment and data connection isn't free for NX or any other bus operator; no doubt the same people demanding free wi-fi on buses are also the same ones moaning about fare increases every year! Then there are the privacy implications, these 'free' services nearly always require you to 'sign up' with them and require personal information as part of the registration process. Plus the connection is unsecured, so anyone could hack in and intercept your data.

My phone contract comes with an unlimited data usage deal anyway, so if I really badly need to access the internet on the move, I'll use my own data connection anyway, thank you very much!

I agree entirely. WiFi shouldn't be mandatory on public transport. If its there then fair enough I'll use it. However, operators equip buses with WiFi, advertise it, but you can bet nobody will have noticed because it seems people cant detach themselves from their phones. If you need internet access on the move, invest in a better mobile phone tariff

domino.99

I think the main reason NXWM are not using it on a large majority of routes is because it can be one of there SP for the platinum routes, use our us not their's ours has wifi. it's more of a premium than regular.

Tiptonian

If you can't do without wifi/social media on what is more than likely a short journey, you should have the equipment to provide it for yourself. You should not need to charge up your device on a bus. If it's that important, make sure it's charged before you leave home. Power sockets, 5 volt or 230 volt, have no place on a bus (has no-one ever heard of terrorists?). If you want entertainment on a bus, look out the of window at the world and life around you. While the manufacturing side is having to bend over backwards to cut vehicle emissions, fuel consumption and weight, having to provide these facilities (free of course) adds to all three, as well as the added complication and expense during manufacture. How much admin time will be wasted in future due to complaints that the "0804hrs. 558 from Dudton to Wolverhampley had no wifi and I couldn't have a shave because the socket didn't work"?

If these facilities were removed, just how many passengers would be lost?

Stu

Quote from: the trainbasher on April 03, 2015, 07:20:03 PM
@Stu what I do with free WiFi is use a VPN I've set up to route via. More secure!

For the rare occasions I use my tablet when I'm not at home or in the office, I use my phone as a 'portable hotspot'. Or 'mi-fi' as I believe its called!

I can appreciate the need for wi-fi on long train journeys, but seriously, same as those who eat food on buses, if you can't wait until you get to your destination to get your Twitter or Facebook fix, then you seriously have a problem!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

PM

Quote from: Matt on April 03, 2015, 08:49:40 PM
In my experience for whatever reason it can be quite difficult to get a 3G data signal on trains so it is useful to have wi-fi particularly for businessmen and women on long commutes.

You have to be careful about putting wi-fi willy-nilly on buses though as it can get quite expensive as people will abuse it by streaming movies and videos.

Most companies eg Arriva block music/video streaming/YouTube etc on their WiFi...

monkeyjoe

As a sales rep back in the day would be the only reason i would stop at maccy d's car parks to use their hot spot. Seriously with technology these days it does not need to be mandatory, let's face the majority of peeps usinf it on public transport will be teenies checking who said what on facebook.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk