News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the trainbasher

Quote from: Dom on January 07, 2017, 08:11:05 PM
Why change something that's not broken...

- Creates easy identification along a corridor
- Allows for the start of the 'Simplification' of the route numbers in Dudley
- Removes non standard route numbers (4H/4M)
- Creates additional journeys that can compete against Diamond both on the Walsall/West Bromwich section, plus also Walsall/Halesowen
- Every 4-5 minutes PEAK frequency Walsall/Oldbury (when the 4E Blackheath would run) would reduce overcrowding on the corridor
- Means that WB can use their smaller E200s on more of their local routes/transfer to PN for 243/4
- Diversion of the 121 replacement via Regent Road/Elm Terrace/City Road allows new direct buses to Walsall, plus allows for bigger bus
- Diversion of the 208 via Regent Road/Wheatsheaf Road every two hours creates new buses to connect to Merry Hill.
- NEW 209 via Tower Road/Wheatsheaf Road in lieu of Newbury Road & replace the 289 on Dalton Road/Cox's Lane every 2 hours
- 208 to run via Quarry Road in Cradley Heath replacing the 289. 209 would run via Halesowen Rd/Saltwells Rd/Dudley Wood Rd
- 4A would fully replace the 244 round Hayley Green, meaning that there would be no confusion for 2 different 4H services.
- 289 could be withdrawn and replaced around Lion Farm by NEW 89A/Cradley Heath and Old Hill by 208/209

Alternatively...

Withdraw the 121 between WB and Oldbury, reduce it to hourly, and merge it with the 122, extend to Birmingham.
Use the 122 designation for a service running Dudley - Elm Terrace - Oldbury - Langley Green Stn - Victoria Rd - Francis Rd - Thimblemill Rd - Bearwood - City service (replacing parts of the 21 which would run via CEMETERY ROAD - WEST PARK ROAD - DEVONSHIRE ROAD - SMETHWICK HIGH STREET - BEARWOOD ROAD)

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

sonic84

I do like the idea of the 121 and 122 combining. Having not used the 121 before would an hourly service be sufficient on that stretch of the route?

the trainbasher

Quote from: sonic84 on January 08, 2017, 07:23:53 PM
I do like the idea of the 121 and 122 combining. Having not used the 121 before would an hourly service be sufficient on that stretch of the route?

All that would be upset was a few old grannies

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

sonic84

Another change I would do is take the 147 out of Hayley Green and run it direct to Halesowen from Grange Road island. I would also extend it from Catshill to Bromsgrove to it is more useful for Romsley passengers. There is certainly time of the timetable to do it.

Trident 4194

Quote from: sonic84 on January 15, 2017, 07:41:39 PM
Another change I would do is take the 147 out of Hayley Green and run it direct to Halesowen from Grange Road island. I would also extend it from Catshill to Bromsgrove to it is more useful for Romsley passengers. There is certainly time of the timetable to do it.

Meh, definitely extend to Bromsgrove though

Kevin

Quote from: sonic84 on January 15, 2017, 07:41:39 PM

I'm minded to agree but for one small matter:  If it were so much more useful, why did no one use it when it existed under First?
Perhaps the hourly frequency was too much, I reckon a frequency more akin to the current 318 to Stourbridge would suffice
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

MasterPlan

What about this:

X21 - New Limited Stop service, Birmingham - Woodgate, via Five Ways, University, QE Hospital, Selly Oak, Weoley Castle and Bartley Green.

64 - replacing the existing X64 service, Birmingham - Rednal, via Bristol Road, Selly Oak, Northfield and Longbridge. Operating with the 63 from Carrs Lane.

The X21 would serve 0 stops between Five Ways and Green Man, Harborne then full stop onwards other than going around the QE loop, stopping nearby only before carrying on up New Fosse Way towards Weoley Castle.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Tony

Quote from: MasterPlan on January 16, 2017, 01:37:19 PM
What about this:

X21 - New Limited Stop service, Birmingham - Woodgate, via Five Ways, University, QE Hospital, Selly Oak, Weoley Castle and Bartley Green.

64 - replacing the existing X64 service, Birmingham - Rednal, via Bristol Road, Selly Oak, Northfield and Longbridge. Operating with the 63 from Carrs Lane.

The X21 would serve 0 stops between Five Ways and Green Man, Harborne then full stop onwards other than going around the QE loop, stopping nearby only before carrying on up New Fosse Way towards Weoley Castle.

How many buses would that cost?

GeminiFan1991

With the advent of the X61, I don't think we need another limited stop service going through Selly Oak.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

MasterPlan

Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

karl724223

GeminiFan1991

Is their any viability of a Coventry to Solihull route ? I believe an operator is already the running the route but I mean NX taking the route on.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Tony

Quote from: MasterPlan on January 16, 2017, 06:20:35 PM
I don't know.

We'd all like loads of buses running everywhere we might want to go, unfortunately someone has to pay. I have no problem with fantasy routes that are never going to happen being posted on here, but don't think an operator would take any suggestions seriously if they are going to cost a lot of money

Tony

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on January 16, 2017, 07:45:46 PM
Is their any viability of a Coventry to Solihull route ? I believe an operator is already the running the route but I mean NX taking the route on.

So why would one operator want to go on a marginal route that another operator is already running on. The fact NX have dropped it once tells you it is marginal, that's not to say Diamond aren't making any money out of it, but it does mean if another operator went on there the likelihood is both would make big losses

Stu

If all these people who say they'd love NX to operate a route between Coventry and Solihull had actually caught the old 192 and 194 routes, then perhaps they'd still be running now.

Likewise, what's all the fuss about the old 21 route about? Again, if it was such a useful and successful route, why was it withdrawn then?

Times change, travelling habits change, and routes have to change as a result. What was great back in the 80s or 90s may not be so useful or cost-effective here in the 21st century.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk