News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

It would make a lot more sense for the 28 to do the Perry Beeches/Scott Arms route during Sunday's and evenings. Also the 28 does this pointless extension because the 28A doesn't run evenings and Sundays.

Busboy105

What about if the 28A replaces the 28 between Small Heath and Heartlands Hospital fully by running evenings and Sundays. That way the 28 still keeps its 30 minutes frequency while it could be a boost for Diamond as they don't have a lot of services running around those times.

Busboy105

So NX have recently extended the X3 and the X51 to Cannock and Lichfield so I was thinking....
I would create a 50X that will run between Birmingham and Redditch (I know that the 150 does that but hear me out) but it will run as a limited stop service to Wythall where it will serve the Hollywood Bypass between Maypole and Wythall and then follow the 150 to Redditch.
Frequency would probably be every 20 or 30 minutes Monday to Saturday (not sure on Sundays).
Evening journeys will terminate at Maypole.

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Busboy105 on September 12, 2019, 07:59:20 PM
So NX have recently extended the X3 and the X51 to Cannock and Lichfield so I was thinking....
I would create a 50X that will run between Birmingham and Redditch (I know that the 150 does that but hear me out) but it will run as a limited stop service to Wythall where it will serve the Hollywood Bypass between Maypole and Wythall and then follow the 150 to Redditch.
Frequency would probably be every 20 or 30 minutes Monday to Saturday (not sure on Sundays).
Evening journeys will terminate at Maypole.
Absolutely no point whatsoever, would cost a fortune and would carry fresh air

Wumpty

Quote from: Steve3229vp on September 12, 2019, 08:18:59 PM
Absolutely no point whatsoever, would cost a fortune and would carry fresh air

With respect Steve, the thread asks what would YOU do, and Busboy has given an opinion. I think his contribution is valid and a fair one - the commercial viability is a separate issue.

What would YOU do with this section of route? Always good to get a second opinion.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Steve3229vp

There is nothing that can be done about it really, even if NX was to operate along that route the passenger numbers would only increase slightly due to travelcards maybe. It's never been a frequent corridor and it's very unlikely to change.

Stu

NX previously operated a peak-time 50A service to/from Wythall, but was withdrawn due to 'lack of use'.

It's an interesting idea, but I don't know how well used the 150 is through Hollywood and Wythall, and how many passengers from Birmingham use it to travel all the way to Redditch, to be able to comment on whether it would be worthwhile using Hollywood Bypass to miss those areas out.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

j789

Quote from: Stu on September 13, 2019, 07:05:19 PM
NX previously operated a peak-time 50A service to/from Wythall, but was withdrawn due to 'lack of use'.

It's an interesting idea, but I don't know how well used the 150 is through Hollywood and Wythall, and how many passengers from Birmingham use it to travel all the way to Redditch, to be able to comment on whether it would be worthwhile using Hollywood Bypass to miss those areas out.

The only way the 50a would work would be to have it as a more frequent all day service. I have suggested before that one bus every 20 minutes could go to Wythall instead of Druids Heath from the Maypole. If it went straight down the Hollywood bypass to a Becketts island then did the route back through Wythall and Hollywood to the Maypole it could be done in about 15 minutes. The buses at aDruids Heath seem to have about several minutes parked up time at the terminus so taking away that plus the time to and from there to the maypole would probably equal about 15 minutes too, so it could be changed without needing any extra vehicles.

The only issue would be that the 50a would not get any make up time at its outer terminus. This however I do not think is a major problem as at the Maypole the normal 50 will still be able to maintain a mostly 4-5 minute frequency so could fill any gap if there was a delay. Also, if the 50a was inter run with the 50 then on its second trip it would get the make up time at Druids Heath. Wythall is a large area, with significant social housing as well as affluent areas , and is crying out for such a service. The A4 is not great as irregular as is the 150 service .

MasterPlan

I'm well aware it doesn't go there anymore but not so long ago I took the 23 to get to Cromwell Lane and it felt like it took an eternity. I'm not sure whether this used to be the case when the 22 ran also, but it seems to go right round the wrekin now serving every single side road possible in Bartley Green and Woodgate. So personally I'd cut it back to Wood Lane terminus and have Newman Uni served by the X21 or X22. The X21 would go Woodcock Lane, Cromwell Lane, Genners Approach before terminating on Genners Lane adjacent to the Uni then turning back on itself to go back the same way.
Hillwood Road and Moors Lane would not be served, so I'd add stops on Woodcock Lane and Cromwell Lane respectively for that purpose.
Just feel that it's quicker for people around there going this way than all the way around Woodgate etc. As for the X22 not sure on that one, but it isn't far away anyway.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Sayeed

Quote from: MasterPlan on July 23, 2019, 06:30:47 AM
I'd still replace the 10H with a 25 though. Which would follow the 24 out of City & Harborne but turn left at Quinton, West Boulevard to serve Weoley Castle and terminate at Shenley Fields. With the introduction of these two you could probably drop the 24 frequency a little bit and maybe have the 24/25 interworking.
Then either cut the 27 away from Harborne/Weoley Castle altogether or curtail it to Weoley Castle and have it serve Swathmore Road instead.

I know this is old post and again some of the things won't make sense to others. However, I recently thought about this and frankly, it would be just better to bring back 29 route and at 30 minutes frequency and hourly after 9pm. But of course, this will likely to see frequency cut on the likes of X21 and X22 routes after University station and so I thought it would be better to have the new route number or letter, instead of short journeys.

Also, if the 27 route goes back to previous route, I thought about the 48 route replacement particularly on the old 84 route section. My thinking was like cut the 48 to QEHB and replace the route number of the 84 route section to 11H and extend it to Acocks Green, maybe? So it can interwork with 1A both ends?

Век живи - век учись

Quote from: Sayeed on September 22, 2019, 10:21:51 PM
I know this is old post and again some of the things won't make sense to others. However, I recently thought about this and frankly, it would be just better to bring back 29 route and at 30 minutes frequency and hourly after 9pm. But of course, this will likely to see frequency cut on the likes of X21 and X22 routes after University station and so I thought it would be better to have the new route number or letter, instead of short journeys.

Also, if the 27 route goes back to previous route, I thought about the 48 route replacement particularly on the old 84 route section. My thinking was like cut the 48 to QEHB and replace the route number of the 84 route section to 11H and extend it to Acocks Green, maybe? So it can interwork with 1A both ends?

The 48 goes to Hawkesley, like the 84 used to. The 11 and 48 follow the same line of route from Selly Oak to Cotteridge, where they separate and go completely different ways. 48 to Hawkesley and Northfield, whilst the 11 goes to Kings Heath, Sarehole Mill and Acocks Green. So can't see how it would even be possible to extend the old 84 section of the 48 route to Acocks Green.

X20/X21/X22 always are popular and well used routes. So can't see why they should be cut back.

Would there even be much benefit to a 11H, the 11 currently provides a frequent service around the Outer Circle. Passengers at QEHB can also currently take the 1A to Acocks Green, 76 to Kings Heath, or 48 to Cotteridge?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Busboy105

How about cut the 48 to the Q.E and reintroduce the 84 running every 30 minutes between The Q.E and Northfield. Wouldn't that be a better idea?

Sh4318

Completely random. But would an every 30 minutes 20B on Sunday - during the day work. Buses every 10 minutes along the Foleshill Road, 4 buses an hour to Oban, I was thinking something along the lines of

20   20A   20B   20  20A  20B
xx:00   xx:10   xx:20   xx:30   xx:40   xx:50
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Sayeed

Quote from: Busboy105 on September 23, 2019, 07:18:51 PM
How about cut the 48 to the Q.E and reintroduce the 84 running every 30 minutes between The Q.E and Northfield. Wouldn't that be a better idea?

Or how about bring it back how it previously run to Hawkesley? It is well used during peak hours and I am surprised it is picking up few passengers in the afternoon on half hourly frequency. Weekend however, hourly frequency would be fine.
Век живи - век учись

BusMan Greg

I would extend the X4 From Minworth to Tamworth Via Kingsbury & Dosthill. This service would run every 30 mins in the daytime and every hour in the evenings. I would also extend the X5 from Roughly to Tamworth on a similar route to the 110. This would go via Mile Oak, Sir Robert Peel hosp & Fazley. This would run every 20 mins during the daytime monday to Saturday & every 30 mins during the evening & every hour on Sundays.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk