News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Centro Bus Shelters

Started by Bryan, February 20, 2015, 09:05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

Interesting to read the following article in the Birmingham Mail, which can hardly encourage the use of buses:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/bus-shelter-fronts-chopped-leaving-8676842

D10

After the fiasco of the inadequate City Centre shelters, it seems that Centro are determined to ensure that bus users get soaked whilst waiting for their bus!  ::)

Stu

This is old news though surely? Centro took the fronts off the bus shelters and admitted it was to increase advertising revenue last year.

Original report from April 2014 here: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/midlands-bus-shelter-ads-leave-6983241

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

paulb1973

Quote from: Stu on February 21, 2015, 01:05:49 PM
This is old news though surely? Centro took the fronts off the bus shelters and admitted it was to increase advertising revenue last year.

Original report from April 2014 here: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/midlands-bus-shelter-ads-leave-6983241

I thought that too, that's old news. There are no additional advertising panels on the shelters concerned, just the front piece on some has been removed (the bit parallel with the kerb, the nearest section to the road that did slightly hide the internal facing ad). Had ad company Clear Channel Adshel been allowed to install its own standard 'L' shaped shelters [the 'L' is the other way-round or up-side-down on some] it would have led to broadly the same result. Here are their own specs: http://www.clearchannel.co.uk/landlords-local-authorities/choice/ (some have ads, some don't).

From 2004, it appears Centro/NWM wanted to use its own shelter design/s - with bidders having to 'hang' their ad panels on these, in this case, Clear Channel UK. Rival street advertising company JC Decaux apparently, wanted to install their own unique designs - but Centro did not want that as they did not offer shelters with a wider pitch.

John

This seems the best topic to put this. I have noticed that in Falcon Lodge, the 2nd stop on a City bound 904 just before it turns into the Cresent, the shelter has a poster for 'New hybrids on the 1' on one of the windows. I guess either the shelter or window has been recycled from Wolverhampton

paulb1973

Quote from: John on July 30, 2015, 10:27:54 AM
This seems the best topic to put this. I have noticed that in Falcon Lodge, the 2nd stop on a City bound 904 just before it turns into the Cresent, the shelter has a poster for 'New hybrids on the 1' on one of the windows. I guess either the shelter or window has been recycled from Wolverhampton

I think some of the Coventry city-centre shelters (possibly on Bishop Street, Croft Rd & Cox Street etc) have been 'recycled' from other parts of the NWM/Centro empire. Or if not the full shelter, the blue ad panels attached to the slightly newer silver-painted shelters - causing a colour mismatch - have been.

There was a picture somewhere on the internet [Flickr possibly] showing a scruffy yard full of NWM bus shelters, removed from the streets for various reasons I assume. Presumably when stops are re-installed or when new ones are required they raid that 'yard' from time to time.

Matt.N0056

To save starting another thread....

Another style of rti bus stop pole has appeared in Tysley on Warwick Road. Well, the same pole, but different 'flag'.

Will add pics when I work out how to do it!

The Fox 4846

Some of the 936 & 997 stops have the top flag thing in black instead of blue
33 Asda Queslett via Perry Barr, Kingstanding, Pheasey
7 Sutton Coldfield via Witton, Perry Common, Boldmere

domino.99

Quote from: The Fox 4846 on August 23, 2015, 08:44:26 PM
Some of the 936 & 997 stops have the top flag thing in black instead of blue

Thats because there platinum, so do the 900 and 957

Stu

Quote from: Matt.N0056 on August 23, 2015, 08:00:44 PM
To save starting another thread....

Another style of rti bus stop pole has appeared in Tysley on Warwick Road. Well, the same pole, but different 'flag'.

Will add pics when I work out how to do it!

I noticed this the other week, kept meaning to stop off and get a photo myself. Doesn't seem to be active yet though, I'll have a peek on my way into work this morning.
My locals:

CL

Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Stu

Quote from: clayderman on August 24, 2015, 10:17:01 PM
They look nice. The first picture, no doubt, will be used for displaying buses stopping at the stop - i'm assuming.

I'm guessing this design means they just clip in small bits of hard vinyl with route numbers on, that way it's easier to change them when routes change, rather than printing off a whole new vinyl to stick over the whole flag.

It just seems strange that only one has been done, and in particular this one.
My locals:

Tara4352

Quote from: Stu on August 25, 2015, 07:49:18 AM
I'm guessing this design means they just clip in small bits of hard vinyl with route numbers on, that way it's easier to change them when routes change, rather than printing off a whole new vinyl to stick over the whole flag.

It just seems strange that only one has been done, and in particular this one.
There is two on the 87 route towards oldbury

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk