News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

central coachways

Started by Solo1, December 04, 2014, 06:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solo1

Any one got a fleet list of the buses central used to run as I don't recall the dodge bus I know they had ivecos  & Leyland nationals

busfan2847

Quote from: Solo1 on December 04, 2014, 06:52:34 AM
Any one got a fleet list of the buses central used to run as I don't recall the dodge bus I know they had ivecos  & Leyland nationals

I think this is a full list of WM Travel buses operated by Central Coachways in Blue livery
Dodge: 568/72/9/81; Iveco: 584-589/91-596; Leyland National: 1008/11, 1481/3/8, 1505/6/16/20/2/4, 1801-1805/7/9-1811/3/4/8/30/6/7/9/40/6

In Birmingham CC operated two circuitous routes (43, 44) from the city to the southern suburbs and in West Bromwich CC operated some tendered Sunday minibus routes. Services started at the end of November 1993. WMT had second thoughts about the subsidiary fleets in 1994 and the services and buses passed back to WMT on 4th July 1994.

Bob

Its mad to think Central were owned by the Co op before wumpty

Stevo

Wumpty built it up into a quality operator with the London Liner and a fleet of heavyweight coaches, MCW and Bova. It was a shame when it became a low-cost operation. Those days in the 1990s were the worst-managed time for WMT - anyone remember Selly Oak garage jam packed with Midland Red West Nationals that were supposed to be done up and used instead of buying new buses? Almost all went for scrap.

Bob

It was an interesting time for enthusiasts though,  all those non-west midlands nationals, even the PTF-L ones older than wmts oldest, and the volvo engined DPs pressed back in to service at walsall,  they had the most comfortable seating ever. And the east lancs fleetlines moving over, and a couple of standard fleetlines incl a TVP-S example that was always a rare treat to see out and about

Gareth

Quote from: Stevo on December 06, 2014, 10:23:58 AM
Wumpty built it up into a quality operator with the London Liner and a fleet of heavyweight coaches, MCW and Bova. It was a shame when it became a low-cost operation. Those days in the 1990s were the worst-managed time for WMT - anyone remember Selly Oak garage jam packed with Midland Red West Nationals that were supposed to be done up and used instead of buying new buses? Almost all went for scrap.

I believe the Midland Red West nationals were purchased to stop other operators buying them and competing with WMT, a completely strategic move.

Tony

Quote from: Gareth on December 06, 2014, 12:27:42 PM

I believe the Midland Red West nationals were purchased to stop other operators buying them and competing with WMT, a completely strategic move.

A few were used
http://wmbusphotos.com/NXWM/gonebatches/Nationals/1633.html

winston

Quote from: Tony on December 06, 2014, 12:44:21 PM

A few were used

Some worked at Travel Yourbus, Travel Merry Hill & I believe others went to WMT owned North East Bus at the TMS operation

Selly Oak also housed all the former 'Tame Valley' fleet.

Wasn't it during the early 90's when WMT were making 20%+ profit margins & were one of the most/if not the most profitable bus companies in the UK?

Cheese

Quote from: Winston on December 06, 2014, 02:16:58 PM

A few were used

Some worked at Travel Yourbus, Travel Merry Hill & I believe others went to WMT owned North East Bus at the TMS operation

Wasn't it during the early 90's when WMT were making 20%+ profit margins & were one of the most/if not the most profitable bus companies in the UK?

Somewhere I have a pic of XOV748T taken on Stockton High Street in the mid 90s which was one of the ex Midland Red ones I think.  Also graphed that day in Stockton were ROK467M, TOE521N and EGB79T which I suspect was in WMT livery but looking at Flickr would appear to have been a Metrowest vehicle.

winston

Quote from: Cheese on December 06, 2014, 03:12:16 PM
Quote from: Winston on December 06, 2014, 02:16:58 PM

A few were used

Somewhere I have a pic of XOV748T taken on Stockton High Street in the mid 90s which was one of the ex Midland Red ones I think.  Also graphed that day in Stockton were ROK467M, TOE521N and EGB79T which I suspect was in WMT livery but looking at Flickr would appear to have been a Metrowest vehicle.

XOV748T was ex MRW. I seem to remember VOD601S in TMS livery which was also MRW. ROK467M & TOE521N were new to WMPTE, but more than likely done stints at either Yourbus or Metrowest as they were allocated to Hartshill Garage. They may have done further service at WM Buses Wolverhampton before transferring to the North East.

I can't remember but I think EGB79T may have been an ex Tame Valley bus prior to moving to Metrowest?

Bob

Did 1633 get fitted with a volvo engine,?

Tony

Quote from: Bob on December 06, 2014, 03:44:36 PM

No it was one of a few put into service in pure ex MRW condition except for a paint job

winston

Quote from: Tony on December 06, 2014, 03:52:32 PM
Quote from: Bob on December 06, 2014, 03:44:36 PM

No it was one of a few put into service in pure ex MRW condition except for a paint job

BVP773V was put in to service at TYB with its Leyland engine

1633 may have seen service with its original Leyland engine, but 1633 was Volvo re-engined (you can just see the additional grille added in the rear side panel in Ron's photo)

The grilles is clearer in this photo when in TYB livery
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4105/4841608399_9a1dea52d4.jpg

All the national that ended up at North East Bus or Highland Country were either DAF or Volvo re-engined

Just dug out an old WM Bus Handbook (by April 1996)
TYB 101-106 UHG734S/CBV785S/UHG740S/UHG725S/NTC623M/NTC619M
TYB 113-117 PUK633R/PUK634R/NTC606M/NTC609M/NTC612M
WMB 1631 STJ31T
WMB 1648 LMB948P
WMB 1659 SGR559R
WMB 1662 LJN662P
WMB 1731 VNO731S
WMB 1734 STJ34T
WMB 1745 PTF745L
WMB 1821/5 OOX821/5R
WMB 1854/56/62-65 TYP854/56/62-65S
Were all Volvo engined

WMB 1758 PTF758L was DAF engined along with the remainder of the native ROK---N, TOE---N, OOX---R, TVP---S & AOL--T examples

Westy

Quote from: Bob on December 06, 2014, 11:16:29 AM
It was an interesting time for enthusiasts though,  all those non-west midlands nationals, even the PTF-L ones older than wmts oldest, and the volvo engined DPs pressed back in to service at walsall,  they had the most comfortable seating ever. And the east lancs fleetlines moving over, and a couple of standard fleetlines incl a TVP-S example that was always a rare treat to see out and about

Didnt one of those East Lancs Fleetlines get involved in a accident while at Walsall?

Sure I have a vague memory of seeing something in the local rag.

Bob

Were all the national 2s Daf or did any keep their 0.680s? Or was it L11

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk