News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Dudley Bus Review 2015

Started by Chris2301, January 15, 2015, 12:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: KarlX96 on July 30, 2015, 02:06:06 PM
Hi Dutsey

the 5 service hasn't had new buses on the route yet so the patronage must of come from changing the number from 3 to 1 digit, and also maybe changing the times has helped. But the new numbering system could of helped a bit.

You cannot say that patronage has increased just becuase they have renumbered a service from 3 digits, to 1.

In 1976, the WMPTE changed all route numbers in the Dudley area it said to avoid the confusing duplication of numbers around its area, now 40 years later Centro are saying they don't mind having a confusing duplication of numbers. MADNESS in my opinion.

You don't go to London and go to Golders Green and see the number 13, then go to say Streatham and there is a version of the 13 there to.

The old system of 2xx series for Dudley/Stourbridge, 5xx for Wolverhampton etc was much much better!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

Quote from: KarlX96 on July 30, 2015, 02:54:48 PM
Hi Stuharris 6360 I'm not just saying that patronage has come from dropping numbers off routes, but some patronage may have come from that. Also it could of come from route branding.

One question? Do you know patronage on the 451/5 has increased?

Sh4318

Ahh, this old argument again. People in Sandwell have seemed to remember the new route numbers pretty well, so I'm sure they will in Dudley
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

domino.99

@KarlX96 Would you care to explain how you think a NUMBER CHANGE would make more people want to get a bus, therefore increasing the patronage.

Stu

Quote from: KarlX96 on July 30, 2015, 04:32:44 PM
Hi Sh4318

Thanks for backing me up. Although we were talking about patronage not numbers. You wouldn't happen to know about patronage on the 451/5 route?

All I know is that they increased the Sunday frequency a few months back to every 20 minutes, I can only presume this was as a result of an increase in patronage (on Sundays anyway).

The arguments about renumbering services are mainly invalid. How many people are still wandering around West Bromwich bus station looking for the 451 stop? With the plethora of information at bus stops and interchanges now, passengers may initially grumble about the renumbering of their bus route, but they soon adapt and get used to it. Yes, I remember the old 451 route, but when I get to West Bromwich bus station now, I can see that if I want to get to Sutton Coldfield, it is the 5 that gets me there and that's the bus I need to catch. It doesn't bother me that there is also a 5 between Birmingham and Solihull, because they are clearly two different routes in different areas.

In defence of shorter 1 or 2 digit route-numbers, the advantage is that they allow for destinations to be displayed clearer on LED displays, as longer route numbers take up much more room.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

AV4248

Quote from: KarlX96 on July 30, 2015, 04:32:44 PM
...You wouldn't happen to know about patronage on the 451/5 route?

Hi Karl X96
Can't really comment on whether patronage has increased since its renumbering but generally passenger numbers seem fine. Only see the West Bromwich side of the route really but it does run quite frequently so I rarely ever see standing loads, very busy workings, etc.

Stuharris 6360

If changing the route number of a bus increased patronage, then surely the bus companies would be doing it all the time.

Bodies like Centro are trying to promote bus travel, ideas as already mentioned like branding and 24 hour services all increase patronage.

Would be interested to know whether customer numbers have increased on routes where new buses have been recently introduced.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

ARBB

Quote from: KarlX96 on July 30, 2015, 02:00:00 PM
It must of got held up somewhere along the route as it wasn't far behind the 251. As I got off the 251 it was right behind it and on the destination blind it said Dudley only. Before you say it could of been the next one along, it couldn't of been as the next one along would't of left Stourbridge until 20 past 12. I know i only takes 5 minutes to get to the stop that I get off at but there would of been people who missed the 251 nd had to get the X96.

I've been on the X96 today..... I've had no problems, left merry hill bus station 3 mins late but what can you expect with diamond using it

Trident 4194

Quote from: pndriver on July 30, 2015, 08:47:45 PM
I've been on the X96 today..... I've had no problems, left merry hill bus station 3 mins late but what can you expect with diamond using it

National express are no saints! @pndriver

ARBB

Quote from: Trident 4194 on July 30, 2015, 08:56:52 PM
National express are no saints! @pndriver

Never said they were  ::) but nx drivers will circle the station instead of blocking it

Stuharris 6360

lets hope when the Dudley Bus review takes place, they allocate stands by operator, then if Diamond or any other operator want to block a stand, then they are only blocking other services they run!

karl724223

Quote from: KarlX96 on August 02, 2015, 12:19:51 PM
They only started circulating the station a few weeks ago. They never used to. I don't know if it's because Centro or the operations manager for the station has said to? Also I have noticed that all operators are supposed to turn off the engine if on stand for more than five minutes. I haven't noticed that especially NX drivers don't?
your only allowed 3 min on stand at merry hill didn't you know that as you work for centro

Trident 4194

Quote from: karl724223 on August 02, 2015, 01:37:28 PM
your only allowed 3 min on stand at merry hill didn't you know that as you work for centro

Nx don't obey that rule on the 241/141

karl724223

domino.99

Quote from: Trident 4194 on August 02, 2015, 01:42:53 PM
Nx don't obey that rule on the 241/141

Proof?

People can't make accusations with out proof, that's libel.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk