News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Buses you'd like NX to have

Started by The Fox 4846, December 31, 2014, 04:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavieDD2

Quote from: Winston on January 03, 2015, 05:05:53 PM
Quote from: DavieDD2 on January 03, 2015, 04:54:39 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on December 31, 2014, 05:49:42 PM
ADL body and Volvo chassis, for some 2001 simulated variation.

Brownie points for anybody who knows what I'm on about.

That would be the Volvo B10B's with Alexander (Belfast) Ultra bodies, the ones that were originally gas powered.

No it wouldn't. They were built in 1996, Volvo B10L's & P-reg.

It's already been answered & LS was refering to VolvoB7TL/ALX400's namely from the 4225-4304 batch.

Yeh, I answered the post before I got to the reply, I should really check the forum a bit more often!

DavieDD2

Quote from: Tony on January 03, 2015, 05:10:05 PM
Quote from: DavieDD2 on January 03, 2015, 05:06:24 PM
Quote from: Tony on January 01, 2015, 09:52:33 AM
Quote from: woody38 on January 01, 2015, 09:32:24 AM
Am I the only one who does not like Wrights or Volvo,s. Wrights will only use Volvo engines, the reason why I hate Volvo so much is because I loved Leyland buses & Volvo closed it Down. ADL Will always come out on top for me there English, and the whole bus is made in the UK. Please NXWM Carry on buying AD buses

ADL are not English! Wrights will only use Volvo engines? So how come all those new Wrights at Arriva have VDL engines in? How come all those Streetlites have Cummins engines in? How come the Streetdeck has a Mercedes engine in?

At least get your facts right (or Wright) before having a moan!

The StreetDeckers have Daimler engines according to the Wright's website!

Mercedes & Daimler-Benz are part of the same company. Now a proper Daimler engine, must be about 55 years since one of those was put in a bus

Ah, no problem Tony, you learn something new every day! I was going by their specs on the website: Daimler 4 cylinder, 5.1 litre OM934 Euro 6 Emission compliant engine
n Voith D854.6 four speed or ZF 6AP1000B six speed automatic gearboxes both with integral retarders

The Fox 4846

I'd like NXWM to buy 40 or 50 Volvo b5L hybrids:
25 for YW for services 2,3 & 35
15 for WN for the 59 mainly but also for services 10 & 28
And maybe 10 for BC for the 24
33 Asda Queslett via Perry Barr, Kingstanding, Pheasey
7 Sutton Coldfield via Witton, Perry Common, Boldmere

Trident 4609

Quote from: The Fox 4846 on January 04, 2015, 12:36:45 PM

You're off your bloody trolley!

WN10 has to have B7RLE's due to the Perton barrier
59 already gets hybrids
28 is a single deck route which has had new E200's recently!

Alex

Quote from: Nathan on January 04, 2015, 12:39:10 PM

59 already gets hybrids

Even then, you wouldn't have enough to do that, as you would need:

11 for the WN59
3 for the WN28
2 for the WN10
resulting in you needing 16 hybrids, also the BC24 gets hybrids regularly, and YW would use any new buses on the 50, more than the 2, 3 and 35
Hypocrites are like flares... a right pain if one goes near you, and really annoying to get rid of...

My YouTube channel: Alex Jones

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjxo69BfENu3fiWuzCNYyg

jack5512

Quote from: ARJ2901 on January 04, 2015, 12:57:07 PM
Quote from: Nathan on January 04, 2015, 12:39:10 PM

59 already gets hybrids

Even then, you wouldn't have enough to do that, as you would need:

11 for the WN59
3 for the WN28
2 for the WN10
resulting in you needing 16 hybrids, also the BC24 gets hybrids regularly, and YW would use any new buses on the 50, more than the 2, 3 and 35

NXWM have b5 for the harboune corridor off WN plus ADL are making NX buses for the next five years

Stu

You do realise that hybrid buses cost twice as much as regular diesel buses?  :o

Without further Green Bus Funding, I doubt NX will be purchasing more hybrids in the future.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tiptonian

A second type of double decker should be considered. Single-sourcing of vehicles is rarely a good idea. Some on here are old enough to remember gearbox problems with Daimler/Leyland Fleetline. Standardization is less important these days thanks to "just in time" spares delivery, so I would like to see trials of other new double deckers.

First, of course, is a Wright StreetDeck.

Second is a variation on the Volvo. While there is constant reference in their publicity to high efficiency and "green credentials", the non-hybrid version still has a transverse engine, while there is a suitable underframe for a longitudinal engine, but only with hybrid transmission. Let us also not forget the original concept for a low floor Volvo 'decker was also longitudinal engined, the B7L, (abandoned when London put a spanner in the works), and so it should be now, a Volvo B5L.

This would give two immediate savings. First, the weight of an angle drive, and second, the power absorbed by this kind of drive line. Added to this, trials could be made using the Automated Manual Transmission, as is already used in the B5LH. AMTs are already operating locally with Midland Classic, albeit in the ADL e200.

I feel this is the way to go. Let us finally rid ourselves of the transverse rear engine for mechanical transmission buses. Fifty-five years of their inefficiencies has been far too long.

Any other new bus trials would, of course, also be welcome. It all adds to the fun.

CL

@Tiptonian - Touché

"I WANT OPTARE METRODECKERS!" - says no one ever. :P lol
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: clayderman on January 16, 2015, 10:38:02 PM
@Tiptonian - Touché

Why not Optare |Metrodeckers!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

CL

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 16, 2015, 10:45:03 PM
Quote from: clayderman on January 16, 2015, 10:38:02 PM
@Tiptonian - Touché

Why not Optare |Metrodeckers!

Horrendous appearance. Don't get me wrong, the Versas & Solo SRs look very smart & elegant* - but the Metrodecker "gets a no from me"...

*only applicable to the versa. :P
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

My vote goes to wrightbus streetdeck with its inline drivetrain apparently makes for quite bus, and of course the  volvo B5TL as I am huge fan of there buses.

Does any one know why the wrightbus volvo B9TL was never bought by TWM it has always struck me as very strange considering how good the B7TL is, I would have thought it was natural progression to move on to the successor. I have only ever seen ARRIVA examples they did look the business brand new.

Mike K

Quote from: 2900 on January 17, 2015, 10:12:08 AM
Does any one know why the wrightbus volvo B9TL was never bought by TWM it has always struck me as very strange considering how good the B7TL is, I would have thought it was natural progression to move on to the successor. I have only ever seen ARRIVA examples they did look the business brand new.

I often thought the same 2900. Most B9TLs in the UK are the shorter wheelbase ones not favoured by NXWM - although Lothian specified the longer version so it must have been an option. I've also read that they are quite heavy, thirsty vehicles so that may have been a factor. And then there's the cost - it seems ADL products are cheaper, but ultimately you get what you pay for. These are just my views; would be interesting to hear an 'insider' perspective.

DavieDD2

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk