News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Audio Announcements

Started by Stu, January 29, 2015, 07:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karl724223

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on July 21, 2016, 03:59:09 PM
I think we should abandon the audio announcements with the hope that everybody that boards the bus knows how to read.
i agree learn the guide dog how to read to

JoNi

You soon "blank out" next stop announcements I only tend to notice them on the 900 when they are only operating on the other deck! Suggest you travel from West Ruislip to Epping on the Central Line you won't even notice it by Shepherds Bush!

Tony

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on July 21, 2016, 03:59:09 PM
I think we should abandon the audio announcements with the hope that everybody that boards the bus knows how to read.

How insulting to people with impaired eyesight

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: Tony on July 21, 2016, 06:01:31 PM

I meant it as a tongue in cheek comment following on from previous comments about multi language announcements.

I find invariably with these types of announcements you won't please everyone. 
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Stu

Quote from: JoNi on July 21, 2016, 10:36:33 AM
Excellent news if they are required providing they match up with bus stop names and timetable information!
There are different standards of audio information, not just next stop names but places of interest even where you are leaving ticket zones. In later case Arriva who give that bit extra!

I find that with some stops on the 900/957 between Hay Mills and Sheldon; in particular my stop in the morning, it is announced on-bus as 'Coventry Road, Forest Road', yet the stop flag and printed information refer to it as Kathleen Road, while the real-time display shows 'Old Bill And Bull'!

I think it would also be helpful if audio announcements did have additional information at certain interchanges, say for example at the Swan Island stops it could announce 'change here for Outer Circle buses', or even at the Kings Road stop towards city, have an additional announcement saying "change here for buses to Small Heath".
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

the trainbasher

I was on a train the other week where the announcements were in both English and a second language.

Trust me to end up with a class 175

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

JoNi

Was it stopping at LlanfairPG?

Mike K

Quote from: JoNi on July 21, 2016, 05:35:32 PM
You soon "blank out" next stop announcements I only tend to notice them on the 900 when they are only operating on the other deck! Suggest you travel from West Ruislip to Epping on the Central Line you won't even notice it by Shepherds Bush!

I agree. I'm able to completely switch off to the voice of Phil Upton on my local routes the 22 / 23 in much the same way that I stopped listening to my wife several years ago. It just becomes background noise. I do think it's helpful though both to people with impaired vision and those unfamiliar with an area or route.

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: Mike K on July 21, 2016, 11:34:12 PM
I agree. I'm able to completely switch off to the voice of Phil Upton on my local routes the 22 / 23 in much the same way that I stopped listening to my wife several years ago. It just becomes background noise. I do think it's helpful though both to people with impaired vision and those unfamiliar with an area or route.

You never cease to amaze me with your comments !

The announcements are good although personally, I tend to my ears preoccupied with headphones so its not something I register.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

karl724223

The driver should have settings on the voice announcement a bit like a sat nav where he can set the voice to a certain person
Like Lenny Henry in dudlay or say the noddy holder in Wolverhampton
Or maybe the queen
Or say sooty and sweep

Ashley 60171

Quote from: Tony on July 21, 2016, 06:01:31 PM

The best thing is that us visually impaired make more of an effort to see and know where we're going than alot of people who appear to not have the same problem.

I have to say that my favourite audio announcements are First Bristols, NX Platinum and the 1. I'll let you guess the order. The lady on the 1 doesn't bother me, only when I can recite the route stop by stop will I definitely be a vegetable.

Other Walsall Tony

Trent Barton add some variety.  'The next stop is..',  'We are now approaching...',  'Alight here for..'.
Tony

BK63 YWP

The audience announcements on the 1 don't  say the fighting Cocks 
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

mikestone

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 21, 2016, 02:51:35 PM
But, if I am honest, announcements get you down after a while. I can see why they are useful, but for example In London, you never get any peace from them, Bus or Tube.

Then I was in Blackpool over the weekend and now you get "Please press the STOP button if you require (eg:) Pleasure Beach" I asked a conductor about it and he said some high official had been on a tram and had complained that he didn't realise that he has to press the stop button to get off.

Even on Virgin Trains you go to the toilet and get an announcement telling you everything (including some stupid things) that you shouldn't put down the toilet.

Where will it all end.
;
and not only on Virgin.
;
I think it is highly unwise to add "humurous" bits to these kind of announcements.
;
Even worse are the no cycling posters on railway station with the "humorous" addition of hoverboards - anyone prosecuted under the byelaws for cycling (I know that's highly unlikely) could easily say that they assumed the whole poster was a joke.

Dom

Quote from: mikestone on July 22, 2016, 11:20:47 AM
;
and not only on Virgin.
;
I think it is highly unwise to add "humurous" bits to these kind of announcements.
;
Even worse are the no cycling posters on railway station with the "humorous" addition of hoverboards - anyone prosecuted under the byelaws for cycling (I know that's highly unlikely) could easily say that they assumed the whole poster was a joke.

Why? Surely people know that you wouldn't throw 'your ex's sweater' down a train toilet!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk