News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Why is NXWM still buying buses that don't have wifi?

Started by Ben, April 03, 2015, 12:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

More new buses is a good thing, but the lack of wifi is seriously putting NXWM behind in my opinion. Most of the routes are urban based so its not exactly difficult.

Can anybody answer the question of why new NXWM vehicles still dont have wifi?

Is it the additional cost?
Or is it for some other reason. Really its about time for it, its the only thing missing.

....Btw, I'm envisioning that in the future you'll be able to press the stop bell button from your smartphone.

PM

Quote from: Ben on April 03, 2015, 12:16:42 PM
More new buses is a good thing, but the lack of wifi is seriously putting NXWM behind in my opinion. Most of the routes are urban based so its not exactly difficult.

Can anybody answer the question of why new NXWM vehicles still dont have wifi?

Is it the additional cost?
Or is it for some other reason. Really its about time for it, its the only thing missing.

....Btw, I'm envisioning that in the future you'll be able to press the stop bell button from your smartphone.

WiFi is a really interesting one. I think it's useful on longer journeys eg X51 and the new routes to Cannock and Stafford. However, on short journeys, is it really needed? Most passengers have some sort of 3/4G on their smartphone with a decent amount of data, so why would WiFi really be needed?

I think it'll become more and more common though, along with power plugs. Bizarrely, the cross Durham route 64 which is a fairly short route has power plugs installed on the e200's.

I believe Preston Bus have even trialled music on buses, not sure how popular that has been though

monkeyjoe

Think they tried it on the 50 one time and didn't not give a decent ROI

Ben

Quote from: DiamondDart on April 03, 2015, 12:24:29 PM
I believe Preston Bus have even trialled music on buses, not sure how popular that has been though
I live in Preston when I'm not in Midlands...
Basically their system is just FM radio (Usually local station rock fm, played over a sound system. Ok quality, but not the same as having wifi).

Journey length to me seems unimportant, it takes merely seconds to load an important e-mail or check the news headlines.
Some people like myself have less data allowance.

PM

Quote from: Ben on April 03, 2015, 12:40:25 PM
I live in Preston when I'm not in Midlands...
Basically their system is just FM radio (Usually local station rock fm, played over a sound system. Ok quality, but not the same as having wifi).

Journey length to me seems unimportant, it takes merely seconds to load an important e-mail or check the news headlines.
Some people like myself have less data allowance.

That's interesting! Take it you use Preston Bus a fair bit then? I'm surprised they'd pick a rock fm station...

True about checking emails etc on shorter journeys but it's far more likely on longer journeys.

Alex

@DiamondDart For the 54/154, i presume that 853 & 854 will be commonly used on there as they have Wi-Fi fitted, and when the Platinums arrive, the X51 will have buses with Wi-Fi
Hypocrites are like flares... a right pain if one goes near you, and really annoying to get rid of...

My YouTube channel: Alex Jones

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjxo69BfENu3fiWuzCNYyg

Ben

Quote from: DiamondDart on April 03, 2015, 01:01:16 PM
That's interesting! Take it you use Preston Bus a fair bit then? I'm surprised they'd pick a rock fm station...
True about checking emails etc on shorter journeys but it's far more likely on longer journeys.
I don't use the bus that much in Preston because for me most things are in walking distance (i.e being a student).
Rock fm isn't actually a rock station, its like Free radio here in the Midlands really, top 40 chart music and pop classics.

It surprises me that NX don't want to data harvest unlike a lot of other big companies... Perfect oppurtunity to with wifi.

PM

Quote from: Ben on April 03, 2015, 01:32:10 PM
I don't use the bus that much in Preston because for me most things are in walking distance (i.e being a student).
Rock fm isn't actually a rock station, its like Free radio here in the Midlands really, top 40 chart music and pop classics.

It surprises me that NX don't want to data harvest unlike a lot of other big companies... Perfect oppurtunity to with wifi.

Aah, fair enough! A generic station like Free makes sense. GNE do a lot with Metro radio in the North East which is kind of similar.

Very true about Data harvesting, then partnerships/exclusive deals can be offered through bus companies for products/services bus passengers are using...

Gareth

Why do we need wifi for such a short journey? Longer ones, maybe. But that's being addressed during the summer with the introduction of Platinum routes.
If you're that important or impatient that you need to be checking emails every few seconds then you would almost certainly have a data package with your phone provider that would support this. Either that or you could claim phone use on company expenses.
I think it's important on trains that have longer journeys, but 70people all trying to use it on one bus? It would be the slow that it would be easier and quicker to use phone data.

the trainbasher

Using wifi is also good for those who use social media a lot!

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Trident 4609

Quote from: Alex on April 03, 2015, 01:04:09 PM
@DiamondDart For the 54/154, i presume that 853 & 854 will be commonly used on there as they have Wi-Fi fitted, and when the Platinums arrive, the X51 will have buses with Wi-Fi

I suspect a few more E200's (861-3 possibly) will be equipt with WiFi to go alongside 853/4

Sh4318

I'm sure eventually WiFi will be a common thing on NX buses. I'm more concerned with the lack of WiFi on London Midland stock, I don't really expect it from Arriva Trains Wales
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Stu

I have a smartphone and a tablet, but I have no need for wi-fi, and I don't know what the obsession is with people demanding free wi-fi everywhere.

(I'm quite happy to leave my phone in my pocket and my tablet in my bag, and just sit back and enjoy my bus journey, without worrying about emails or Facebook for 20 minutes a day)

"Free wi-fi" comes at a cost - the equipment and data connection isn't free for NX or any other bus operator; no doubt the same people demanding free wi-fi on buses are also the same ones moaning about fare increases every year! Then there are the privacy implications, these 'free' services nearly always require you to 'sign up' with them and require personal information as part of the registration process. Plus the connection is unsecured, so anyone could hack in and intercept your data.

My phone contract comes with an unlimited data usage deal anyway, so if I really badly need to access the internet on the move, I'll use my own data connection anyway, thank you very much!

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

GeminiFan1991

I personally don't think they should have WiFi on normal services anyway. Normal services are often start and stop and the use of WiFi will be limited. Plus being a technological person, I would surmise the over 40 people potentially accessing the same network would cause havoc on the bandwidth side and result in slow speeds.

I do however think on express routes and shuttle buses they have a place as the journey time on them sufficient to make use of WiFi.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

the trainbasher

@Stu what I do with free WiFi is use a VPN I've set up to route via. More secure!

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk