News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: jasmine on July 04, 2024, 05:33:35 PMBecause given that common sense isnt so common and X sometimes means express version of another route (51/X51, 8/X8) You can forgive people for thinking it was the same for 2 and X2, 3 and X3, 4 and X4, 5 and X5, 12 and X12, 13 and X13, 14 and X14
But it doesn't happen though, that's my point.

The same as you never hear about people getting confused by the A2, A4, A5, A6 and A12 in Solihull, thinking they are the X2, 4, 5, 6 or X12.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

jasmine

16/16A "enjoyer"

Rachvince53

The 8/X8 only share a small part of common route (Wolves-Dudley) so including that with the 51/X51 is misleading as they share much more of the same route (Walsall - Bham)

Stu

Quote from: Rachvince53 on July 04, 2024, 07:40:52 PMThe 8/X8 only share a small part of common route (Wolves-Dudley) so including that with the 51/X51 is misleading as they share much more of the same route (Walsall - Bham)
Yes, in both those examples, they may share some commonality but they are still different routes.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

jasmine

stupid stupid dumb route i made connecting a bunch of schools in sandwell and birmingham following bits of the old 424, 16, 61, 54/54A and 101

The route connects:
  • Q3 Acadamy
  • Grove Vale Primary School
  • Hamstead Junior School
  • Ferndale Primary School
  • St Marks Catholic School
  • Hamstead Hall Academy
  • Grestone Academy
  • St John Wall Catholic School

Via:
  • Grove Vale
  • Newton
  • Gorse Farm
  • Dyas
  • Hamstead Village
  • Handsworth Wood
  • Handsworth

I number it the 58 because the average of the aforementioned still existing route numbers is 58 (16+54+61+101)/4=58

unsure on the thresholds operators allow for double deckers to go under a bridge but the bridge on Spouthouse Ln is 4.4 meters tall

route video
16/16A "enjoyer"

Jack

Deckers wouldn't be able to get under Spouthouse Lane.

I (as like most others round here) aren't happy about the 424 going and leaving estates with a very long walk to the nearest bus service especially for elderly people. Grove Vale and Longleat are the worst. A lot of Great Barr is steep so not sure how they are expecting OAP's to hike up Monksfield Avenue and Whitecrest etc. It's a shame the 61 couldn't have taken over a loop of the area similiar to the 424.

From Scott Arms turn right up to Sundial Avenue, along Hollywood and then onto the Whitecrest and serve main thoroughfare where a lot of passengers (elderly including my own family) used this service. Then onto Abbotsford Avenue, and back onto the A34 and u-turn itself back up to Wilderness Lane and serve Longleat and Grove Vale Primary School then back onto Newton Road to Scott Arms.

To leave such a big gap between bus services and also a service which was a lifeline for a lot of elderly people here is shocking with no replacement.  

The main passenger usage on the 424 during its last few years was the Whitecrest, Q3 & Grove Vale section. I assume whoever's idea was to do that was the same person who thought replacing the 46 with the 16 and 16A which are dreadful, but that's another topic of discussion...

jasmine

Quote from: jasmine on July 09, 2024, 02:55:06 PMstupid stupid dumb route i made connecting a bunch of schools in sandwell and birmingham following bits of the old 424, 16, 61, 54/54A and 101

The route connects:
  • Q3 Acadamy
  • Grove Vale Primary School
  • Hamstead Junior School
  • Ferndale Primary School
  • St Marks Catholic School
  • Hamstead Hall Academy
  • Grestone Academy
  • St John Wall Catholic School

Via:
  • Grove Vale
  • Newton
  • Gorse Farm
  • Dyas
  • Hamstead Village
  • Handsworth Wood
  • Handsworth

I number it the 58 because the average of the aforementioned still existing route numbers is 58 (16+54+61+101)/4=58

unsure on the thresholds operators allow for double deckers to go under a bridge but the bridge on Spouthouse Ln is 4.4 meters tall

route video
alternative 58A that connects Holy Name Catholic Primary School, goes around Great Barr Interchange and goes up Friary Road, Handsworth Wood Road and Church Lane like the 54/54A. Here it is superimposed on the 58
16/16A "enjoyer"

Lukeee

Quote from: Jack on July 09, 2024, 03:16:31 PMDeckers wouldn't be able to get under Spouthouse Lane.

I (as like most others round here) aren't happy about the 424 going and leaving estates with a very long walk to the nearest bus service especially for elderly people. Grove Vale and Longleat are the worst. A lot of Great Barr is steep so not sure how they are expecting OAP's to hike up Monksfield Avenue and Whitecrest etc. It's a shame the 61 couldn't have taken over a loop of the area similiar to the 424.

From Scott Arms turn right up to Sundial Avenue, along Hollywood and then onto the Whitecrest and serve main thoroughfare where a lot of passengers (elderly including my own family) used this service. Then onto Abbotsford Avenue, and back onto the A34 and u-turn itself back up to Wilderness Lane and serve Longleat and Grove Vale Primary School then back onto Newton Road to Scott Arms.

To leave such a big gap between bus services and also a service which was a lifeline for a lot of elderly people here is shocking with no replacement. 

The main passenger usage on the 424 during its last few years was the Whitecrest, Q3 & Grove Vale section. I assume whoever's idea was to do that was the same person who thought replacing the 46 with the 16 and 16A which are dreadful, but that's another topic of discussion...
Depends what double decker? Using NXs fleet as an example Gemini's, E400s and platinum MMC would fit under 

Tony

Quote from: Lukeee on July 09, 2024, 07:03:32 PMDepends what double decker? Using NXs fleet as an example Gemini's, E400s and platinum MMC would fit under
Only buses that wouldn't are the 4 Omnicitys

BlackCountryBusSpotter

A simple change maybe for the Soho Road corridor which is currently every 5 minutes due to the 74. But I would make the 74 Birmingham to Dudley as normal and replace the short 74's with say a 75 to West Bromwich on the very rare chance I get the 74 back from Birmingham I notice no one seems to wait for the 74 to West Bromwich if they are just going the short justice they all cram onto the first 74 they see. So to elevate this change the number of the 74 shorts to the 75 so there is a clear difference and maybe if needed the 75 can become a 74 to Dudley at WB
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

Westy

We had one of these 'For The Attention Of The Occupier' letters through the door.

It appears that Lidl want to build a new store & distribution warehouse on existing land they own in Leamore & asking for comments etc.

If you know the area, which is opposite the South Staffs Waterworks premises, it is on Green Lane, which used to be on the various Walsall to Cannock routes.

Wonder, if it comes off, whether we might get a bus back along our road as a result?

Celestial Toymaker

Can't keep up with bus services renumbering so just in general, as Portland Road  is (in my opinion) over bused, could a service be diverted to run Portland Rd, Right into Rotton Park Rd, Left onto City Rd then normal line of route, same in reverse, seems logical to send something via Rotton Park Rd as there i s a new estate down there, and i think it would be popular, maybe put the stop by the old branch line ?

just a thought ignore me, most people do !!
3000 F300 XOF

like 3000 I do not exist anymore........ worth nothing as scrap either

Rachvince53

Quote from: Celestial Toymaker on July 31, 2024, 02:26:53 PMCan't keep up with bus services renumbering so just in general, as Portland Road  is (in my opinion) over bused, could a service be diverted to run Portland Rd, Right into Rotton Park Rd, Left onto City Rd then normal line of route, same in reverse, seems logical to send something via Rotton Park Rd as there i s a new estate down there, and i think it would be popular, maybe put the stop by the old branch line ?

Could do but a concern would be the sharp left turn out of Rotten Park Road into the very busy City Road. I'm not a driver but I would imagine a bus would need to use the full width of City Road to make the turn.

jasmine

Quote from: Rachvince53 on July 31, 2024, 02:53:07 PMCould do but a concern would be the sharp left turn out of Rotten Park Road into the very busy City Road. I'm not a driver but I would imagine a bus would need to use the full width of City Road to make the turn.
buses can do it, as a person who used to live on that corner, when the 80 had to be diverted from Icknield Port Road, it went down Gillot Road and Rotton Park Road and turned left on that corner to resume course on City Road without issue.
16/16A "enjoyer"

Sh4318

Quote from: Celestial Toymaker on July 31, 2024, 02:26:53 PMCan't keep up with bus services renumbering so just in general, as Portland Road  is (in my opinion) over bused, could a service be diverted to run Portland Rd, Right into Rotton Park Rd, Left onto City Rd then normal line of route, same in reverse, seems logical to send something via Rotton Park Rd as there i s a new estate down there, and i think it would be popular, maybe put the stop by the old branch line ?

Overbused? If anything, it's underbused, if you get a service that serves Portland Road at peak times, there's a chance you'll be standing
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk