News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Why no free city centre bus?

Started by Dutsey, March 26, 2015, 01:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutsey

Why does Birmingham not have a free city centre bus that could run between the main attractions? Nottingham has one that runs every 10 minutes.

Sh4318

That's a good point. Manchester has 3. There was the 77 but that was ages ago
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Tony

Centrebuses have been tried at least 3 time, but Birmingham actually has quite a small City Centre for its size.

Most of the people who 'need' a free centrebus get free travel anyway so can use routes like the 16; 126 and 87 which cover large parts of the Centre

lynx1103

Birmingham has had 101 centre bus and 103 known as centrelink in the 90s

There was a free centrebus 77 starting January 2000 by TWM while Birmingham was rebuilt.
Pete's Travel took it over 12 months later a fare of 20p for non Centre/N bus holders.
I think this lasted 12-18 months not sure though.

PM

Quote from: lynx1103 on March 26, 2015, 04:02:57 PM

There was a free centrebus 77 starting January 2000 by TWM while Birmingham was rebuilt.
Pete's Travel took it over 12 months later a fare of 20p for non Centre/N bus holders.
I think this lasted 12-18 months not sure though.

Think Zak's later ran one as well around 2006 called Station Link or something like that...

Stu

Quote from: DiamondDart on March 26, 2015, 04:28:25 PM
Think Zak's later ran one as well around 2006 called Station Link or something like that...

The free shuttle bus that was withdrawn due to lack of use...  ;D
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stuharris 6360

A link between New Street and Snow hill would be no longer needed when the Metro extension opens.

Will be interesting to see if any arrangement is made so that train tickets which involve transfer between Snow Hill and New Street (or vice versa) are accepted on the Metro?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

CL

Quote from: lynx1103 on March 26, 2015, 04:02:57 PM

I had overheard a conversation a while back, about the CentreBus 101. Their opinion? "It was stupid," to quote - bearing in mind, they also said that at the time, two 101s were operating to/from the city centre... ::)
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: clayderman on March 26, 2015, 08:54:14 PM
I had overheard a conversation a while back, about the CentreBus 101. Their opinion? "It was stupid," to quote - bearing in mind, they also said that at the time, two 101s were operating to/from the city centre... ::)

Am not sure the 2 101s did ever run at the same time. Am sure the current 101 started when the circular Centrebus ended but am willing to be corrected on that one.

For a while there was also a 100 Centrebus, but i can't remember where it served, anybody any ideas?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Kevin

A bus service like that again in Brum wouldn't work. As said the area people see as the city centre is actually quite small, and a handful of buses do currently cover it.

The issue is the little bit just surrounding the city centre, ie the Jewellery Quarter, Aston Uni / Eastside / Science Park, Ladywood potentially out to city hospital
.. In fact pretty much the area within the Middleway ring road.

There are a lot of people for example at present that traipse across town from wherever their bus stops to the 66 on Priory Queensway, then catch that for the 4 stops to Gosta Green. If there was some sort of service that catered for that better than the 66 currently does then it would not only benefit those people but potentially persuade others who currently decide "screw it I've walked this far across town from my bus I might as well just carry on walking"
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

domino.99

This reminds me why did the then TWM stop running on the 500

Tony

Quote from: NXDom on March 27, 2015, 10:35:02 PM
This reminds me why did the then TWM stop running on the 500

End of subsidy from Wolverhampton Council, subsidy is obviously needed on a free bus.

Oozells

Quote from: Tony on March 26, 2015, 01:32:04 PM
Centrebuses have been tried at least 3 time, but Birmingham actually has quite a small City Centre for its size.

Most of the people who 'need' a free centrebus get free travel anyway so can use routes like the 16; 126 and 87 which cover large parts of the Centre

Birmingham has a larger city centre than Manchester and Nottingham and it's harder to get around with the amount of roads, hills, bridges and tunnels to traverse. But we do have those buses listed and it is just £1. When I lived in Manchester it was actually quicker to walk than get the free bus!

Quote from: Kevin on March 27, 2015, 10:29:41 PM
The issue is the little bit just surrounding the city centre, ie the Jewellery Quarter, Aston Uni / Eastside / Science Park, Ladywood potentially out to city hospital
.. In fact pretty much the area within the Middleway ring road.

You've pretty much just listed everywhere in the city centre. This is why it's not a small city centre. Places like Digbeth, the Jewellery Quarter and definitely Eastside, Aston Uni, Broad Street, Brindleyplace and The Mailbox area are all in the city centre. You may as well say Moor Street Station isn't in it if you're using the old Queensway - half of which doesn't exist anymore - as the boundary!

Steveminor

Why no free bus? Simple who'd pay for it & what other worthwhile service would have to be cut in order for centro to fund it.
Like it's been said there are plenty of buses connecting different parts of the city albeit with a little walk but hey ho.

busfan2847

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on March 26, 2015, 09:06:57 PM
Am not sure the 2 101s did ever run at the same time. Am sure the current 101 started when the circular Centrebus ended but am willing to be corrected on that one.

For a while there was also a 100 Centrebus, but i can't remember where it served, anybody any ideas?
That is correct the 101 Centrebus was replaced with the 101 to Oxhill Rd which also replaced the 76 (Oxhill Rd via Lodge Rd) which had replaced 70 (Oxhill Rd) and 96 (Lodge Rd) at deregulation. There was never two 101s at the same time.

I remember the 100 it was an anti-clockwise Centrebus (assuming the 101 was clockwise). It was short lived as it never seemed to go where people wanted to go!

The 101 centrebus was quite busy, remember it started with Commer minibuses (2nd Oct 1972) and was not very busy and only served the pedestrianized area, the route was expanded (14th Jan 1974) to serve Moor St station, Paradise Circus and Great Charles St and on 18th Nov 1974 the Commers were replaced by the Birmingham single deck Fleetlines as they were too small.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk